Dog Lovers Race To Save Unwanted Greyhounds

labsrule

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw-...i-1225858106276

Dog lovers race to save unwanted greyhounds

* By Richard Noone

* April 26, 2010 12:00AM

HE'S the real-life equivalent of Santa's Little Helper. But, unlike the fictional greyhound from The Simpsons, his future looks grim.

Unless Jack, who raced under the name Dusty Doolan, can be adopted out to a new home, he will be put down by a vet.

That is the fate of tens of thousands of greyhounds after they retire from racing, are injured or deemed unsuitable for the track. Some are only pups.

Greyhounds are said to account for more than half the estimated 250,000 dogs bred annually in Australia.

There are potentially more greyhounds born every year than all other breeds combined, but only about a quarter of them become racing dogs.

Exactly how many greyhounds are abandoned, surrendered to pounds or killed illegally is not known because they are not required to be microchipped.

Trish Cawley founded Greyhounds4u last June to find homes for retired racers.

There is no shortage of ethical trainers wanting to find good homes for their retired champions, but the volunteer group's biggest hurdle is the muzzle greyhounds are forced to wear in public.

Ms Cawley said the archaic law had deeply tarnished the breed's reputation.

"They're really family-friendly and make great pets," she said.

Greyhound Racing NSW also funds a re-homing initiative.

It's the saddest thing. I dont think the GRV keeps records of how many greyhounds are born and destroyed every year, it would be bad publicity for them.

I wish there were more restrictions on breeding. Make it performance based for the bitches as well so people wont view them purely as a vehicle to carry the dogs contribution.

Not sure if I am explaining myself properly here, generally a dog doesn't go to stud unless he's performed very well on the track, but often people will use any bitch to get a litter from.

I was lucky enough to do some transporting for Greyhounds4U in February. The girl I transported had been a blood donor for vets near my place. she was so beautiful, I fell in love with her, really sooky and sweet temperament. A greyhound is definitely on my want list. I had never met one before.

I think that alot of the public need some education about greyhounds as well and what beautiful animals they are. Now my dad isn't the most animal loving person in the world (although he adores his two cavliers) and when he saw the greyhound instantly moved away from her and said they bite. I asked him how he came to that conclusion and he replied because they have to wear muzzles :thumbsup: yet my sister who lives in a trendy suburb in Melbourne came racing in to see the greyhound and was most disappointed that she had left already, she says that there are lots of rescued greyhounds around her area and she adores them.

Well done Trish for the publicity. :laugh: