If Early Early Signs Of Pregnancy Indicate Large Litters.

Kaffy Magee

I have two litters due in May. From one week on I was able to tell one of my bitches was pregnant, other than the usual signs, she just looked pregnant. The other was 2 weeks along and while I thought she was pregnant I wasnt as confident with that suspicion.

I was talking to another breeder who tells me she had a bitch that she could tell from one week on and she ended up having 14 pups. Please tell me there is no connection there,lol.

Im just curious to know that those of you that have been able to tell, did they end up having huge litters. Do you think those with heaps show earlier. Im booked in for an ultrasound with her tomorrow, I look forward to proving the vet wrong. I told him I knew she was pregnant and that was when she was 3 weeks, he says I shouldnt be able to tell, so she must be tricking. This girl is not tricking, I gaurantee that,lol.

My maiden Stafford bitch came home after her mating and I knew within a week that she was in whelp. At 13 days she had morning sickness. At 3 weeks she had developed a "pot belly".

This is 28 days.....

post-864-1271728874_thumb.jpg

This is 3 days prior to whelping.....

post-864-1271728970_thumb.jpg

She had 9 puppies.

On the other hand, my American Cocker bitch (also a maiden) kept me guessing right up until very late in the pregnancy and gave birth to just two puppies.

Not about numbers in litters necessarily, but up until today I was absolutely positively SURE my girl was pregnant since the week of her mating.....everything in her attitude and temperament had changed, she was certainly more "maternal" - less puppy-like jumping around, morning sickness, pot belly, boobs starting up - THE WORKS ......

But even though I would've SWORN she was pregnant on the weekend - I can't be so sure today :) I *do* think she's reabsorbed in the last few days. :mad

Large numbers become more obvious earlier in the pregnancy imho. ;)

Not about numbers in litters necessarily, but up until today I was absolutely positively SURE my girl was pregnant since the week of her mating.....everything in her attitude and temperament had changed, she was certainly more "maternal" - less puppy-like jumping around, morning sickness, pot belly, boobs starting up - THE WORKS ......

But even though I would've SWORN she was pregnant on the weekend - I can't be so sure today :thumbsup: I *do* think she's reabsorbed in the last few days. :cry:

Large numbers become more obvious earlier in the pregnancy imho. :o

I was watching a documentary on dogs vs wolves a while ago and apparently the 'safe day' is day 36. If pups are going to be reabsorbed, this will happen up to day 35. If they make it to day 36, they will be born (dead or alive apparently.)

I think it was day 36?? My memory is foggy. It is something like that though.

ETA: Sunni was shown at the Brisbane royal 5 weeks in whelp with 11 pups. She was runner up BOB. She looked a bit thicker set but she wasn't obviously pregnant. (2nd litter)

I have Kayo here who will be six weeks tomorrow... she looks very in whelp (maiden litter)

Edited by Ashanali

Bronte didnt look huge up until the 6 weeks mark,and she had 18.

Another was the same size,didnt show at all until 6 weeks(only a little thickened around waist) and she had 11.Leila wasnt huge either until the 6 week mark,and she had 14.

So i dont think early size is indicative of large litters.

My black girl only flew home yesterday from being mated last Thursday and Friday. Obviously its far to early to tell if the matings took but she is a real live wire and very exciteable and ALWAYS hungry - well she is a Labrador. For the first time ever, last night she didnt eat all her dinner. So that leaves a couple of options, she could still be jet lagged from a one hour flight, she could have a bit of morning sickness in the afternoon or its just a coincidence.

Not sure about indications of litter sizes but my other black girl for her first litter I was positive at 3 weeks and she had 11. For her second litter I think we were pretty certain by about 3 weeks and she had 10. But that's a normal litter for Labs.

But keep your eyes open and I will keep you updated on our observations. A good longitutidinal study this. :laugh:

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. We proved the vet wrong today, which I knew we would. She is expecting. The vet didnt even bother trying to count, he says theres lots! So I guess now we just have to wait and see.

Well congratulations, when are they due?