Terrier Traits

Ons

I had two terriers as a youngster- My first, a mini foxie given me when I was 7 - was with me for 14 years..and was the most loyal little dog!! She was also an aggro one :confused: used to fight with our lab bitch... She was fearless and fit and the perfect companion for a bush kid :laugh:

My second terrier was , we think a dachsie/terrier mix. She also was fiercely loyal, a watchdog, a sheepdog with very very shortlegs, full of fun, and adaptable.

IF I get a choice, a terrier will be my next dog :)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We now own our second Lakeland Terrier. Neither of them have been diggers so perhaps it's only a trait of some terriers. They've both been full of fun, always ready for a game and always entertaining. On the down side they can be stubborn and not hugely food motivated making them hard to train with distractions around.

I suspect most people who dislike terriers have never actually owned one!

I suspect that too!!!

My lakelands never dug holes, or even chewed anything :) They were my 'happy chappies', always great fun, definately NOT food motivated either, in fact, they would leave food and the cats and visiting dogs would eat it with no issues from the terriers!! They were fantastic with all other animals and I have a funny photo that I will have to scan of my Lakeland Basil with a leg of lamb bone, we had just got another devon kitten, and Basil moved aside to let the kitten have the bone :):) Dont freak, it was completely safe, I would not have allowed it if otherwise.

I'd love more one day, there are some lovely ones in QLD! I got my first Lakeland in 1993. wonderful dogs :confused::laugh:

JRT's are awesome. They have no pause button, only fast forward.

Nort a mousey to be seen for the 18+ years we've had JRT's.

They kill snakes as well which I'm not fond of. It only takes 1 bite from a snake. :confused:

edit to add: for a lively active kid the breed I would recommend would be a JRT. The dog will keep up with a lively kid all day long and be best mates.......plus more than likely get up to mischief together.

Edited by whippets

They kill snakes as well which I'm not fond of. It only takes 1 bite from a snake. :)

edit to add: for a lively active kid the breed I would recommend would be a JRT. The dog will keep up with a lively kid all day long and be best mates.......plus more than likely get up to mischief together.

If either the parents or the kid are committed to training it then yes a JRT would be a good choice, if they arent trained they are damn right horrible dogs to have around, but if they have ongoing training they are great little dogs for an active family

I have soft coated wheaten terriers which are generally considered less terrier-y than other terriers (or terrors, or terrorists depending on my mood).

I also have an OH who said "I don't like terriers" which to me was a stupid statement. I soon changed his mind. Wheatens are definately terriers. They can be stubborn, which is the main terrier trait I think. Because of being vermin hunters, they were bred to act on impulse (see mouse, chase mouse, kill mouse), rather than the shepherd dogs which were bred to take instruction. As such terriers are intellegent and independent. If you want your terrier to pay attention to you, you have to be far more interesting than anything else that is going on.

They don't do well in a traditional obedience setting, as they get really bored with endless repetitions. While wheatens can do really well in obedience and agility, you need a trainer who understands the terrier need to mix things up a bit. They are the canine equivalent of the smart kid in class who acts out because s/he is bored!

Terriers are full of enthusiasm, are playful and full of love. Mine both love their cuddles and hugs and are really, really friendly. There are no strangers to them, only friends they haven't met yet.

Haven't much else to add as Mollie10, ChristineX and Lyndsay have said much of what I was going to say. I also have a kerry as well as a wheaten. Someone asked if they have an off switch and I haven't found Grumpy's yet at age 14. Unlike Mini, he actively looks for stuff to get into to get my attention. Mini has an off switch but it often doesn't work. Grumpy is the most stubborn dog I've ever come across. Mini is pretty biddable but if she doesn't want to do something, she won't, though she can be bribed, though 'What's in it for me?' doesn't work when the bribe isn't good enough. Grumpy won't be bribed at all if he really doesn't want to do something.

Haven't much else to add as Mollie10, ChristineX and Lyndsay have said much of what I was going to say. I also have a kerry as well as a wheaten. Someone asked if they have an off switch and I haven't found Grumpy's yet at age 14. Unlike Mini, he actively looks for stuff to get into to get my attention. Mini has an off switch but it often doesn't work. Grumpy is the most stubborn dog I've ever come across. Mini is pretty biddable but if she doesn't want to do something, she won't, though she can be bribed, though 'What's in it for me?' doesn't work when the bribe isn't good enough. Grumpy won't be bribed at all if he really doesn't want to do something.

This is so Anouk! She'll steal something and then do the mad dash. If you don't notice it, she comes up to you, just out of your reach and either drops it and picks it up again really quickly to show you she's got something or else crunches REALLY hard.

They kill snakes as well which I'm not fond of. It only takes 1 bite from a snake. :)

If either the parents or the kid are committed to training it then yes a JRT would be a good choice, if they arent trained they are damn right horrible dogs to have around, but if they have ongoing training they are great little dogs for an active family

your point?

that goes for ANY dog.

If any parent isn't committed to training any dog then they shouldn't have a dog in the first place.

They kill snakes as well which I'm not fond of. It only takes 1 bite from a snake. :laugh:

your point?

that goes for ANY dog.

If any parent isn't committed to training any dog then they shouldn't have a dog in the first place.

Any dog needs training yes, but a terrier needs constant training and stimulation or it will take hold of the household and will be unmanageable, terriers are a lot more work than a toy and even a lot of larger breeds

The reason why I said the kid or the parent is because the kid could be responsible enough to take on the pooch, or it could just be a play mate in which case the parent needs to put in the work to train it

And yes you are right in your last statement, but unfortunately there are too many people who get a puppy, then once the novelty wears off the poor dog gets left to their own devices, with a JRT this would lead to a very destructive, very yappy and very snappy dog, a lot of other breeds would cope much better to this treatment and just take it as a way of life

I have a JRT, and I love her to death, but Id NEVER get another one. Tess is 9 this year and now Im really starting to enjoy her, but the first 5 years with her were absolute hell, there was a lot of good times, but she was sooo much work. much more work than I expected out of a small dog, a lot of people, mostly those who have never owned one, dont understand just how much work terriers (specifically JRT's) are

THAT is my point

I've had 3 JRT's over 18+ years. I would definately get another one.

Your comments show that the JRT was a bad choice for you. You should have researched the breed more thoroughly before your got a JRT.

The "Your Purebred Puppy" website describes terrier traits as follows:

. Most terrier breeds are remarkably similar. The same words are used over and over -- quick to bark, quick to chase, lively, bossy, feisty, scrappy, clever, independent, stubborn, persistent, impulsive, intense.

Of course not all terrier breeds are like that, nor are all individuals within breeds going to fit that profile. But gee quite a few do!!

I think the biggest issue with the smaller terriers is created by people who buy them on looks and have no idea of their breed origin or what they are getting.

A terrier in the right hands is a great dog. In the wrong hands.. not so great. They share that with other breeds who find themselves in homes unsuitable for them.

If you remember the original job each Terrier was bred to do, you do both yourself and the dog a favour.

. Most terrier breeds are remarkably similar. The same words are used over and over -- quick to bark, quick to chase, lively, bossy, feisty, scrappy, clever, independent, stubborn, persistent, impulsive, intense.

Of course not all terrier breeds are like that, nor are all individuals within breeds going to fit that profile. But gee quite a few do!!

I think the biggest issue with the smaller terriers is created by people who buy them on looks and have no idea of their breed origin or what they are getting.

A terrier in the right hands is a great dog. In the wrong hands.. not so great. They share that with other breeds who find themselves in homes unsuitable for them.

If you remember the original job each Terrier was bred to do, you do both yourself and the dog a favour.

I have to agree. Breeds like the JRT and Westie are perceived as 'small' so that must equate to low maintenance. So not true. It is really sad, and leads to far too many dogs being abandoned as people just don't think that a dog bred to chase rats all day isn't really going to be happy in my suburban back yard with nothing to do...

I completely agree. I adore them to bits but had many people say things like, 'he's cute he looks like a toy', Or 'where's the batteries?" etc.

I couldn't think of dogs LESS like little cutesy toys :party: THe size of their teeth in comparison to their size should be a warning that terriers are NOT lap dogs, they are feisty little sh..s :laugh: We could do anything with ours (all of them), but they were still terriers and needed a 'quick' owner. :laugh: all loved kids to bits and were busy busy busy all day, and slept on the beds at night. I love the 'prancing' gait. Oh dear, I do miss them. :laugh:

A terrier with an 'easy' owner will rule the roost very quickly!!

And yes you are right in your last statement, but unfortunately there are too many people who get a puppy, then once the novelty wears off the poor dog gets left to their own devices, with a JRT this would lead to a very destructive, very yappy and very snappy dog, a lot of other breeds would cope much better to this treatment and just take it as a way of life

THAT is my point

Wow. I was going to keep out of this but can't ignore the bolded part above. It makes me so mad that people come into these discussions and turn JRT's into monsters who will bite when bored and turn nasty. I grew up around JRT's, family members owned them before I did and I have not once been bitten by one. They do not turn nasty because they are bored, in my experience, the ones who are nasty little buggers are the ones who people lable as JRT's because they are brown and white little dogs, just bred for the hell of it with no regard for temprement.

JRT breeders are doing a hell of a lot of work to breed for type and temprement. Yes there are some purebred JRT's who have iffy temprements, but I think that can be found in most breeds.

Mine enjoy their walk every day, they swim in the warm weather, and right now, they are all asleep on ther back verandah. They are not on the go 24/7, they relax. If a bird comes into the yard, they will chase it out. If there is no bird to chase, they sleep in the sun.

Some JRT's can be over the top, but not ALL of them, people need to stop bagging the breed because of the traits of some individual dogs.

Edited by weisnjac

weisnjac:

JRT breeders are doing a hell of a lot of work to breed for type and temprement. Yes there are some purebred JRT's who have iffy temprements, but I think that can be found in most breeds.

I would have thought the issue would be more to do with bite thresholds than temperament. For a dog bred to kill vermin, a good startle reflex, quick reactions and a readiness to bite would have been assets. A dog that defends itself.. wonderful!!!

Problems only arise when people don't respect those characteristics and expect dogs to act like stuffed toys, especially around kids that grab and pin. I have no desire to ever own a terrier but I sincerely hope that breeders don't breed out of them what makes them unique (and what their fanciers love) in the first place.

Edited by poodlefan

Wow. I was going to keep out of this but can't ignore the bolded part above. It makes me so mad that people come into these discussions and turn JRT's into monsters who will bite when bored and turn nasty. I grew up around JRT's, family members owned them before I did and I have not once been bitten by one. They do not turn nasty because they are bored, in my experience, the ones who are nasty little buggers are the ones who people lable as JRT's because they are brown and white little dogs, just bred for the hell of it with no regard for temprement.

Mine enjoy their walk every day, they swim in the warm weather, and right now, they are all asleep on ther back verandah. They are not on the go 24/7, they relax. If a bird comes into the yard, they will chase it out. If there is no bird to chase, they sleep in the sun.

Some JRT's can be over the top, but not ALL of them, people need to stop bagging the breed because of the traits of some individual dogs.

You have said exactly what I was going to WnJ... I am yet to meet a purebred papered JRT that I could fault temperament wise. I think they are awesome little dogs and to be honest I wouldn't hesitate getting the right one (from the right breeder) if I had children. Absolutely awesome little dogs that have a very undeserved reputation.

I've had 3 JRT's over 18+ years. I would definately get another one.

Your comments show that the JRT was a bad choice for you. You should have researched the breed more thoroughly before your got a JRT.

Which is exactly why I didnt get another one, I chose to get a Golden for my next dog, I was 16 years old, my mum said I can get a puppy for christmas but it had to be a small dog, I knew JRT's were active, I thought that was what I wanted. Had I have not been isolated in a small country town I would have had more options in regards to breed, and I would have had assistance in her training, I also would have had access to flyball or agility groups

DONT condemn me for not choosing the right breed, a lot of people dump their dogs when they realise they are out of their depth, I stuck through it with her and changed my lifestyle to suit her and Im now very happy with my little dog, infact I think that considering until recently I had NO access to professional training she is a very well trained little dog

Its all well and good to say I should have done more research, but when was the last time you ever tried to tell a 16yo girl anything and they listened? On TV JRT's come across as very smart, and a very easy breed, but TV doesnt show you just how much work they need. Im willing to admit she wasnt the right breed for me, I never denied that, but she is my dog and she will be until the day she dies

weisnjac:

I would have thought the issue would be more to do with bite thresholds than temperament. For a dog bred to kill vermin, a good startle reflex, quick reactions and a readiness to bite would have been assets. A dog that defends itself.. wonderful!!!

Problems only arise when people don't respect those characteristics and expect dogs to act like stuffed toys, especially around kids that grab and pin. I have no desire to ever own a terrier but I sincerely hope that breeders don't breed out of them what makes them unique (and what their fanciers love) in the first place.

My older girl Pippa is a fantastic hunter. But I would not say she has a readiness to bite. She is quick when hunting, she chases and only bites when she has to for a catch and kill, she knows when to and doesn't run after mice snapping.

You are right in saying people don't respect their characteristics, they are small, but they are a hunting breed. I have no intention in breeding JRT's who have no desire to hunt, play and be terriers. None at all. They are what they are, a small active breed who love to hunt, play and sleep. Not usually in that order :laugh: .