Walking On A Lead

Hi all :hug: ,

I need some advice on how to get a 7 month old boxer pup to walk nicly on the lead. He is massive for 7 months and really strong. He is just so excited when he is out on walks and pulls constantly and zig zags in front of you when walking. He also lunges at other dogs when walking past them in a playful fasion but it is scary for the other dogs. He is a truely beautiful and lovely natured boy, but just needs some leash training.

Thanks!

Hi all :dancingelephant: ,

I need some advice on how to get a 7 month old boxer pup to walk nicly on the lead. He is massive for 7 months and really strong. He is just so excited when he is out on walks and pulls constantly and zig zags in front of you when walking. He also lunges at other dogs when walking past them in a playful fasion but it is scary for the other dogs. He is a truely beautiful and lovely natured boy, but just needs some leash training.

Thanks!

My lab does the same thing, i try now get him to look at me when another dog is walking nearby and when he looks at me he gets a treat, I taught him this with clicker training. You can also make him sit and wait for the other dog to be out of sight and then continue if its possible. Its really hard and I know how you feel, some days my dog is very difficult to walk.

basically my trainers said you should not take one step while the dog is pulling, so when you're dog pulls you stop, coax him bak to you then continue, when he pulls you stop coax him back then continue...that can be a very long process...but it works for them, I myself have a halti for raz (which he hates) so i give him a chance soon as he pulls the halti goes on, he has learned to not get the halti he doesnt pull, so now he only really pulls in exciting circumstances not on our regurlar daily walks

Hi all :rainbowbridge: ,

Thanks!

I was told that you should continue walking... do not stop and sit the dog. Put the dog into a position where it can't get in front of you and have the dog in the opposite side of your body when you walk past to the side the other people/dogs are walking treat him when you are content with it. Yes it will be a long process also when you are walking if you can teach him some focus it will help.

hi persephone :) ,

No he is not my dog, he lives next door and we take him out for runs and walks becuase his owner is elderly and can't take him out all the time. She does however have a regular dog walker come and walk all her dogs 3 times a week.

Also thanks Jettyjet for your suggestion too! :o

Edited by Alfie02