Strange Behaviour

Hi all :eek:

Is there a reason why my 4 1/2 year old desexed dog who has always squatted to pee, would suddenly start lifing his leg? :rofl:

I think he was desexed at around 6 months old.

It's no biggie, but I'm just curious :(

Edited by Baby Dragon

Thanks for the replies :(

Leg cocking is often considerd to be a learned behaviour. Has he spent time recently with other dogs that cock?

Nope!! Only with my female dog who doesn't cock.

He doesn't cock at home, he's only started doing it when we are out.

In that case he may have either spotted other dogs cocking whilst out, or has noticed the scent of other dog's unrination in high to reach places (posts, trees etc) and therefore has to cock to have his scent reach over the top of them. :( Just my thoughts anyway.

Could be anything...my Bronx only cocks his leg for special occasions :( And he was 4-5yrs old before i ever saw him do it! However my other GSD Sabre first started cocking his leg at around 4-5months from memory!

He doesn't cock at home, he's only started doing it when we are out.

You'll probably find that he's "marking" when he is cocking his leg, seeing as he's only doing it when out and not home. My boy does the same. If we go out and it is a genuine "I really need to pee", he'll squat wherever we are (if on grass). But along the way, when he gets to a tree or some other item of interest, he'll "mark" it. It's a developmental thing and a sign that he's becoming a man (with or without gonads) :(.