What To Put In Pet Reference For Rental

pixie_meg

So I am pretty sure we are about to get notice to move out so i need to get my pet reference in gear. My real estate agent is going to write a pet reference, not that i know what that means really. So I'm doing a word doc and so far it has a section for the borzoi temperament and comments made by neighbours(ie. no barking). Also put in some pics of him. Just wondering what i'm missing. I was going to put in a general description like rarely barks, doesn't dig, gentle etc. any help appreciated.

I know of a awesome rental property in The Blue Mountains but that is a bit far for you :D

Pre-requisite for the property is that your MUST LOVE DOGS as she has about 5 and also has horses and birds etc

but it is on acreage. Great property and beautiful spot. Owner lives in a 2 bed house attached to the bigger 4 bed house and the

yard is mammoth. Easy half fenced acre to contain the animals

Theres a great house just put up for rent that i know used to have dogs in the yard, so i'm hopeful. The problem is not many fenced yards come up for rent up here so i want to jump on this one.

will check out that link.

We put in a pet refererence, with 2 previous agents vouching for us. Our covering letter described our family and interests very briefly, but included our dog as a family member. eg: Your name, occupation interests, partners name occupation and interests, child and interests (remember that some children do more damage than the pets), dog and temperament and interests (lying in the sun, sleeping on his bean bag). The idea was to present the whole package and broaden the focus, not to focus on what the agent/ owner may see as a negative, this way, you can present your good qualities eg: you may like gardening, which can help balance out the potential negative of the pet. You may have a really good employment history which shows that you have a solid character, and a covering letter can highlight these positives.

A friend recently did the same, and offered to pay an additional bond as an act of good faith. The owner was impressed by her honesty (some people don't declare pets), and although not initially wanting a pet family, accepted the application.

When we rented our house to a family, even though we had dogs previously at the property, we still asked for the tenants to provide their dog reference. Their dog was a digging breed but quite elderly, the agent checked out their previous property and gave a good report. We just highlighted the clause in the lease that the garden and yard had to be returned to the original condition. It's already included in the lease, but we wanted to draw the agent and tenants attention to this, and to show that even though we accepted the dog, we did have certain expectations.

Good luck

When we were renting I would put in exactly how many dogs I had, breed, their ages, a copy of their current vacc certificate, copy of their current registration with the council and the local obedience club I was a member of. I am also a groomer so I think that may have helped.

There was one property that said no pets and I offered a $1000 dog bond and that I would have the place professionally cleaned and fumigated when we left. They never bothered with the extra bond but accepted our application.

Good Luck I remember how nerve racking it was applying for a new place.

Edited to Add: I also had references from previous landlords and at least one neighbour.

Edited by Crazy Daisy

I would include such things as obedience training, vaccinations and health checks, house trained, non destructive, regularly exercised etc, so that they can see that you are a responsible pet owner.

The main concern about renting a house to someone with pets is damage to the property, potential introduction of pests (fleas) and impact on neighbours (barking complaints, fence jumping etc). If you can mitigate those before they become an issue, you are halfway there.