More Relaxed About Training?

I have had dogs since I was a kid and am now 40 something I used to train my dogs very seriously but the more dogs I have had the more relaxed about it I have become. The end outcome is usually the same, all my dogs have been a pleasure to have and Ive always involved them in my day today activities. I think that being a bit more relaxed about training has maybe let their character develop a bit more. I probably have more fun with them now.

What do others feel about their training as time goes by?

I have had dogs since I was a kid and am now 40 something I used to train my dogs very seriously but the more dogs I have had the more relaxed about it I have become. The end outcome is usually the same, all my dogs have been a pleasure to have and Ive always involved them in my day today activities. I think that being a bit more relaxed about training has maybe let their character develop a bit more. I probably have more fun with them now.

What do others feel about their training as time goes by?

:love:

I've only been training dogs for 3 years, but the more I know the more I trust my dogs and the more I relax and the more fun we have.

I think there is a lot in this.

Totally agree. Except I keep more written notes and think more about how I'm going to train something

before I start.

But the times with the dog are better because I plan it out more. Therefore we are more relaxed when doing

stuff. She learns better that way, and I enjoy it more. It is partly because when I know what I want to do

beforehand there is no discussion with other people when we should be quietly focussing on what the dog is

doing.

I really dislike a lot of chatter doing training: it distracts the dogs, we talk after we've finished.

luvsablue

Totally agree. Except I keep more written notes and think more about how I'm going to train something

before I start.

But the times with the dog are better because I plan it out more. Therefore we are more relaxed when doing

stuff. She learns better that way, and I enjoy it more. It is partly because when I know what I want to do

beforehand there is no discussion with other people when we should be quietly focussing on what the dog is

doing.

I really dislike a lot of chatter doing training: it distracts the dogs, we talk after we've finished.

luvsablue

I dont keep notes but thats probably a good idea.

I agree too. Edward had so many problems when I got him it was a very serious business to train him. I think the training helped with his Separation Anxiety too. Now five years down the track it's nice to relax a bit and have fun with him.

I just got a pup, increasing the dogs to 4. I am being totally different with this pup. Being really quite slack beyond manners type stuff and doing more going to rivers etc. I was talking to a guy at work saying I didn't know what I wanted to do with her and he asked why I had to do anything and couldn't she just be a pet. It was a real light bulb moment. Most people don't do what we do with our dogs!! I also didn't buy her thinking I was going to do obedience or anything, I just liked her colour :thumbsup:

However she is much more lively than the last 2 borders have been and I think she is wanting to do stuff so I had better get off my bum!

I am much more relaxed now about stuff like hole digging and plant destroying! I get a new pup and just accept that the garden is going to get a bit messy for a while.

I just got a pup, increasing the dogs to 4. I am being totally different with this pup. Being really quite slack beyond manners type stuff and doing more going to rivers etc. I was talking to a guy at work saying I didn't know what I wanted to do with her and he asked why I had to do anything and couldn't she just be a pet. It was a real light bulb moment. Most people don't do what we do with our dogs!! I also didn't buy her thinking I was going to do obedience or anything, I just liked her colour :o

However she is much more lively than the last 2 borders have been and I think she is wanting to do stuff so I had better get off my bum!

I am much more relaxed now about stuff like hole digging and plant destroying! I get a new pup and just accept that the garden is going to get a bit messy for a while.

4 dogs, excellent. That would keep you busy. Yes you dont have to do anything with your dog, but I couldnt imagine not.......