Is It Now A Waiting Game!

iggy mum

What to do?

The little female min pin x chi dog I rescued from Blacktown Pound on 6/3/10 was listed on the pound site as not desexed. The NSW Companion Animals Register - Certificate of Identification I was given states that the desexed status is unknown. There is no ear tattoo either. Today I have finally found out that her microchip is registered with PetSafe. Whilst talking on the phone with the lady from PetSafe, I asked her whether the dog is listed as spayed or not. She says the dog is listed as desexed. Who do I believe? I was going to have her spayed soon but don't want her to have an unnecessary operation if the desexing is already done. How do you find out if a female is spayed or not if there is conflicting records and no tattoo. Is it just a waiting game to see if she comes into season within the next six months? She will be 2 years old in July. Any advice?

Shave and see if there's a scar there?

For some reason, I seem to recall that ultrasound isn't all that reliable at determining whether a bitch is desexed? I think you need to do an exploratory laparotomy to be 100% sure? Can't recall why, sorry, so could be dead wrong.

I think you can also check the LH level, at any point in the cycle? But not sure if that test is available in Oz, or how good it is.

If she is not de sexed she'll come in season and you can go from there.

Does it really matter if you have to wait a few months to find out.

Put any costs of finding out towards the de sexing if she comes in season.

If she is not de sexed she'll come in season and you can go from there.

Does it really matter if you have to wait a few months to find out.

Put any costs of finding out towards the de sexing if she comes in season.

Too true, there is no reason why I can't wait a few months or so as she is mostly an indoor dog anyway and is not at risk of coming into contact with 'boys' lol. That's probably the most certain way to go [and cheapest] unless there may be a reason she doesn't come into season but isn't spayed. Is that possible? She is, as far as I know, a healthy weight, happy and has no medical problems that I am yet aware of.

Are you keeping her or rehoming her?

If you are keeping her, you could wait and see. As long as you know exactly what to look for, and have a safe place to secure her when in season. You could wait as long as 18 months with some bitches.

If you are rehoming her, you should get her ultrasounded, or opened up as a last resort. It is unethical to rehome without a desexing certificate and a vet won't give one to you unless they are sure she has been desexed.

Are you keeping her or rehoming her?

If you are keeping her, you could wait and see. As long as you know exactly what to look for, and have a safe place to secure her when in season. You could wait as long as 18 months with some bitches.

If you are rehoming her, you should get her ultrasounded, or opened up as a last resort. It is unethical to rehome without a desexing certificate and a vet won't give one to you unless they are sure she has been desexed.

Oh no greytmate, she is definitely here to stay. When I said rescued in the first post, in hindsight I probably should've said adopted. I know what bitches look like when in season but am not experienced enough to know whether when a bitch is in good health, if they come into season on a regular basis if undesexed. As I said, she is mostly inside and I have a well fenced/secure back yard. If we are out anywhere else, both dogs are always on-lead. How is it that some bitches may not come into season for up to 18 months? I am pretty sure Peanut hasn't had a litter before, well to my untrained eye it doesn't look like it, but then again, I guess it could be pretty hard to tell. Perhaps the best way is to wait and see. :)

How is it that some bitches may not come into season for up to 18 months?

Some breeds only come into season yearly and some individuals can vary a bit too. Not sure why.

It just occurred to me, could she already have been pregnant when you got her? This is something I would have a think about. Any doubts, go see a vet tomorrow.

Some breeds only come into season yearly and some individuals can vary a bit too. Not sure why.

It just occurred to me, could she already have been pregnant when you got her? This is something I would have a think about. Any doubts, go see a vet tomorrow.

No I don't think so, but as I said earlier, I'm no expert. I've had her for almost six weeks now and her tummy is still trim, taught and terrific. No swelling of tummy or teats that I can tell. Is it possible for them to be pregnant and not notice after six weeks. She was in the pound for at least a week to ten days before I got her out. Mmmm, now you've got me thinking.... If she was pregnant I wouldn't really mind too much, just hope that if that is the case that all goes well. I'm going to visit a friend on the weekend who knows a lot more about canine pregnancies than I do, so I'll get her to check Peanut out, and if in doubt, I'll be off to the vet next week. Thanks for your advice. :)

Shave and see if there's a scar there?

For some reason, I seem to recall that ultrasound isn't all that reliable at determining whether a bitch is desexed? I think you need to do an exploratory laparotomy to be 100% sure? Can't recall why, sorry, so could be dead wrong.

I think you can also check the LH level, at any point in the cycle? But not sure if that test is available in Oz, or how good it is.

My bitch was spayed 3 weeks ago and you cant see a scar already....... I would wait and see if she comes on heat or ultrasound