What Is A Pure Bred?

Jed thank you for your history of your breed but I have a question for you from your history lesson.

Where can I get my hands on a lithuanian goat. At only thirty centimetres tall and produce ten litres of milk each day yet live on barren ground I could do with a couple of thousand head. Obviously more money in these than in running bloody sheep. Not too worried about their swimming abilities- we don't have any water so they should fit in here quite easliy

*nods* - that's why they were so keen to catch them and domesticate them and why they put up with serious injury to collar one. Taste ok too, I understand. ;)

I believe the president of the Lithuanian Goat Retriever Club has a thriving stud of these little suckers, and would be happy to export a couple of hundred. They still have working days for the dogs, of course.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ummm, as the owner of two ANKC main registered White Swiss Shepherds, which is the FCI name for White Shepherds, hence White GSDs, I will disagree which this statement.

It's only the White Shepherds of Australian origin which currently can't be registered, like Chewbacca's poor depressed Kimba.

Yes, I'm sorry, I fully understand and I didn't mean to critisize, Swiss shepherds, White GSD's ect. When I replied I was keeping it "simple" for the sake of the OP and I was referring to the definition I used. I should have in fact used the term "registered purebred" I should also have said "In Australia"

I have bred GSD's and so i'm aware of the issues. Also, in America there are "Brindle Pugs" that are registered but are certainly not purebred. That's why the Pug people worked so hard to prohibit the registration of these dogs here in Australia.

Jed thank you for your history of your breed but I have a question for you from your history lesson.

Where can I get my hands on a lithuanian goat. At only thirty centimetres tall and produce ten litres of milk each day yet live on barren ground I could do with a couple of thousand head. Obviously more money in these than in running bloody sheep. Not too worried about their swimming abilities- we don't have any water so they should fit in here quite easliy

I quite understand where you are coming from here, but have you considered the OHS implications of running a couple of thousand of these rather nasty animals?

:laugh:

When I first looked at this topic I just spent the last 5-10mins reading through the old topic hoping to see Jed's story on the "Lithuanian Goat Catching Retriever" :grouphug: and I am so glad it was posted again here.

I loved it. I am still very new to the dog world and trying to learn more and more and while it was very much in laymen terms, it made perfect sense and was clear and so easy to understand. All I want to say to Jed is :grouphug: and thankyou for reposting it!

When I first looked at this topic I just spent the last 5-10mins reading through the old topic hoping to see Jed's story on the "Lithuanian Goat Catching Retriever" :) and I am so glad it was posted again here.

I loved it. I am still very new to the dog world and trying to learn more and more and while it was very much in laymen terms, it made perfect sense and was clear and so easy to understand. All I want to say to Jed is :laugh: and thankyou for reposting it!

It does seem difficult to understand what a standard is, and why it is, for newcomers, and I hoped an explanation of the development of a fictitious dog, although in a very condensed version, would help explain what breed standards were all about.

All the items in every standard of the breed for every breed are there for a very good reason, but unless you have the breed, you have no idea why the standard says "slightly rounded skull", but there always IS a reason. Not just that someone thought it looked ok. :provoke:

And usually it is because way back, people who bred them decided, like the people in the story, that a particular feature was important, because they tried the dogs, and found this or that worked best - so they bred for it, it worked, so it went into the breed standard.

We all need to understand what a breed standard is, and what it is for, I think. Glad you enjoyed it, and glad you learned from it. :(

Breed standards for some of the toy breeds are different, but I wanted to give people the general idea of how it happened

Edited by Jed

It also goes a way to explain why, even though dogs of a certain breed match the standard, they may look slightly different to another dog of the same breed that also matches the standard.

Like with Australian Shepherds (and no doubt other breeds) particular bloodlines bring particular traits to the breed and they can give dogs from that line a certain "look" or "type" that may not be shared by dogs from different bloodlines.

Edited by GayleK

Jed!!

I bet the demand for LGR will be even more after this article!!

Goats

:) , geez, Billy must be a Lithuanian goat. He didn't bite anyone though, maybe not! Can't trust goats. You know, maybe the nursing home needs some Lithuanian Goat Catching Retrievers??

Jed!!

I bet the demand for LGR will be even more after this article!!

Goats

:) , geez, Billy must be a Lithuanian goat. He didn't bite anyone though, maybe not! Can't trust goats. You know, maybe the nursing home needs some Lithuanian Goat Catching Retrievers??

I saw it in the paper the same day you posted the famous Breed Standard for the Lithuaninan Goat CR I laughed my head off!

You should put your stories in a book and sell them through MDBA etc I will def buy one as I am sure would many others!

J

You mean for ... money ...? Whee!! I could afford a new show umbrella then!! And some running shoes instead of the thongs ................... oh the excitement!!

But what could I call it? "Jed's Ramblings" just doesn't have that aura of success about it, does it??

But I suppose Buster Lloyd Jones sold a lot of books

:)

I wrote most of a Mills & Boon once, got near the end, didn't finish it. Computer was superseded, always meant to pull it off that computer and finish it ..... still mean to. Let a few people read it, to see if they liked it, they did.

Was about a chick whose ambition was to ride at the Olympics, she devoted her whole life to it, the horse broke down, so it wasn't happening. Her mother sent her "out west" to get away from it all .... and when she was there, she met two brothers ... you know, the nice one, and the dark, brooding one ........ who ignored her. It had lyrical descriptions of warmbloods doing tempi changes, and training, so it should have appealed to horse lovers, it had descriptive passages about kwala bears and kangaroos (and a goanna, I believe) so the nature lovers would have enjoyed it, and of course, it had plenty of (almost) steamy stuff, it had descriptions of country life, one of the brothers had a secret, of course, and it had a happy ending. All her dreams come true, and of course, she gets off with one of the brothers.

That ridiculous Aussie author who writes about the outback and horses, and always gets the horse stuff wrong sold heaps - so who knows. Wish I could remember her name. Wish I could remember my name :confused:

Steve, I have nightmares about some of those crosses. If you cross a pug and a beagle, and you get something with the pug's conformation and the beagles drives, I wonder how long it will be before some serious health problems emerge? No long. The beagle was made to cruise over distances and he is conformationally sound to do that. When you cross him with another breed made for entirely different purposes, you are breeding nightmares.

Cavalier x beagles give me nightmares too - for exactly the same reason.

Yep it can be the stuff of nightmares.....

Pug x Beagle = snufflin, snoring little Beagle type dogs with a screw tail and who probably cant free whelp :confused:

A waste of good genes.

Cavvy x Beagle = hells bells, lock up the dog food real tight! :)

I have a vision of a rotund type of brown hairy dog, something like a rather large overweight LH Dachsie

(with apologies to all the well bred LH Dachshunds out there).

Not to mention how frustrating it would be for the dog to have the drive and instinct to scent but not being physically capable.