Car Harness

kelpiekaye

I got my girl a harness that clips into the seatbelt today. Ruby dosnt get put on a lead very often as we are on a farm and dont get alot of time so she tends to pull a fair bit on a collar. Well I took her with me today for a bit of town experience, we went into this doggy shop and tried on the harness, it fitted so we left it on. It has a place to attach a lead so off we went and she didnt pull at all, it was AMAZING. Will it last? Has anyone else found a harness better for walking your dog? Just wondering........

It may last, if you never, ever let her get anywhere on a tight leash while in harness.

All voluntary behaviour works like this:

Antecedent > Behaviour > Consequence

...right now the harness is not a cue to pull and there is no reinforcing consequence for pulling attached to it.

Where does the lead clip on? you can get harnesses that clip onto the front of the harness (on the dogs chest) the dogs cant pull with these on because it just turns them to the side, there are also harnesses that clip onto the dogs back which actually encourages pulling because all the pressure is on their chest area, not causing them much (if any) discomfort, if you have one that clips onto her back Im guessing the reason she didnt pull was because its new to her, she will work out that she can pull with it on

It may last, if you never, ever let her get anywhere on a tight leash while in harness.

...right now the harness is not a cue to pull and there is no reinforcing consequence for pulling attached to it.

Right. I think I need to get my dictionary out. Antecedent - a preceding thing or circumstance. Its great to learn something everyday, in my case lots of things. Thanks, I think I know what you mean. I will give it my best shot of not letting her get anywhere on a tight leash while in harness. Cheers

Where does the lead clip on? you can get harnesses that clip onto the front of the harness (on the dogs chest) the dogs cant pull with these on because it just turns them to the side, there are also harnesses that clip onto the dogs back which actually encourages pulling because all the pressure is on their chest area, not causing them much (if any) discomfort, if you have one that clips onto her back Im guessing the reason she didnt pull was because its new to her, she will work out that she can pull with it on

Yep it clips onto her back so you may be right about it being new, time will tell.

Right. I think I need to get my dictionary out. Antecedent - a preceding thing or circumstance. Its great to learn something everyday, in my case lots of things. Thanks, I think I know what you mean. I will give it my best shot of not letting her get anywhere on a tight leash while in harness. Cheers

Haha, well you got full marks!

Haha, well you got full marks!

:(

We have used it along with the choke chain (lead clips through both the choke chain and harness ring) - harness stops the choke chain from getting tight and makes it harder to pull and choke chain stop sher getting her head down to pull.

Very effective if something like a cat runs in front of her and we need something to stop her - also effective in stopping her pulling.

With only the choke chain she will pull til its tight and happily try to choke. With only harness she will get her head down and pull HARD but together it worked to stop both happening.

Edited by rubiton

We have used it along with the choke chain (lead clips through both the choke chain and harness ring) - harness stops the choke chain from getting tight and makes it harder to pull and choke chain stop sher getting her head down to pull.

Very effective if something like a cat runs in front of her and we need something to stop her - also effective in stopping her pulling.

With only the choke chain she will pull til its tight and happily try to choke. With only harness she will get her head down and pull HARD but together it worked to stop both happening.

Interesting. I dont really like choke chains but do have one. Really I should make time and teach her not to pull. She is only 15kgs and I am capable of training her but the more dogs I have owned the more relaxed I seem to get. She works the stock well and I have good control of her off the lead so I should get my act together :laugh: