Some Judges "why"

Dlanigervon

As an exhibitor I would prefer a judge to give me a moment to stand my exhibit up (a table breed) so that I can give them the correct outline for the breed.

When judging, I preferred to allow exhibitors time to stand their dogs up (ground or table) as this is the best time to form an impression of the dog's correct (or not) outline for its breed, its head planes, its length and set-on of neck which also indicates lay of shoulder, point of withers, forechest depth and shape, and topline, croup, tailset. Overall balance and angulation can be seen (non coated breed) or estimated (coated), the latter requiring confirmation by hands-on examination. (Hands on examination confirms what the eye has already seen and adds details such as foot shape, head proportions, eye colour, bite, earset, rib spring and depth/length of ribbing:loin, elbow set, temperament etc.)

If a judge pounces immediately upon my exhibit prior to being given a chance to set it up and show its conformation and true outline, I just assume they are not interested in my breed and thus respect them rather less.

Judges can and will chose to use whatever methods of examination they prefer, but if they pounce straight on my dog without bothering to even take a look at it stacked, - I assume they are not really interested in my breed and its doubtful they will see me ever again.

This is a very interesting point. Examination confirming what you have viewed.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had an international judge today do this with my non-rare breed. Same judge didn't watch as I was coming back to him on the out and back... was too interested in his jacket zipper! :) So when stopped, went back and did it again so he COULD see her lovely movement. Got BCC and RuBOB!

In another ring with my non-tabled, rare breed, the judge asked me to table her... I stopped and had a "huh" moment and he asked whether I would prefer her on the ground instead... yes please! :confused: I don't think they get many of them in his country!

As an exhibitor I would prefer a judge to give me a moment to stand my exhibit up (a table breed) so that I can give them the correct outline for the breed.

When judging, I preferred to allow exhibitors time to stand their dogs up (ground or table) as this is the best time to form an impression of the dog's correct (or not) outline for its breed, its head planes, its length and set-on of neck which also indicates lay of shoulder, point of withers, forechest depth and shape, and topline, croup, tailset. Overall balance and angulation can be seen (non coated breed) or estimated (coated), the latter requiring confirmation by hands-on examination. (Hands on examination confirms what the eye has already seen and adds details such as foot shape, head proportions, eye colour, bite, earset, rib spring and depth/length of ribbing:loin, elbow set, temperament etc.)

If a judge pounces immediately upon my exhibit prior to being given a chance to set it up and show its conformation and true outline, I just assume they are not interested in my breed and thus respect them rather less.

Judges can and will chose to use whatever methods of examination they prefer, but if they pounce straight on my dog without bothering to even take a look at it stacked, - I assume they are not really interested in my breed and its doubtful they will see me ever again.

Very good post

I always like to have my exhibits settle by moving around the ring then I get each exhibitor to stack their dog before I go over them because I like to get an overall picture first then do a hands on.

I have had judges pounce on my dogs straight away which I dont like and my dogs dont like. One judge with the Bullmastiff breed judging one day unsettled all the exhibits. My boy doesnt pull away from any judge and stands quietly but not this day. There must of been something about this judge because he pulled away right from the start. My boy got told to settle but when the judge went over my older girl she pulled away as well and was very unsettled with the judge. We didnt win that day and I didnt like how he examined the exhibits.

At a show many years ago back in NZ the Bulldog judge at an AB show was quite rough with the male dogs, making sure he examined the testicles in a rough way. No one was happy about that

Had an international judge today do this with my non-rare breed. Same judge didn't watch as I was coming back to him on the out and back... was too interested in his jacket zipper! :thumbsup: So when stopped, went back and did it again so he COULD see her lovely movement. Got BCC and RuBOB!

In another ring with my non-tabled, rare breed, the judge asked me to table her... I stopped and had a "huh" moment and he asked whether I would prefer her on the ground instead... yes please! :birthday: I don't think they get many of them in his country!

Well done Lindsay!

Learning to a walk a dog into its' front makes everything much easier, usually need to just adjust one leg if anything.

I was recently the only one in my class and only had to adjust the one leg and the judge was in my dogs mouth just as I put my hand on the dogs leg...2 seconds more would have been nice LOL But you get that with some of them.

Edited by sas

Learning to a walk a dog into its' front makes everything much easier, usually need to just adjust one leg if anything.

I was recently the only one in my class and only had to adjust the one leg and the judge was in my dogs mouth just as I put my hand on the dogs leg...2 seconds more would have been nice LOL But you get that with some of them.

Bit tricky walking a table breed into it's front though! Maybe a catwalk!!! (okay a dogwalk then! :eek: )

You can walk a table breed into it's front by placing the dog on the back of the table and encouraging it to step forward. I've done this with both the Pugs and the Whippets.

If your dog can free bait on the ground, you can certainly do the same on the table.

Hmmm, I'll start practicing that, never seen a table breed done anyway except 'placed and positioned' and then free baited or have I? I'll have to look more closely and carefully. Ta

Edited by LizT

You can walk a table breed into it's front by placing the dog on the back of the table and encouraging it to step forward. I've done this with both the Pugs and the Whippets.

If your dog can free bait on the ground, you can certainly do the same on the table.

Hmmm, I'll start practicing that, never seen a table breed done anyway except 'placed and positioned' and then free baited or have I? I'll have to look more closely and carefully. Ta

I free stack my older JRT on the table, much easier for me because she hates being hand stacked and will make herself look crap! I put her on the back of the table, walk in front and free bait like I would on the ground, she walks up and stacks herself. I may have to move a foot now and then, but most often she will do it herself.

She picked it up quite easy and being a terrier I get much more expression and interest out of her doing it this way. I can't do it with all of my dogs though as some don't hold their tails right up and need a bit of a hand.

Bit tricky walking a table breed into it's front though! Maybe a catwalk!!! (okay a dogwalk then! :) )

:laugh: I have a Great Dane....lovely height!

Bit tricky walking a table breed into it's front though! Maybe a catwalk!!! (okay a dogwalk then! :( )

:) I have a Great Dane....lovely height!

Yep, was watching the Danes ring for a bit on the weekend and you guys get a lovely workout yourselves, makes me feel down right old and lazy. ;) PS Congrats Sway!

But getting back to the original problem of this thread, wouldn't this method, if you have a "Judge in a hurry" situation have the Judge waiting at the end of the table?

Edited by LizT

We witnessed a classic "judge in a hurry" scenario at a show today.

Group 6 specials were being judged. The first few dogs were in the ring. The judge walks over and hands the sash to the Dobermann exhibitor.....as the Samoyed comes flying into the ring.

The Samoyed exhibitor was justifiably pissed!

Can't remember just where I got this from but I think I heard once that it should take you no more than 6 seconds to stack your dog.

I was taught the same thing at show training, not that I could ever stack my dog that quik :):):rofl:

Can't remember just where I got this from but I think I heard once that it should take you no more than 6 seconds to stack your dog.

I was taught the same thing at show training, not that I could ever stack my dog that quik :):(:)

As a "newbie" I was told by experienced exhibitors "this is your time, don't feel rushed, take your time, get yourself and your dog together".

Edited by LizT