Runs Like A Rocking Horse

KismetKat

It's hard to say souff - I would really need to see slowed down video of the dogs gait to see what is really happening. I no longer go to this park much, just I have visited again recently, saw the dog and wondered. He's done this since I first knew him and I always joked with the owner about him being like a rocking horse. Now i've been back at the park after a long absence, seen he still does this (and after reading things on DOL) I just wondered if it might be signs a problem.

KismetKat ..... when the dog is running at speed, does it appear as though it is for a moment doing like a hand-stand with its front feet with its butt coming up in the air in a somewhat exaggerated manner, before the back legs finally come under .... at which point the front end lifts higher off the ground than one would think was normal?

It's hard to say souff - I would really need to see slowed down video of the dogs gait to see what is really happening. I no longer go to this park much, just I have visited again recently, saw the dog and wondered. He's done this since I first knew him and I always joked with the owner about him being like a rocking horse. Now i've been back at the park after a long absence, seen he still does this (and after reading things on DOL) I just wondered if it might be signs a problem.

Next time I go to that park I will pay more attention when I see him and see what he does at different speeds - but certainly when I think he's at a speed where my dog would be at a trot, he's doing the rocking horse thing. I will keep an eye out for when he actually runs.

If it is happening while your dog is still trotting evenly, it is possibly much like the problem I was first thinking of.

It is as if the dog can only trot for a very limited time, then the hopping/rolling gait kicks in.

Some dogs will gallop at great speed over distance, but then can easily trot when they slow down.

Souff

I have not seen it in show dogs so can only assume that it is the result of very poor selection.

Or perhaps the dogs who exhibit this awkward gait are not likely to be the dogs that are shown?

I would be very concerned if I saw dogs bunnyhopping around the show ring, but you actually make a good point.

They could still have papers.

Souff

KismetKat ..... when the dog is running at speed, does it appear as though it is for a moment doing like a hand-stand with its front feet with its butt coming up in the air in a somewhat exaggerated manner, before the back legs finally come under .... at which point the front end lifts higher off the ground than one would think was normal?

That could be it erny - obviously i need to watch this dog more closely next time i go to this park so i can describe better.

That could be it erny - obviously i need to watch this dog more closely next time i go to this park so i can describe better.

If you do get to watch the dog more closely, watch to see if he doesn't seem to be arching his back as he should (or, if he is arching his back, that it in itself doesn't look 'funny').

If this is the picture you do see, then I'd be suggesting a back/spinal issue.