Introducing Roo Meat And She Vomits...

:laugh: i'm sorry having to write about this cuz i don't wanna turn anyone's tummy, but i'm perplexed!

bella has no issue with food, and lately i've decided that i wanted to intro roo meat because both her and byron are just a tad overweight ... so off i go, get some tail and barf, and after hacking the tails into smaller pieces, i cut off some of the meat! i gave a very small amount to both dogs; byron took to it like a duck to water and in fact was almost ravenous ... no ill effects.

BUT bella hesitated, sniffed, looked away, took a piece, dropped it, smelled it, picked it up, rolled it around in her mouth, dropped it again, picked it up and then decided to finally eat it ... she had maybe 3, 4 pieces about the size of a .5c coin, flat pieces, not cubed and within say 5 minutes she was retching; the 1st one produced but the following 3 times i don't think anything came up...

they both had brekkie about 6 am and this was near 2pm ... what came up was a lot more than the roo meat i'd given her.

apart from that, she seemed absolutely fine!

so tonight, i mix maybe 2 or 3 teaspoons of roo barf in with say 4 soup spoons of lamb barf ... this gets divided between the 2 dogs.

bella is generally waiting by the kitchen ready for the 'okay', but not tonight ... about 5 minutes later tho, she's ready, eats what i've given, i watch intently, she goes out the back, i follow, and she promptly starts to retch, loses it all and then twice more retches and produces a little more both times...

again, apart from that she seems okay, perhaps a bit listless tho!

about an hour or so later, i fed her a ckicken neck ... no issues.

i did a search on this subforum and altho some roo feeders had reported the runs and some vile wind, there were some hints from others that their dogs couldn't tolerate roo meat at all, but the posters didn't elaborate...

also, there was a poster, tomas i think [location: overseas], in one of those threads who indicated that switching between dry and raw rattles the dog's stomach acids; i'd mixed artemis with some lamb barf and a chicken neck, bella had eaten hers but byron had left his ... i don't know what i was thinking but i left his there and then a bit later i realised that bella had eaten byron's dry mix too.

i know dogs can be unwell and seem absolutely fine and for the amount bella horked up the first time it seemed a helluva lot considering the small amount of roo meat i'd given her...

any help and or suggestions would be most appreciated :D

I know that roo can be too rich for some, but the amount you are feeding doesn't sound like it is enough to warrant the vomiting your girl is exhibiting.

Is it pet grade roo mince you have purchased, or human grade? I only purchase the latter. There are often preservatives in pet grade roo mince, so check from where you've purchased it to see what preservatives (if any) have been used and perhaps ask about where they (the supplier) gets it from. Your girl might be reacting to additives rather than the roo mince itself. ???

Edited by Erny

thanks erny :laugh:

i knew the roo meat would be kinda rich but i certainly didn't anticipate that reaction to it! there may be something else going on with her.

the meat i purchased is the premade barf bricks - dr b's recipe :D

The source is pretty good then. Is that pure roo, or are there other meats in with it?

I'd certainly not give any more to her (which I presume you are not). I'm concerned that she is a bit listless. If it was just about the richness of the meat, normally they bounce back after they've vomited. Is she drinking ok? Make sure she stays hydrated.

Edited by Erny

thanks erny :laugh:

i knew the roo meat would be kinda rich but i certainly didn't anticipate that reaction to it! there may be something else going on with her.

the meat i purchased is the premade barf bricks - dr b's recipe :D

The source is pretty good then. Is that pure roo, or are there other meats in with it?

Ingredients:

Kangaroo Meat, Finely ground kangaroo bone, beef liver, whole egg, cultured kefir, seasonal vegetables selected from broccoli, celery, spinach, carrot, ground flax seed, bok choy, dried alfalfa leaf powder, beef kidney, beef heart, unbleached beef tripe, seasonal fruit selected from apple, pear, grapefruit, orange, dried kelp powder, garlic, capsicum.

Typical Analysis:

Moisture maximum - 75%

Crude Protein minimum - 9.5% (35% D.M. basis)

Crude Fat minimum - 3% (11% D.M. basis)

Crude Fibre maximum - 3% (12% D.M basis)

Calcium (Ca) minimum - 8% (D.M basis)

Phosphorus (P) minimum - 4% (D.M basis)

Calcium: Phosphorus Ratio - 1:0.5

I'd certainly not give any more to her (which I presume you are not). I'm concerned that she is a bit listless. If it was just about the richness of the meat, normally they bounce back after they've vomited. Is she drinking ok? Make sure she stays hydrated.

this was day one on the roo meat and it's only since she ate tonight that she seems listless ... i haven't noticed her drinking at all today!!!

sorry, eta: i have no plans to feed her any more roo :eek:

Edited by Skruffy n Flea

Kangeroo meat is hard to digest, however roo is, i would imagine the only animal that has not been treated with some chemicals. The roo has lived natural life, was shot and his meat that is sold in the supermarket (human consumption), does not have any preservatives.

Kangeroo meat is hard to digest, however roo is, i would imagine the only animal that has not been treated with some chemicals. The roo has lived natural life, was shot and his meat that is sold in the supermarket (human consumption), does not have any preservatives.

Only if the roo has not been grazing on chemically treated land and crops.