When To Vaccinate Bitches Prior To Mating

Hi

My bitch is due in season anytime of course she is late this time as i'm hanging out to mate her. This will be my first litter after owning show /obedience/agility dogs for 20 years so i'm rather nervous.

I'm wondering when the best time to vaccinate is. She is due for her yearly vaccinations in July so around the time she will be due providing she comes in in the next week or so as planned....

Do i do it before i mate her? I probably should ask my vet but figure that all the knowledgable people out here can answer me.

Thanks

Hi

Great thanks yes she has been done yearly i was just hoping she had enough immunity to pass onto her babies but was concerned about vacinating her so close to coming in season should be any day (well 3 days ago... but whos counting...)

International standard now is to vaccinate with the core vaccines (hepatitis, distemper, parvo) only every 3 years.

Non core optional vaccines such as kennel cough, lepto, etc, must generally still be done yearly.

If she were mine I probably wouldn't boost her before mating. If you're worried if she will have enough maternally derived antibodies to pass on, a titre test would let you know.

Agree with other posters here. Personally, I would wait until the babies have their vaccinations and just do Mum at that time. :provoke:

If you vaccinate yearly (although as mentioned every 3 yrs is now recommended) - the vaccination does not have to happen EXACTLY 365 days since last time! :D So, give or take a month?? No problems. :wave:

No need to vaccinate her at all; she has obviously had her puppy shots and yearly boosters so she has enough protection to last her for a lifetime; unless you need to board her I would not vaccinate her ever again. If you do an online search on the negative side effects of vaccinating every year you should be convinced that your dog will be far far healthier for it if she never gets immunised again.

Although I tend to agree with Abigail, you might want to note that competing dogs (whether agility, obedience or conformation) still have to be vaccinated....and very few clubs allow titre tests for antibodies. :thumbsup:

Although I tend to agree with Abigail, you might want to note that competing dogs (whether agility, obedience or conformation) still have to be vaccinated....and very few clubs allow titre tests for antibodies. :thumbsup:

Isn't is pathetic that such clubs are still stuck in a time warp? About time they pull their head out of the sand and start

reading and learning a thing or two! So many dogs having to suffer auto immune diseases simply because of sheer ignorance! :thumbsup:

I asked my vet the same question as my girls were due on season & due their vaccs.

Asked how close to mating was safe time wise, did I have to wait a week or so after the vaccs.

Was told it doesn't matter how close as long as they were done before actually mating them.

Isn't is pathetic that such clubs are still stuck in a time warp? About time they pull their head out of the sand and start

reading and learning a thing or two! So many dogs having to suffer auto immune diseases simply because of sheer ignorance! :thumbsup:

I couldn't agree more.

I think it is a shame that the people that hold these fixtures don't know much about the the health of the dogs they promote.

Maybe they don't know as much about dogs as they think they do. If they did they would not subject the dogs to auto immune disease.

JMHO.

I asked my vet the same question as my girls were due on season & due their vaccs.

Asked how close to mating was safe time wise, did I have to wait a week or so after the vaccs.

Was told it doesn't matter how close as long as they were done before actually mating them.

I am known for my endless patience but my patience wears very thin when people are out to make money to the detriment of our pet's welfare! F***k me dead when frickin so-called "vets" in australia still maintain that yearly boosters are an absolute necessity.

Although I tend to agree with Abigail, you might want to note that competing dogs (whether agility, obedience or conformation) still have to be vaccinated....and very few clubs allow titre tests for antibodies. :love:

reading and learning a thing or two! So many dogs having to suffer auto immune diseases simply because of sheer ignorance! :)

My current obedience is currently debating this same subject.They had a meeting the other night with a vet guest speaker but I guess it depends if the vet is for or against yearly vaccinations as to how they came across