Litters Due June 2010

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cavalblaze - sorry to hear you've had so much bad luck with these pups. Let us know how how she gets on at the Vet,

but apart from advice others have already given you there's not much more I can offer.

Wishing lil Ruby all the luck in the world!

Hi Cavalblaze,

I'm really really sorry to hear you've lost a baby and others are going down hill. I haven't read the other posts so you may have already had these suggestions but if not... To make sure she stays with the babies and looks after them whilst you're not around either crate her with them or put a puppy pen around her whelping box. She needs to look after them and from what you are saying she is not wanting to stay with them. Also you say she has heaps of milk.

Squeeze her nipples off milking her a bit to relieve some of the pressure, she may be feeling uncomfortable and it will make sure she doesn't get mastitis. You've got heating now so that's super as it's very important they stay warm otherwise they can't digest the milk. All the best.

ETA Just read she's vomitted and your'e off to the vet. If she is unwell it would explain why she's not wanting to look after the pups fulltime. Hopefully the vet will get her back on track.

Edited by Chocolate

I hope everything is ok CB, thinking of you.

Back from Vets.

They couldn't find anything physically wrong with her except that her nipples are three times the size of normal dogs, therefore the little ones are struggling to get a feed. She also isn't the best mum at present wanting out of the room however she is bond to the whelping box . As a precaution measure, they have given her a antibotics and i am expressing to avoid masitis.

My friend said the room temp is fine and it's just mum that is singling out the strongest and weakest puppies is evident at present and i need to be wary of that.

Puppies welfare...., little ruby will be parting us in the next few hours i beleive. As she can not hold her own head up she cannot be tube fed, and all i can do is express and suringe feed as the smallest teat size for bottle feeding is too big for her. She is fighting but isn't improving. Black /tan i will persue with expressing and bottle feeding. She at least can suck and has a better chance.

The struggling ones have had antibotics and fluids given under the skin.

The remaining 3 rubies i will continue to top up with formula or express as per advised. They are looking ok at present but i'm very concerned and will be monitoring them.

Cavalblaze, do you have a breeder friend that you can call on to come and give you a hand? She needs to understand that she has to stay with the pups - sometimes it takes a day or so for the maternal instinct to sink in.

Do hope the other pups pull through for you and sorry about the other that you lost :smashpc:

Sorry that things are still so up in the air. Really hope Lele settles and that the pups are ok.

We have lost the Ruby girl. RIP my little Mia. :thumbsup:

Lele has settled down a bit now with the four currently feeding, she seems to be more relax now that Mia has been removed.

My breeder friend has paid me a visit today and has been on the phone alot. She has been wonderful and very supportive in this distressive time.

Cav I am not too far from you - there's not much I can do to help but feel free to call me anytime. PM me if you need a ph number.

Sorry to hear about the little girl but the fact Mum has relaxed a bit with them is a very good step.

Cavalblaze, so sorry to hear about Mia. :thumbsup: Although LeLe has taken a while to settle maybe it's been a case of "Mother knows best", which hasn't been easy on you. Hope you have a more settled night tonight. :rofl:

Your Lab friend sounds wonderful. Personally speaking I would also contact jerojath as he/she has offered to be a "sounding board" and it's always comforting to have another "ear" when one is going through such distress. :rofl:

T, sorry to hear that Mia didn't make it. Maybe it's like Hesapandabear suggested, and it was a case of mother knows best. Probably not much comfort at the moment though. Hopefully things will improve.

Sorry that things are still so up in the air. Really hope Lele settles and that the pups are ok.

We have lost the Ruby girl. RIP my little Mia. :thumbsup:

Lele has settled down a bit now with the four currently feeding, she seems to be more relax now that Mia has been removed.

My breeder friend has paid me a visit today and has been on the phone alot. She has been wonderful and very supportive in this distressive time.

I'm sorry you lost the little girl but I do feel she was most likely the cause of Lele's distress and unsettled behaviour...I hope things only improve from here on in for you.

Pleased to advise that all puppies are sucking on mum without my assistance and are maintaining weight. They are looking alot stronger and mum has settled.

Current weights:

1st Born : Ruby Girl 220 grms

Blk/tan: 150grms (supplement feeds of 2mls)

Ruby girl:180grms

Ruby boy : 220grms

Understanding that they can still fade but at least for now a positive improvement.

Thankyou to Jerojath for his assistance today.

Glad to hear that Mum & pups are settling and hope that pups continue to gain weight.

I had a litter that came a week early - three live pups from seven. One boy was OK weight wise but the other two were tiny. I tried hand feeding and had them to the vets. The bitch was very unsettled and wouldn't stay in the whelping box with them. Unfortunately the two littlies didn't make it past two days. They were just too small. Once they passed away, the bitch finally relaxed and settled in to enjoy her singleton.

I think they sometimes know a lot more than we do.