Send In The Dogs!

Jake-K9

The sable that tracked the crashed car's driver? He was totally gorgeous, and I loved how he even treated the camera man as a 'threat' and kept switching back and forth between him and the others :thumbsup:

Must admit I'm surprised that the dog seemed to be so intent on "going" the offenders once apprehended. It was obvious the handler couldn't do anything but hold the dog. Don't they train an "offswitch" into them? I thought there was a 'Hold" command tht could be given so that the handler could render assistant or have his hands freed up if necessary. Perhaps that is a higher level of training that he hasn't attained yet?

The sable that tracked the crashed car's driver? He was totally gorgeous, and I loved how he even treated the camera man as a 'threat' and kept switching back and forth between him and the others :thumbsup:

Must admit I'm surprised that the dog seemed to be so intent on "going" the offenders once apprehended. It was obvious the handler couldn't do anything but hold the dog. Don't they train an "offswitch" into them? I thought there was a 'Hold" command tht could be given so that the handler could render assistant or have his hands freed up if necessary. Perhaps that is a higher level of training that he hasn't attained yet?

Yes, but I fail to see why the handler should of commanded the dog to leave the threat in that scenario. I would not of rendered assistance in that scenario and I would find it completely stupid for that handler to do so. It was a textbook apprehension from what I seen.

Just to add a little more information from how I viewed the situation:

The officer used his dog to track whoever was responsible for running from the scene of the accident. The dog successfully tracked down 2 persons of interest. The handler apprehended the people thanks to the ability and presence of his dog. At this point in time the officer does not know whether he has all the people involved or if they are armed. The officer kept his distance and called in for assistance, whilst his dog assisted with keeping the 2 people stationary and somewhat compliant. (Even though one was having an asthma attack)

By keeping his distance the officer was able to monitor the situation and have effective use of his other use of force tools for if/when the situation dictates he needs them. I would not be approaching these 2 people by myself without the assistance of another officer providing cover.

Police dogs and their handlers need to complete a 14 week general duties police dog course before they are allowed to become operational. They are then required to be re accredited every 4 months. I dare say after completing this training they can be commanded to down and out or be quiet when commanded.

Edited by Jeff Jones

I think Jeff Jones hit it on the head!

The handler appeared to be standing quite calmly to me, with more than adequate control over his dog, wasn't struggling to keep a grip on him. He (handler) would have had no idea if the two were armed, or as Jeff pointed out, there were others about also involved in the incident. With two people there it would have been perfectly adequate for the officer to give the second person instructions for helping their friend until ambos arrived, without being involved and vulnerable himself, and risk having his dog react to what it percieves as a threat if the handler is accidentally touched for example, and then end up with a completely un-necessary bite :/