Cane Toads In Sutherland Shire, Sydney

corvus

In case there is anyone living in the eastern Sutherland Shire, there's an ongoing Cane Toad problem down at Taren Point. Last I heard they were getting a few reports from residents of Taren Point and Caringbah of Cane Toads each week. Someone nearly lost their cat to one. It is not known if they are breeding. Apparently they are coming in on car parts from QLD.

We haven't seen any here in the suburbs immediately around Sutherland. At the moment it looks like they haven't got further than Caringbah. It has been going on for a while. I don't think much is being done about it. NPWS would know. Unfortunately NPWS are too busy handing out parking tickets in the Royal. :)

I would say if you're in the area look for toad eggs. I think everyone would get off their butts if it was found the toads were breeding. It's considered a bit cool for them down here, though.

Just bumping this with a little update.

Although it is still not confirmed, it looks as though they did breed this season. All evidence points to it being very likely. There is a rumour they might be in the Royal, but it is not confirmed. The local council has been very good about it, doing letterbox drops and sending people out to collect toads. The public are asked not to kill any toads, but to call someone either at the council or NPWS to come and collect them for a positive ID and so forth.

There's not much that can be done in winter, but the hope is the cold months will give everyone a chance to convince the landowners where the likely breeding site is to allow people on their land to see just what the heck is going on and probably trap toads at the breeding pond. It will be interesting to see how this pans out. Sydney is not the ideal climate for toads and I think there's a fair chance of taking care of this before it gets out of control. Here's hoping.

It just seems to be a night time thing, I dont let my dogs out unsupervised at night, you also need to make sure you either change their drinking water every morning, or raise it up so toads dont swim in it at night because they poison the water

They'd want to get onto it fast, and pull out no stops on all control measurs if they are able to breed and survive so far south.

The best thing you can do if you can is train the dog to 'leave it alone' and ignore them.

The cold doesn't stop them. They just end up sleeping for a very long time. Hopefully it will slow them down enough that you can do something about it.

Make sure there is no standing water within reach. Also if you have anything laying in your yard (old tarps/logs/concrete blocks/bricks/potted plant etc) make sure you clean them up or check under them as they are favourite hiding places during the day time.

Damn, its going to be hard for the cat, as she's outside in her run day and night - and theres lots of hiding spots in there, so my best option is to keep them out.

The only ones I've seen are big - but Im guessing the younger ones are smaller?

The gaps in the steel of the run are about 8cm X 5cm - would they get through that?

Even the big ones can fit into gaps you wouldn't imagine. They are also excellent diggers.

If you're serious about preventing them from coming in, dig a trench about 20cm deep and run wire or plastic mesh in it as a barrier (obviously make sure that the top of the mesh meets flush with the existing enclosure.)

The best thing you can do is turn the lights on and head outside every night and dispose of them. Over time you will get less and less of them or you will stop their progress in it's tracks.

They like the lights being on and they like short grass. It makes it easy to pick them off.

Also don't expect to whack them with a golf club and kill them. They can have their guts hanging out and be flattened but after you leave they will roll over, suck it all in and jump away. You really do need to bag, freeze and bin them.

Also don't expect to whack them with a golf club and kill them. They can have their guts hanging out and be flattened but after you leave they will roll over, suck it all in and jump away. You really do need to bag, freeze and bin them.

Ugh! It is disgusting. Cool to watch though ;)

Their guts have to come out of their rear end for them to die.

I use dettol on mine, PineOclean is supposed to be just as good and cheaper..plus it smells better

And before anybody says anything I dont care if it burns them, if my dogs grab one they will die a worse death, and there is no way Im catching them and sticking them in my freezer, they scare the crap out of me, the closest I get is the other end of the shovel

Im not so worried about them in yard, just not in the cat run, where the cat is nearly 24/7.

I guess when it gets to that point round here I'll put chicken wire round the existing wire.

I hate the bloody things and I've only been around them for a week (A camping holiday in Ballina). There was hardly any lighting in the camp ground and you never knew what you were going to step on!