Litters Due June 2010

I've decided I'm not weaning for another week.

Keep looking at the tiny tots and thinking it's just too soon. They are all still very interested in mums milk supply and she is rather content still feeding them i will wait till they are 4 weeks before jumping into the weaning process. Might consider some puppy milk at the end of week 3 but hold off on the mince till they are a bit bigger.

Cavalblaze - I don't wean until the pups seem like they are not getting enough off mum or she is getting tired of feeding them. If she still has a good supply, would let them go until 4 weeks. I started weaning one litter around 3-4 weeks and then the bitch showed sygns of not being well, the vet told me to put the pups back on her and she was fine again. Think I finally started weaning around 5 weeks.

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry that I have not been in touch I thought I would update you all ....... we took our bitch back to the vets on day 35 and it was negative, we were really fed up!! :idea:

she is now day 56 and when grooming her today commented on what an excellent phantom she is having ...... anyway something told me things were not right so i managed to get a scan arranged at a local farmers for this afternoon and guess what ..... she is in whelp !!!!!

Panic now as we have treated her as non pregnant and now she is 8 weeks. Heart beats were seen so pups are OK I guess they may just be small?

So the moral of this tale ... science can be wrong and we should trust our gut instincts

Congatulations on all your wonderfull puppies adn we should be joining you next weekend :laugh:

We didn't ultrasound Jess so we have no idea how many she is carrying.

Yes I am curious but we are going to wait for nature to take its course.

Newfiesrus, CONGRATS on your bitch.

Sorry to hear of the little pups passing over the Rainbow bridge. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

BB

Sorry that I have not been in touch I thought I would update you all ....... we took our bitch back to the vets on day 35 and it was negative, we were really fed up!! :D

she is now day 56 and when grooming her today commented on what an excellent phantom she is having ...... anyway something told me things were not right so i managed to get a scan arranged at a local farmers for this afternoon and guess what ..... she is in whelp !!!!!

Panic now as we have treated her as non pregnant and now she is 8 weeks. Heart beats were seen so pups are OK I guess they may just be small?

So the moral of this tale ... science can be wrong and we should trust our gut instincts

Congatulations on all your wonderfull puppies adn we should be joining you next weekend :rofl:

newfiesrus do not painic, think how many strays have inadequate diet and the pups are fine.

I suggest just give her lots of good food and extra over the rest of her pregnancy and lactation.

EFTypos. :o

Edited by Bilbo Baggins

Just back from the Vet, after taking Ochre in for her x-ray...

She had 2 x-rays and both showed she has 6 little 'buns in the oven' :rofl:

She is day 56 today, and I have been told that Basenjis may/can go closer to day 60 than 63... When should I start to take her temp ???

NOW, rajacadoo, :D as mentioned earlier Bree, maiden, whelped day 60 from slip tie, owner of stud dog said go from first full tie, glad we didn't :rofl:

Bree's temp on day 59 was 37.5 in the morning, 36.8 midday and 37.3 evening. Didn't have too bad a night, she got me up twice for a piddle, by 5.00am on day 60 she was panting heavily and starting to shake.

Better safe than sorry. :o

My last litter was whelped on Day 59, maiden bitch and she'd been progesterone tested at mating time so we knew due date was in fact 4 days later...

Agree with Hesa - better to be safe than sorry, I'd start temp taking now to get a good feel for her norm :)

:rofl: Rajacadoo, it may fluctuate a little, hope you have the whelping box and all necessities ready, including heaps of "things" to keep you awake be it coffee, tea, etc and of course a computer nearby to keep us posted. :)

Has anyone heard from Cass06, there was to have been a litter of Chinese cresteds. :eek:

newfiesrus so pleased we have heard from and also that you have good news. :eek: I was a little worried about you for a while because your last scan was negative and we hadnt heard the results of the 7 June scan. ;) I would start feeding her up, quality puppy biscuits, meat, I prefer to use cheese and yoghurt than other supplements and no calcium until after the event. Thats the extent of my knowledge, and there are far more experienced people here to give you advice, except to say I agree with BB - think about the number of strays and BYB dogs :thumbsup: that are half starved and still manage to produce strong healthy whelps.

Our girls pups were small for Labs they are coming along in leaps and bounds now :o - you may want to be prepared to supplement them with some Wambaroo or similar if they are really small.

Rajacadoo I agree with the others, start temp taking now. :(

Our girls temp went down to 37.4 on the Sunday and stayed there until Tuesday morning when it was 37.1. I came home from work at 4pm, she had just started the panting thing when I got home, first contraction at 6:15pm, first pup at 7:10pm - 7 pups all over done and dusted by 10:26pm. ;) :)

She was a maiden, 3 days early and never missed a meal - looked twice at a bone on the Sunday night and that was it.

But good luck to both of you and we will be waiting for lots of news and piccies. :rofl:

Yep the whelping box is 'nearly' ready... Do you think that is good enough :) ... Mr Rajacadoo is starting night duty tonight, so nothing at all will be done on it till Thursday pm... I have told Ochre that she isnt to do ANYTHING at all till after he has finished his night duty... Of course she nodded in agreement, then turned around and laughed at me :rofl: ... I dont get it !!!

Yep got most of the stocks for me ready to go, just a shame Im so puter illiterate that I havent got a clue how to do the pics, so that they will have to wait. Will update as the L>>>O>>>N>>>G night wears on... Pretty positive she will deliver at night :eek: ...

Yep the whelping box is 'nearly' ready... Do you think that is good enough :) ... Mr Rajacadoo is starting night duty tonight, so nothing at all will be done on it till Thursday pm... I have told Ochre that she isnt to do ANYTHING at all till after he has finished his night duty... Of course she nodded in agreement, then turned around and laughed at me :rofl: ... I dont get it !!!

Yep got most of the stocks for me ready to go, just a shame Im so puter illiterate that I havent got a clue how to do the pics, so that they will have to wait. Will update as the L>>>O>>>N>>>G night wears on... Pretty positive she will deliver at night :eek: ...

Find a large cardboard box and cut the bottom and top out of it, line it with newspaper. You really only need the sides. You will be with her when she whelps so you can survive at least the whelping without a pigrail.

:rofl: Rajacadoo, it may fluctuate a little, hope you have the whelping box and all necessities ready, including heaps of "things" to keep you awake be it coffee, tea, etc and of course a computer nearby to keep us posted. :)

Has anyone heard from Cass06, there was to have been a litter of Chinese cresteds. :eek:

Yes she had one girl...

Sorry that I have not been in touch I thought I would update you all ....... we took our bitch back to the vets on day 35 and it was negative, we were really fed up!! :rofl:

Congatulations on all your wonderfull puppies adn we should be joining you next weekend :laugh:

Congratulations Newfiesrus, that is quite a story! Did they ultrasound or blood test at day 35 out of interest.

Just back from the Vet, after taking Ochre in for her x-ray...

She had 2 x-rays and both showed she has 6 little 'buns in the oven' :laugh:

She is day 56 today, and I have been told that Basenjis may/can go closer to day 60 than 63... When should I start to take her temp ???

The ultrasounds aren't too reliable on numbers hey! I would expect her to go early carrying 6. My girl had hers 4 days early - I went to bed and she snuggled up next to my legs and contracted straight away. Lights went back on and by 3pm in the morning I had 5 beautiful babies. Luckily she was happy to use the whelping box in the walk in robe and not the bed. All the best.

Thanks Chocolate :)

I was just thinking about going to bed, and cos Richard is doing night duty, someone, (dog I mean :D ), always comes to bed with me on those nights ;) ... Now I think Im too scared to go, in case she decides to go tonight, and do what your girl has done ;) ...

Have your girls presented you with your litters yet ??? Im guessing that one of them just delivered this litter you are talking about ???

I just took Ochres temp again, just before we go to bed, and she is now 36.9, is it time to start panicing yet :D :laugh: ;) ;) ...

Sorry that I have not been in touch I thought I would update you all ....... we took our bitch back to the vets on day 35 and it was negative, we were really fed up!! :D

Congratulations Newfiesrus, that is quite a story! Did they ultrasound or blood test at day 35 out of interest.

We had her ultrasounded[/size]