Blue Weimaraner

BlueDom

I cannot answer your query. My son has a blue/grey Wei.

I am not sure that the Blue is an acceptable colour in Australia.

The Blue Weimaraner is currently a disqualifying fault in the American standard and is not accepted by the Weimaraner Klub e.V.

I am not sure that the Blue is an acceptable colour in Australia.
The Blue Weimaraner is currently a disqualifying fault in the American standard and is not accepted by the Weimaraner Klub e.V.

It's a disqualifying fault here too. Any breeder deliberately breeding for any disqualifying fault would be one I'd not be interested in buying from.

I thought the AKC had overturned blue and longhairs being disqualifying faults but maybe not. :mad

I only know a little because I hang out with Wei people at shows but as far as I know blue weis are incorrect, they are a dilution of black and a disqualifying fault. They can crop up as surprises in litters (I think) but no breeder that is ethical breeds blue weis.

Long hair is not a fault is it a seperate variety, like collies or daschunds.

From the Breed standard on the website of the Breed Club of NSW:

COLOUR:

Silver, roe or mouse grey, as well as shades of these colours. Head and leathers generally slightly paler. Only small white markings on chest or toes permitted. Sometimes a more or less defined trace occurs along the back. Dogs with definite reddish yellow markings may only be given the classification good. Brown marking is a serious fault.

FAULTS:

Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in the exact proportion to its degree.

SERIOUS FAULTS:

- Serious deficiencies ie. skin very fine or very coarse.

- Mixture of coat varieties defined in the standard.

- Clear deviation from type. Untypical sexual characteristics.

- Gross deviations of size and proportions

- Facial region: gross deviations eg. too strong flews, short or pointed muzzle.

- Jaws and teeth: lack of more than two PM1 or M3

- Eyes: Slight faults, above all slight and unilateral faults in eyelids. [Any fault with the eyes and/or the eyelids is considered a serious fault.]

- Ears: Definitely short or long, not folded.

- Throatiness (dewlap), great deviation in neck shape and muscle.

- Back: Definite sway or roach back. Rump higher than withers.

- Chest, belly: Barrel shaped chest. Insufficient depth or length of chest. Tucked up belly.

- Gross anomalies in stance ie. lack of angulation, out at elbows, splay feet.

- Pronounced bow legs or cow hocks.

- Bad movement in different gaits, also lack of free forward movement or drive, pacing.

- Lack of feathering on belly or leathers ( leather ears). Widely spread woolly coat in the shorthaired Weimaraner or curly or sparse feathering in the longhaired variety.

- Departure from shades of gray, such as yellow or brownish, Tan markings.

- Strong departure from correct height or weight (eg. more than 2 cm from measurements given in the standard).

- Slight deficiency in temperament.

- Other serious faults.

DISQUALIFYING FAULTS :

- Completely untypical, above all too heavy or too light in build.

- Completely unbalanced.

- Absolutely untypical, eg bulldog type head.

- Facial region: Absolutely untypical ie distinctly concave nasal bridge.

- Jaws and teeth: Overshot, undershot, missing further teeth other than quoted.

- Eyes: Entropion, ectropion.

- Ears: Absolutely untypical ie standoff.

- Particularly pronounced dewlap.

- Back: Severe sway or roach back. Definitely overbuilt at croup/

- Chest and belly: Markedly barrel shaped or malformed chest.

- Legs rickety or malformed.

- Chronic lameness

- Totally restricted movement

- Skin defects and malformations.

- Partial or total loss of hair.

- White markings other than on chest and feet.

- Colour other than gray. Widespread brown marking.

- Definitely over or under sized.

- Other malformation. Illness which must be considered hereditary, ie epilepsy.

- Faulty temperament ie shy or nervous.

No mention of the word blue anywhere. But they are supposed to all be grey, therefore blue is a fault.

Fine for a pet if it happens by accident but I would steer clear of any breeder deliberately breeding for breed standard faults!

I only know a little because I hang out with Wei people at shows but as far as I know blue weis are incorrect, they are a dilution of black and a disqualifying fault. They can crop up as surprises in litters (I think) but no breeder that is ethical breeds blue weis.

Not in the USA it ain't. :mad Just checked the AKC standard - blue and longhairs still disqualifying faults.

Edited by poodlefan

Not in the USA it ain't. :mad Just checked the AKC standard - blue and longhairs still disqualifying faults.

We are progressive here in Aus :laugh: They are following the FCI/Germany for Weis I think?

Not in the USA it ain't. :laugh: Just checked the AKC standard - blue and longhairs still disqualifying faults.

We are progressive here in Aus :love: They are following the FCI/Germany for Weis I think?

Dunno VCBR.. I've just exceeded my Weimy breed knowledge :mad

I don't think blue is genetically possible in pure bred Weis. The grey colour is caused by a double recessive, so it should not be possible to get a dominant colour from two recessives. Weis should be bb brown (that is recessive to black) and dd dilute (that is also recessive to black). A blue would have to be BB or Bb black with dd dilute, and that is not possible without introducing a black dog somewhere. Two parents that are bb cannot produce either Bb or BB.

Not in the USA it ain't. :love: Just checked the AKC standard - blue and longhairs still disqualifying faults.

We are progressive here in Aus :) They are following the FCI/Germany for Weis I think?

Dunno VCBR.. I've just exceeded my Weimy breed knowledge :laugh:

Doing well for a dog that isn't even in your group! :mad Blue weis brings to mind silver labs.

Doing well for a dog that isn't even in your group! :mad Blue weis brings to mind silver labs.

I've kicked a lot of Group 3 breeds' tyres over the years. :love:

I love Gundogs. Not sure they are right for me though. :laugh:

Edited by poodlefan

I don't think blue is genetically possible in pure bred Weis. The grey colour is caused by a double recessive, so it should not be possible to get a dominant colour from two recessives. Weis should be bb brown (that is recessive to black) and dd dilute (that is also recessive to black). A blue would have to be BB or Bb black with dd dilute, and that is not possible without introducing a black dog somewhere. Two parents that are bb cannot produce either Bb or BB.

There was a black dog introduced during WWII and since then blue had been popping up, apparently one of the first dogs exported to the USA from Germany after the war was blue

There was a black dog introduced during WWII and since then blue had been popping up, apparently one of the first dogs exported to the USA from Germany after the war was blue

Sorry I should have said one parent would have to be blue or black because they cannot be recessive to the grey. Even if there is a black dog in the pedigree the colour cannot show up without one parent being actually being (BB dd or Bb dd) blue or (BB Dd or Bb Dd) black.