Thundershirts

I have just read Temple Grandin's book, Making Animals Happy. In it she mentions the use of pressure for a calming effect. I found that interesting as just putting a harness on my dog seems to calm her down a bit. Then in a another post I see a link to Thundershirts. Has anyone tried them? Do they work? My girl reacts to thunder by barking, growling and running around like a maniac. I usually just bring her inside and dont make a big deal out of it.

I have just read Temple Grandin's book, Making Animals Happy. In it she mentions the use of pressure for a calming effect. I found that interesting as just putting a harness on my dog seems to calm her down a bit. Then in a another post I see a link to Thundershirts. Has anyone tried them? Do they work? My girl reacts to thunder by barking, growling and running around like a maniac. I usually just bring her inside and dont make a big deal out of it.

They can work for some animals. You can try a simple version with either a bandage wrapped in a figure 8 (in front of chest, over shoulders, then under belly and over lower back if still length) or a small t-shirt that fits snug (tie bottom of shirt in a knot to take up slack around belly).

I have found the majority of animals with sound phobias often have issues being touched (can be subtle) around the back end or mouth. Doing TTouch work around the body can help reduce this.

A lot of this is about helping the animal improve their self awareness which tends to not exhist much when they are in a manic state. Your seeing the relaxation from this when you put the harness on.

They can work for some animals. You can try a simple version with either a bandage wrapped in a figure 8 (in front of chest, over shoulders, then under belly and over lower back if still length) or a small t-shirt that fits snug (tie bottom of shirt in a knot to take up slack around belly).

I have found the majority of animals with sound phobias often have issues being touched (can be subtle) around the back end or mouth. Doing TTouch work around the body can help reduce this.

A lot of this is about helping the animal improve their self awareness which tends to not exhist much when they are in a manic state. Your seeing the relaxation from this when you put the harness on.

Thanks for your reply. I will try the bandage next thunderstorm.

Just out of interest, I found this paper today:

Comparison of the effectiveness of a purported anti-static cape (the Storm Defender ®) vs. a placebo cape in the treatment of canine thunderstorm phobia as assessed by owners' reports

Author(s): Cottam N (Cottam, Nicole)1, Dodman NH (Dodman, Nicholas H.)1

Source: APPLIED ANIMAL BEHAVIOUR SCIENCE Volume: 119 Issue: 1-2 Pages: 78-84 Published: JUN 2009

Abstract: Canine thunderstorm phobia is considered a noise phobia, however, it has been theorized that pain associated with discharge of accrued static electricity could contribute to this malady. This project aimed to determine if a purported anti-static cape (the Storm Defender ®) and a non-anti-static cape (placebo cape) were therapeutic for canine thunderstorm phobia....

...Owners in both groups indicated that their dogs displayed significantly less hiding behavior by the fourth use of the cape. Seventy percent of owners who used the Storm Defender ® on their dogs and 67% of the placebo cape owners reported some degree of improvement via a global assessment score, made after the fourth use of the cape. There was no statistically significant difference between the Storm Defender ® and placebo cape groups in their baseline pretreatment anxiety scores, median treatment anxiety scores or in their owner global assessment. The results indicate that use of a form-fitting cape may be moderately therapeutic in treating canine thunderstorm phobia. More research is needed to determine why owners reported effectiveness with both cape types.

Thanks for your reply. I will try the bandage next thunderstorm.

I used to use some kids long sleeve t-shit/skivvy type tops on my thunderphobic boy. I think it was about a size 3 or 4 in a stretchy type material and fitted quite firm over the body and down the front legs. He was still stressy but better than without.

The most effective in keeping him calm was to put him in that and then crate him at the end of the passage with doors shut so he didn't get the lights flashes and put something over his crate. This would reduce it to just the occasional whine and a little stress panting rather than the screaming, mad running we would get otherwise. With just the t-shirt he would pace and cry and just crated he would cry and scratch at the crate.