Neighbour's Dog - Should I Be Concerned?

Guest RosieFT

Guest RosieFT

There is a relatively new dog in our area, I have vaguely heard some barking and whining in the past few weeks and have since discovered that our back neighbours must have a new dog. We have a largish block (820sqm) and have several fences ajoining ours. Anyway, where our block is at its highest point, tucked away by the shed and in amongst trees and bushes (of course, so lovely easy access, not) our fence height is at its lowest for a few metres. There is also a slight gap in the fence where they join in the corner, enough for a dog nose.

My OH has temporarily blocked up the join so they cannot sniff each other, but this dog keeps coming to this spot and whining. He is also jumping up, but my OH says it has no chance of getting over. I am not so sure. When he jumps, his nose is just peaking over, but not his eyes. He/she seems to be of a bully type?!?!? but i am the first to say that I am no expert in bully breeds! It is black, double length legs to backyard staffords that I am familiar with, with a similar head but less boxy and more boxer like. It seems friendly, tail wagging...

It is also the highest part of their block, so at this point the fence is ~1.5m??? not really sure.

OH says it won't get over, but I am not so sure! The fences are fibro, so no purchase points, unless it gets its paws on lip???

I don't know the neighbours at all as it is the backpoint of both our properties and I don't think they ever go up to that point on their side?? My MIL came for a visit yesterday and her dog went straight to that part of the garden and was obviously interacting with this dog.

???

Extend the height of your fence with some good quality lattice then you won't have to worry.

I just read that your fences are fibro, I've never seen a fibro fence so don't know if lattice would attach.

Edited by Miranda

Extend the height of your fence with some good quality lattice then you won't have to worry.

I just read that your fences are fibro, I've never seen a fibro fence so don't know if lattice would attach.

We had fibro fences when we moved in here, lattice was attached down one side with screws. Seemed to have worked OK. They had attached the lattice to thicker timber battens and then screwed the battens to the fence.

It depends on the dog. It is all in the dogs head not in its body. What the dog looks like it is capable of and what it is infact capable of are two different things.

Your husband may be right, perhaps the dog can't get over, he also may be wrong.

My old dog was a big guy, heavy build, you would not think him the type capable of jumping a fence, but think again. When he set his mind to it the fence was no problem. They hook their paws over the top and then they can scramble the rest of the way.

In contrast, my current dog is athletic and agile in appearance, but the nature of her temperament and my training means she cannot jump a relatively low fence let alone a high one despite appearances, because she does not believe she can.

I would definately get an extension to the fence. That dog has plenty of time to try and one time, he will get lucky and get a hold and get over.

Our neighour had a small yappy dog, that tried to get over, no way I thought, but after weeks of trying he finally figured it out. Luckily our puppy was inside in her crate.

Not worth the risk

On one side of my yard the colourbond fence is only 5 feet high... where our dogs could jump up and see over into the neighbour's yard, we have attached lattice to long star pickets - it works a treat - for our dogs and theirs...

It works well for when the neighbour's young lad likes to climb a ladder on their side of the fence to have a chat and see my foster puppies... he can see through, but cant fall over the fence... hehe!

T.

Guest RosieFT

Thanks all.

It is just really bad timing. My husband is in the process of ripping out our bathroom as we have tradies coming this week and has been flat out all weekend. He took some time out and dug in a piece of fence to block all of the gap completely and put some pickets in to hold the fence better. I looked over fence and can see wood against the bottom of their fence, so i assume he cannot dig under...

But we have not yet been able to make it higher. We are going to replace the piece of fence with a taller piece of fibro for a long term solution as it is a really old piece of fence and is starting to crack etc. It is only the one panel. I will try at least get something on it tomorrow to make it higher in the interum. I didn't see or hear from the dog for the rest of the day and we took Rosie with us when we went out.