Please Delete :)

I would like to know the advices as well. My dog: Zoya is a very timid, happy go lucky dog. she always careful approaching other dogs and prefer that other dogs making first move. but that's only offlead. On lead, she will lounge and growl and rather looks quite aggressive to other dog. but if we let her sniff the dog (usually only happen in dog park), she is fine. only the process to get the other dog while she is on lead that looks aggressive. Off lead she is a beautiful dog.

I am interested to hear some answers and advices.

I'm not too keen on the advice. It sounds as if she is expected to "scare" the dog into better behaviour.

IMO the dog is being protective of the owner.

You state that the owner is a bit soft so maybe she needs to step up a little so the dog doesn't take over the leadership role.

She could start with the triangle of temptation-pinned in the training thread.

I'd also ask around for a trainer who uses more "positive" methods.

Dangerous advice in my opinion considering the 'trainer' probably doesn't understand the reason why the dog is displaying that behaviour.

Your friend would be much better off having a session with a qualified Behaviourist,

Ridiculous I agree.

A dog does need need grabbing roughly & to be yelled at right in its face. Its not deaf.

I would make sure the dogs understands NO & Leave it first then put the dog on a lead & get someone to come in with a dog & approach. Then verbal command & reward. praise, treat, whatever.

Friend needs to ask advice elsewhere.

I took on my people/dog aggressive newf rescue......We never yelled...........Every time she went for a dog/person or growled at one, I would just say "leave it" in a firm tone, no yelling. I would turn around and start some active obedience. Not too far from the "enemy". Every time she sat/dropped on cue, I would reward with praise and treats. And we would pass the "enemy" again, constantly training praising. She is now so easy and friendly around people and dogs. I call it lead aggression and it only gets worse if you are aggressive too. It took us about six month in total to get over it and about a year to totally trust her. But she is now one of the most friendly and social dogs at our training.

If I do feel that she is uncomfortable with a new dog, I still use "leave it" and now often only ask for a sit on a loose lead, with lots of praise. I still think we pass a lot of our emotions on to a dog.

If I thought I could not handle a dog, I would go to a good trainer and ask for help........I personally have never been to keen on the grabbing of a dogs muzzle by just anyone> I think there might be a place at times. But the timing would have to be good and the person who does it would have to know the when and exact how. I think if done incorrectly it could lead to someone being bitten

A 5 month old gsd is still a baby and in my experience with gsd they are a vocal breed. It sounds like the dog is frightened and feels threatened when approaced by another dog. Maybe the owner is sending nervous vibes down the lead when other dogs approach so dog dosnt feel leadership coming from owner. May explain why dog is fine when beside someone else. Maybe try a different trainer. Triangle of Temptation is good too. I wouldnt put the dog in situations where it feels threatened and reacts badly, keep at a safe distance and build up confidence before allowing close contact. Is dog going through a fear period??????