Fully Sexed Females

furballs

I think she sounds stressed. I would keep separate then introduce in a few days but always keep separate when not being supervised. :rofl:

Thanks Clyde, I appreciate your advice. The puppies are kept in a separate room or in a play pen. My girl has been extremely interested in them, hanging around wanting to get to know them but also seems a bit unsure. I've picked the pups up a few times and shown them to her and she had a sniff and then I put them back in their pen. They will never be alone together because these are rescue pups that have probably come from a hard life and don't need the extra stress. My girl isn't aggressive at all so I was interested to know what her drooling was about. Again, thank you.

I don't want to start world war 3, but you mentioned you don't want to breed with your bitch, and now you are fostering puppies that in your own words, probably come from a hard life. That the risk you take by not having her desexed.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't want to start world war 3, but you mentioned you don't want to breed with your bitch, and now you are fostering puppies that in your own words, probably come from a hard life. That the risk you take by not having her desexed.

That makes no sense at all :rofl: Are you suggesting that this owner is incapable of keeping her bitch safe, and therefore will be producing pups that will have a hard life? Get over yourself :cheer:

not a risk when done responsibly, plenty of entire dogs, of both sexes, have never produced a puppy.

I think that the term that you are looking for is "entire". However, if you have kept your bitch entire because you plan to breed her, then she will need to get used to puppies sometime.

Thanks for your explanation, I'm not a breeder. I don't plan to breed her. You didn't answer my question.

In my experience, being entire or desexed doesn't seem to make an important difference in how a bitch reacts to strange puppies. This seems to be more to do with the bitch's own personality - fearful, timid, playful, out-going, etc. However, at certain stages in the oestral cycle bitches can be more moody or more sooky. Hormonal spikes can occur for a couple of weeks prior and during oestrus and for the two months following a season - some bitches are more affected than others, just as some women can be more sensitive to hormonal spikes than other women. If your bitch has just gone out of season or is due to come into season then she may be having hormonal spikes and the sight of the puppies may be exacerbating this. What was she like when she was in season? If she was particularly moody, this may be relevant. Having said all this, it has been my experience that most dogs of either sex, entire or otherwise, are very interested in puppies. This is probably instinct - just as most humans respond naturally to babies (although pregnant and lactating women generally have a stronger response).

Fantastic reply 'gundoglover'! Really well written.

My girls are just dreadful when they are coming into season/in season and turn into feral nasty fighters - every one of them. They return to sweet girls afterwards but we have to separate them from everyone else while this is going on. I cannot see the point of keeping a bitch entire unless there is a fantastic reason.

That makes no sense at all :rofl: Are you suggesting that this owner is incapable of keeping her bitch safe, and therefore will be producing pups that will have a hard life? Get over yourself :cheer:

Not at all. I can't see the point of having an entire bitch when there is no intention of breeding with her. As you know, or probably not, oops matings can happen, not to mention having entire males, due to irresponsible owners allowing them to roam trying to get to the bitch on heat. Another that comes to mind is pyometra. This is no rofl matter

Not at all. I can't see the point of having an entire bitch when there is no intention of breeding with her. As you know, or probably not, oops matings can happen, not to mention having entire males, due to irresponsible owners allowing them to roam trying to get to the bitch on heat. Another that comes to mind is pyometra. This is no rofl matter

and increased risk of mammary cancer

Why is your dog not desexed? Especially if you are not a registered breeder and don't plan to breed????

If you have only just got the foster pups it may take your dog a while to get used to the idea of not only having other dog's around/living in HER home but puppies. The pups may still have the smell of their mother on them as well. She may be stressed because of this. So make sure she has her usual things and don't place her alone with the pups

Why my dog is not desexed is not relevant in this thread. There is a good and responsible reason.

You don't have to explain yourself anyway, it's irrelevant to your question.

Keep on topic guys and don't railroad this thread, this OP obviously needs some advice from experienced people....that would probably be Breeders in this case or experienced individuals who have worked with instances like this before.

Edited by sas

I can't see the point of having an entire bitch when there is no intention of breeding with her. As you know, or probably not, oops matings can happen, not to mention having entire males, due to irresponsible owners allowing them to roam trying to get to the bitch on heat. Another that comes to mind is pyometra. This is no rofl matter

YOU can't see the point because you are unaware of the importance to some responsble and educated owners of keeping their dogs entire. Why is that so many people on this forum automatically assume that any entire dog or bitch will want to escape and mate, and the owners will be powerless to stop it happening? :rofl:

Why bring it up anyway when it has NOTHING to do with the topic raised? Perhaps you need to mind your own business?

I can't see the point of having an entire bitch when there is no intention of breeding with her. As you know, or probably not, oops matings can happen, not to mention having entire males, due to irresponsible owners allowing them to roam trying to get to the bitch on heat. Another that comes to mind is pyometra. This is no rofl matter

YOU can't see the point because you are unaware of the importance to some responsble and educated owners of keeping their dogs entire. Why is that so many people on this forum automatically assume that any entire dog or bitch will want to escape and mate, and the owners will be powerless to stop it happening? :rofl:

Why bring it up anyway when it has NOTHING to do with the topic raised? Perhaps you need to mind your own business?

This is an open forum and you are stating your opinion, as too am I. Some will agree with you, and some will agree with me. That's democracy.

This is an open forum and you are stating your opinion, as too am I. Some will agree with you, and some will agree with me. That's democracy.

Can't you read? What you are doing is NOT democracy, it is railroading a thread and is against the forum rules.

If you want lecture people about desexing, go start another topic :rofl: Take your soapbox with you.

Edited by gareth

Can't you read? What you are doing is NOT democracy, it is railroading a thread and is against the forum rules.

If you want lecture people about desexing, go start another topic :rofl: Take your soapbox with you.

ditto

(Puts on flame suit) I have 2 in season bitches here on week two.....the girlie action here is driving me nuts...its the hormone horrors here. Bitch one came into season early when the younger dog came in.....that or she knew she was booked in for spey that fortnight....being Luci id dare say it wouldnt surprise me (JK) As for behavior towards puppies that is induvidual and environmental I would assume. I would always be careful of any dog near pups as I would of a bitches pups near other residing dogs.

ditto

Your posting style seems to be getting less and less intelligible. Perhaps we need to ask Troy to clean up the mess you started.

I will look forward to your new topic. Hopefully you can make better sense there.

Why is your dog not desexed? Especially if you are not a registered breeder and don't plan to breed????

Um excuse me and who are you ????

The OP's dog is not desexed because it's his dog and he doesn't want to desex her. I think he can do without the 4 question marks.

I'm going to have to agree with the masses here. Unfortunately Razor isn't desexed and he has never bred I never plan to breed with him, he never humps, he never wanders (as in tries to escape my yard to seek females) he isn't a problem being entire and I dislike the automatic judgement I get whilst saying he is entire. I am a responsible owner he has not escaped he will NEVER be allowed to father pups etc. I don't like the assumption owning an entire pet means they are going to get out and breed or its irresponsible to own an entire pet.

Like people have said numerous times it is their pet it is their decision if they desex or not. If furballs came on here to ask for advice and seek help she obviously is a caring owner who genuinely cares for the welfare of her bitch. I think she'd prefer to be given advice and not be judged for having an entire bitch.

In saying that I can see where your concern comes from but I think your concern is misplaced.

Sorry not attacking anyone just my own opinion.

Excessive salivation can be caused by anxiety and/or excitement. I doubt that this bitch is feeling maternal towards these puppies, it is much more likely that she's reacting to having two strange dogs in her territory. I don't think the fact that she's entire is relevant at all. Bringing strange dogs into another's environment will certainly trigger stress in a lot of dogs, but it usually passes as the resident dog adapts to the new arrivals.

I'm going to have to agree with the masses here. Unfortunately Razor isn't desexed and he has never bred I never plan to breed with him, he never humps, he never wanders (as in tries to escape my yard to seek females) he isn't a problem being entire and I dislike the automatic judgement I get whilst saying he is entire. I am a responsible owner he has not escaped he will NEVER be allowed to father pups etc. I don't like the assumption owning an entire pet means they are going to get out and breed or its irresponsible to own an entire pet.

Like people have said numerous times it is their pet it is their decision if they desex or not. If furballs came on here to ask for advice and seek help she obviously is a caring owner who genuinely cares for the welfare of her bitch. I think she'd prefer to be given advice and not be judged for having an entire bitch.

In saying that I can see where your concern comes from but I think your concern is misplaced.

Sorry not attacking anyone just my own opinion.

I understand that you are not attacking anyone, and I am asking this question because I am curious. There is an entire male dog that comes to the park, and it seems that quite a few of the desexed males growl and attack this particular dog, but play nicely with the the other dogs. If you take your boy into these situations, do you find the same thing?

I understand that you are not attacking anyone, and I am asking this question because I am curious. There is an entire male dog that comes to the park, and it seems that quite a few of the desexed males growl and attack this particular dog, but play nicely with the the other dogs. If you take your boy into these situations, do you find the same thing?

Why on earth do the owners continue to take the poor dog to the dog park?

I have found in the past, that desexed males do tend to get more 'goey' with entire males. Simple solution, stay away from dog parks. :rofl:

I agree with Gareth. Furballs is seeking advice re the situation not whether her bitch be desexed.

It may well be that Furballs may be competing in conformation this the dog must be Entire.Furballs you sound as if you are a responsible dog owner otherwisee you would have not sought advice here on DOL.

Furballs- it sounds like stress to me as one of mine stresses when she sees "little ones". Nervatona tablets soon fixed that( it is a homeopathic remedy).