Elbie, Hoover, Dodge & Friends!

Whoa! Which one???? I just read the last page. I think if I read the rest, my blood may boil.

The post was deleted very quickly but it was this one. I think it's just that labradors have become the 'personification' of the friendly, bouncy dog and on DOL, some regard Friendly as Rude. Every time I see one of those threads ('just being friendly', I know where it's going to end up :)

In other news, I'm glad it was just a false alarm KTB. Though nonetheless frightening :)

Thank you ;) I was very frightened when we were driving in but am relieved that Papa Koala is still around.

Edited by koalathebear

Whoa! Which one???? I just read the last page. I think if I read the rest, my blood may boil.

The post was deleted very quickly but it was this one. I think it's just that labradors have become the 'personification' of the friendly, bouncy dog and on DOL, some regard Friendly as Rude. Every time I see one of those threads ('just being friendly', I know where it's going to end up :rofl:

In other news, I'm glad it was just a false alarm KTB. Though nonetheless frightening ;)

Thank you :rofl: I was very frightened when we were driving in but am relieved that Papa Koala is still around.

Whoooaaa. I can't get involved in those threads either. It just baffles me how many people say they will kick someone elses dog just for running up to them in an off leash area. Without seeing whether the dog is trying to play, or whether it actually is being aggressive.

Whoooaaa. I can't get involved in those threads either. It just baffles me how many people say they will kick someone elses dog just for running up to them in an off leash area. Without seeing whether the dog is trying to play, or whether it actually is being aggressive.

That scares me too :rofl: Thankfully we don't meet many people like that out and about. On occasion Satch has spotted someone before me and run off to say hello, I always apologise but he is a DOG, not a robot ;) If a small fluffy tells him off he runs away ;)

Anyway, my two love labradors :rofl:

yikes. :rofl: that's just a wee bit OTT. I've stuck to reading the general section these days, and don't get too involved in the crazy posts. It's not worth it.

KTB - glad it was only a false alarm.

So, Kuma Bear is off to the vet today. He chucked a wobbly at the end of his leash the other night when we went out for a walk... managed to get his front right leg caught in the lead and came down hard. He was limping a wee bit but seemed ok, we finished our walk and he wasn't limping when we got home. On Sunday he was a bit unsteady, but not too bad. Then yesterday morning when we left home, he was unsteady again. OH called me yesteday arvo saying he is worse and he's booked into the vet. Poor little bugger is limping quite a bit now, but is so stoic about it. No whinging at all - but I reckon he is in butt loads of pain. Fingers crossed he's ok... they'll probably want to sedate him because he's too strong to have a good look. ;) :xmassmile:

Ok... gotta get to work... I have so much to finish off before the end of the year! at least I have finished travelling for this year! :rofl: ;)

yikes. :rofl: that's just a wee bit OTT. I've stuck to reading the general section these days, and don't get too involved in the crazy posts. It's not worth it.

KTB - glad it was only a false alarm.

So, Kuma Bear is off to the vet today. He chucked a wobbly at the end of his leash the other night when we went out for a walk... managed to get his front right leg caught in the lead and came down hard. He was limping a wee bit but seemed ok, we finished our walk and he wasn't limping when we got home. On Sunday he was a bit unsteady, but not too bad. Then yesterday morning when we left home, he was unsteady again. OH called me yesteday arvo saying he is worse and he's booked into the vet. Poor little bugger is limping quite a bit now, but is so stoic about it. No whinging at all - but I reckon he is in butt loads of pain. Fingers crossed he's ok... they'll probably want to sedate him because he's too strong to have a good look. ;) :xmassmile:

Ok... gotta get to work... I have so much to finish off before the end of the year! at least I have finished travelling for this year! :rofl: ;)

Oh no, I was hoping to hear his leg was fine now. Poor bubba. Hope he's better soon. Please give him a big squishy hug from Kyojin and I

Mmm, I was watching that thread unfold. Veeeery interesting, to say the least.

I know! Part of the reason we only ever use the dog park when it's empty. Also because it's such a small space and if someone didn't want their dog to play with J, it would be hard keeping him away. Not to mention, my boofhead boy has nooo idea how to take the hint that other dogs don't want him around ;)

Even being completely aware of the limitations of my own dog, it still boggles the mind that people kick first and ask questions later. We stop and step off the footpath when other dogs approach whilst we're out walking and there have been occasions when I would have completely understood if the other person had shied away a little or looked unhappy with James' carrying on (which can get really bad :xmascheer::xmastree: ) - I know he only wants to play but there are times when I definitely wouldn't blame the other party if they thought otherwise. But I have never been subjected to anything other than the knowing, amused smile and, "He's a(n) excitable/enthusiastic/playful pup!".

Putting the rudeness a rushing dog aside for a moment, if labradors are meant to be the dunces of the dog social world, how come so many experienced dog owners and their dogs can't interpret what your average suburban dog-walker can? :rofl:

Anyway, moving on from that...

I am very pleased to hear that the scare was just a false alarm, KTB. How very frightening :xmassmile:

Am laughing away at the thought of Genevieve being unable to unwrap her bone :rofl: How frustrating. But, am nonetheless pleased to hear that I don't have the only dog who is yet to understand Christmas.

Glad to hear you had a fun weekend after the report-writing stress, LS! How many of the litter did your sister and BIL keep? It must be lovely having Ruby's family close by for playdates - James' lab(ish) friend down the road was bred by the couple's son, so her Mum and sister get to come and play quite regularly. I'd really love for James to go and visit his Mum - two of his brothers have already been back. I can only imagine the pandemonium if you brought all 10 together again ;)

Poor Kuma! Here's hoping it's only a minor problem! Do keep us updated.

Apologies for the double post, but I have a little brag.

The park was unexpectedly crowded when we turned up - a couple of families walking and children playing on the equipment. James was beautifully calm throughout! The butt wiggling got a bit too enthusiastic when some young children walked past (calling him a "cute puppy" - it'll go to his head, no doubt ;)) but he didn't break the sit.

We practically stumbled on top of an off-leash Pointer who I didn't know was there and he still managed to keep a sit! She made it all the way over to us without a single lunge from the pup - that is most definitely a first! :wave:

"Can't you tell I is a water retriever?!" The monster can seek out even the smallest of puddles to throw himself in :eek:

IMG_0326.jpg

Snorkling puppy.

IMG_0324.jpg

just heard from the hubby... the vet thinks Kuma has sprained his toe! He's on anti-inflams for 2 weeks, and no walkies until thats done. He was too wriggly for an xray, and the vet said that the treatment for a sprain or a break is pretty much the same. If not improvement in 2 weeks we go back.

Poor little pupper! Yay for nothing more serious!!

Got him weighed at the vet - 46Kg. Funny, he had a growth spurt recently and to us looks bigger... guess it's all the fur!

Putting the rudeness a rushing dog aside for a moment, if labradors are meant to be the dunces of the dog social world, how come so many experienced dog owners and their dogs can't interpret what your average suburban dog-walker can? :laugh:

Ermmm I rather think of it as the bear-hug by a stranger in the supermarket (as opposed to the french cheek kiss poodles might do.... for example)... I feel a bit sheepish as I may have instigated that thread to a certain extent by asking what's wrong with labs. If I'm completely honest, I was curious because of Max. He is, for all intents and purposes, partly lab, and we have had some issues with him and other dogs. Interestingly enough though, usually onlead, and always with border collies (that's not true - he tries to invite other dogs to play sometimes by swiping them across the face - this also doesn't really go down well with terrier type breeds). But considering he is supposed to be partly border collie too I find this ironic. My experience is walking past other border collies on lead, its possible they'll have a go at him. This can vary from a 'vrow vrow' stand over (which involves no teeth, but seems to be a dominance thing? Looks pretty hairy anyway) - to actual snapping. I think Max puts off vibes. I've watched him like a hawk - no hackles, no lip curling, no growling - I don't know what's setting off these other dogs. One-on-one and off-lead - no issues. When we're standing next to a bc and we're all on lead, and the bc starts lip-curling - I have to move Max away and I always tell him to stop 'making eyes' at the other dogs. Altogether this has happened maybe six times - so not a frequent event. Just interesting to me to read about those 'evil labs'.

Anyway, if these issues are due to his lab-ness, I'm more than happy to state the positive side also. That is I can trust him completely with other dogs - there's not an aggressive/timid bone in his body (that being said, I'm not blaze about it - I'm still careful for introductions etc), he is fantastic around children, even little children, and has such an even temperament nothing seems to permanently scar his little mind. And he smiles. A man at the park the other day nearly fell over when Max turned around and smiled at him when he said hello!

Niques - love the snorkling shot!!!!

KTB - hope Papa Koala is doing okay.

KA - hope Kuma's toe is better soon!

We had a scary moment today at the park. Max was trying to get one of the other dogs to chase him (as usual) and mid-run he pawed at his eye twice. Five minutes later he came over to check-in and I checked his eye. I noticed something hanging out of it - someone pulled it out - pop - a grass seed in the eye ball. Yep that's what you want. Three quarters of it at least was under his eyelid. We nearly had a one-eyed dog!!!! Be careful everyone!!!!!

just heard from the hubby... the vet thinks Kuma has sprained his toe! He's on anti-inflams for 2 weeks, and no walkies until thats done. He was too wriggly for an xray, and the vet said that the treatment for a sprain or a break is pretty much the same. If not improvement in 2 weeks we go back.

Poor little pupper! Yay for nothing more serious!!

Got him weighed at the vet - 46Kg. Funny, he had a growth spurt recently and to us looks bigger... guess it's all the fur!

I know I shouldn't laugh... but how the hell did pooch manage to sprain a toe??? I didn't realise dogs had toes!!!! I hope he feels better soon!

I love snorkling James!! What a gorgeous shot!!!

KTB - I too am sending you cyber hugs... I can only imagine how trying this time is for you at the moment.

I haven't read any other section on the forum in ages... I only ever stop into this thread now. I figure if I want/need any advice, I'll just ask you fellow normal types! It gets so political and I don't need the stress. I have bigger fish to fry.

Hello to all the lovelies and their canine companions!

Hubby came home from being away last night (Yay! Except for the slight problem of him taking up 2/3 of the bed and snoring... Hello! Fat wife growing by the minute here!!! Shove over!) so Genevieve was beside herself! He slept in quite late this morning and she spent the better part of the morning hanging out outside our bedroom door, waiting in anticipation for it to open and Daddy spring out! Poor her... she had to wait 4 hours between her and I getting up and him rising! She was circling the hallway like a bloody shark! She would lie down at the door for five seconds, then get up and start pacing again! You should have seen the tail!!! I swear one day it will fall off if she keeps wagging it at that same rate!!!

Anyway, she was all happy when she saw him grab her harness and his skateboard! :laugh: Merry Christmas Genevieve!

Minxy: Glad the fluffy guy is doing better, I really want to reach through the screen and cuddle him :D He's so lovely.

Niques: He must have known the present was for him :laugh: How funny! Have you confiscated the raccoon or does he have it now? Love the mud wallow pics!

wizzle: Minties! That would have been hilarious to watch :D

lilli_star: Sounds like you had a great weekend! I saw Bon Jovi in concert more years ago than I care to count :D they were pretty good back then!

KTB: Glad it was a false alarm, but not good for you at all :D

wuffles: I promise that if I ever saw Satch I would not kick him, I would probably try and cuddle though :D

KumaAkita: Poor Kuma! Sounds quite painful, bet it won't be fun trying to keep him quiet! 46kgs, nice and big! How much will he eventually weigh?

Astrid is enjoying her new kong wobbler :) so much so it was difficult to distract her.

Only a few days to go until Christmas. I am a bit nervous about it this year :D my parents are coming to stay and my Mum (as much as I love her) can be a bit... difficult at times. She was initially VERY vocal about her opposition to us getting a dog and while she came around eventually I know that every time Astrid so much as puts a foot wrong while she is here I am going to hear about it over and over again (I still 'hear' about the dog I had that passed away 7 years ago!). I am going to get a nice juicy bone and some other stuff to keep Astrid nice and busy. I actually think I'm starting to come down with something, stress I think! Ugh.

What are everyone else's plans for Christmas? :)

Glad to hear you had a fun weekend after the report-writing stress, LS! How many of the litter did your sister and BIL keep? It must be lovely having Ruby's family close by for playdates - James' lab(ish) friend down the road was bred by the couple's son, so her Mum and sister get to come and play quite regularly. I'd really love for James to go and visit his Mum - two of his brothers have already been back. I can only imagine the pandemonium if you brought all 10 together again

Wrong family member Niques, but easy to mix up since I have 2 sisters (1 older, 1 younger) and 2 brothers (both older)! :) My older sister who I house sat for has a Jack Russell and a Puggle....errr a Pug X :):laugh: They are both slightly mad, but extremely cute, even if Mojo (Pug X) has an underbite :D I was a bit shocked at how small they are compared to my black monster! Though I was a bit chuffed that their cousin Ruby can do way more tricks than they can...because that's really what it's all about, right? ;) :D They haven't actually met Roo yet, but I think I recall my bro-in-law saying they don't like Labradors...hope he was just stirring me :D . They're coming up for our big family Christmas bash, though not sure if the dogs will actually come over to play with the other dogs or stay at the other farm.

Said bash is happening at my older brother's house- it is his dog that is Ruby's mama dog. I was the only family member that got one of their pups- although one did go to the bf of my s-i-l's niece. The rest went to their friends I think. I saw Ruby's mama dog today- such a sweetie. Will do anything for pats and loves her belly rubbed. I'm looking forward to the time when Roo is content just to lounge around at my feet...which she is doing now actually. My dad is here for the next few days before Christmas, and he has picked up a cold or something ;) Every time he coughs in bed, Roo gets up to find out where that noise is coming from :D

I loved that photo of James snorkelling, Niques :) I forsee lots of pics of Roo swimming over Christmas bombarding you all in the near future ;) Provided the weather warms up :D

KA- poor Kuma-bear ;) Hope his toe heals quickly.

Raven- I saw Bon Jovi in 1995...it was my end of Year 12 present from my parents....hard to believe that was 15 years ago! :D

I know I shouldn't laugh... but how the hell did pooch manage to sprain a toe??? I didn't realise dogs had toes!!!! I hope he feels better soon!

:D :D .... how dare you??? :laugh:

The way a pooch sprains its toe is to jump around like a loony whilst on lead and get all caught up. When said pooch finally lands, the leash managed to be wrapped around paw, add tension from human at end of lead (OH) and pull. Toe moves one way, paw the other... result is a sprained toe. Could easily have been broken, but I think we're lucky with a sprain. I was overjoyed that it wasn't a cruiciate ligament or other vital part.

wuffles: I promise that if I ever saw Satch I would not kick him, I would probably try and cuddle though :D

KumaAkita: Poor Kuma! Sounds quite painful, bet it won't be fun trying to keep him quiet! 46kgs, nice and big! How much will he eventually weigh?

What are everyone else's plans for Christmas? :)

Re Statch - if you ever saw him, I doubt you'd have a chance to cuddle... he'd walk up and lean on you demanding pats. It's adorable!

Re Kuma - He still has growth plates in his legs. He could keep growing for another 12 months - up to about 60Kg. We doubt he'll get that big, probably 55Kg ish, but who knows eh? If you sneak back about 50 pages, you'll see where we were doing the "how'd you get your pup" stories, there's photos of Kuma's granddaddy... he's HUGE.

Re Christmas - Down the coast to spend time with the in-laws. They live on 6acres, with no fences... poor Kuma has to be on lead the whole time. I am off today to buy him a long line so he can at least have some wriggle room. It's also going to be very hot with no aircon. awesome. I am taking a case of wine, so hopefully I'll have fun :D (kidding!)

KA- poor Kuma-bear :D Hope his toe heals quickly.

Thanks lilli_star. I think the anti-inflamatories kicked in last night... he was zooming around the yard like a maniac last night. He was trying to avoid coming in to bed... OH and I came at him from either side of the house and he was dodging us every way we tried to get him. Little Turd :D

Sending cyber hugs to KTB

hmmm.... oh I love the photos of James snorkelling... how adorable. We might give Kuma a taste of the beach when we're down the coast... see how we go.

Two more days of work... (but who's counting, eh??)

KTB - :o

KA - Dogs do the craziest things!!! I bet there was a comical element in there somewhere!! And yeah, have a wine or three!

Rav - Cuteness!!!!!!!

Lils - It's a good feeling when you know your dog can do more tricks!!! Means all that hard work wasn't such a waste after all!!!

Hi everyone else!

AFM: Well Genevieve was in to gold coin chocolates this morning... Hubby was on the phone and while he wasn't paying attention to her and I was asleep, she was munching away on chocolate! This time, they were from the kitchen bench!!!! Hubby got up from his chair, which was then pushed up against the bench and Mountain Dog helped herself!!!! I can't bloody win!!! I worry I will wake up Christmas morning and she will be comatosed by all the junk food in the lead up! Stupid mut!

She has started this thing of barking at us if ever we sit on the couch... or in my case, sleep on it. I think she thinks it is her couch. It is really really annoying. She tried to jump up at my face again today, which has me a little worried. She doesn't do it aggressively, just to get my attention. I hope she quits it before Wee Wizzle arrives. I'm not sure what to do about it. We have tried squirting her with water, ignoring her, inviting her up to calm her, getting off all together (which I don't want to have to do)... but she still keeps barking! Hubby seems to think we need to ban her from that room altogether. Any suggestions?

Christmas eve we are going to the big carols at the Sidney Music Myer Bowl and on Christmas Day, we have people coming over for dinner, so we will spend most of the day cooking. Should be good.

KA - poor Kuma's toe. I sometimes feel we are always just a second away from an accident....!!!

Raven - those facebook photos are pretty cute. I didn't realise people were such good photographer's! They're photos - but they have so much character! **looks at mutley on the floor and ponders how he'd scrub up!**

Wizzle - rough with the barking. Max has a barking issue at the moment (seems he has a lot of issues - but its not really like that). He barks for attention. It started, I think, with fly chasing, then he'd bark while chasing flies, then he noticed this got attention (??), this translated to barking at us (okay predominantly me, he doesn't do it to the OH - probably realises that's no hope anyway), and barking to get attention. Its a high pitch bark that goes straight through your brain. I ignore ignore ignore ignore, and it seems to get worse. Tried a water spray for one day, but I didn't really like it. Then a friend of ours gave us a muzzle. Yes a cruel mean mouth constricting muzzle. He barks, it goes on. He HATES it. But then he doesn't bark anymore. He's not stupid. Like most of Max's 'issues', I'm pretty sure I'm the cause of it by doing somethign in the first place that tells him that behaviour gets him what he wants :laugh: . I think its giving him too much attention. I can literally play with him/training/walking from when I get home from work to when I go to bed some days - which is probably not healthy. What can I say - I enjoy his company and antics?! But also I get bad guilts for leaving him during the day too! Sometimes I feel like a very bad dog owner.

Just reading back over what I read - phew what a confessional!

Greetings to all!

Hi All

Wizzle - I think you have summed it up well. :laugh: to KTB

Max#1 - I think it sounds like you have a teenager there! Not much help with the barking thing. I have generally tried to ignore any barking, but Ziggy certainly has a loud one. I have also been a bit unwell lately, that combined with bad weather has meant slightly less walks, and a smidge more barking.

KA - Poor Kuma! And his sore widdle toe. Hope it gets better soon. Glad it wasn't something more serious (like the knee!)

And :D to all those norty doggies sneaking their Xmas presents early! Although I am a bad dog mum and haven't bought anything for Ziggy (although my mum did!)

Despite the lack of walking lately, I think we achieved about a 60-75% LLW tonight :laugh: All the training seems to be working. My only issue to work on now is the waking at 5.40am and insisting that I should be awake as well! Bring on the shorter days.....

Oh, just so you realise he is not deprived of a constant supply of new toys... (excuse the blurriness!)

P1010639.jpg

P1010635.jpg

P1010625.jpg

Hi all, posting from a nice little cabin outside Port Macquarie :laugh: Weather is delightful, but will be raining for the rest of the trip if the forecasts are correct! Dogs have been great and are having a super time! They are fast asleep on the cabin floor. Both our neighbours have dogs staying too :laugh:

Ava and Satchy thought The Ark's house was heaven, will post pics in a few days...

Well, we are in for 7 hours of driving tomorrow so it's almost time for bed.

Sounds like everyone has Xmas plans, I can't believe how quickly it has snuck up on us!