Question On Pigment?

skyehaven

I have 3 yellow pups in my litter of Flat Coats, I have had yellow before and pigment has gone black between 3-4 weeks old,

one of the pups has not great pigment at this point (5 weeks old), any thoughts on if this would still go black.

Attaching photo's of all 3, 2 with black and the one without.

Greenyellowgirl4w5d.JPG

yellowboy4w5d.JPG

Purplegirl4w5d.JPG

also if someone who ordered pup, didn't want because of this, would you give deposit back, when they picked pup themselves, but now only want a PERFECT pup, they also ordered a black male, and don't want one without the other, I said wouldn't get deposit back for black male, and only for yellow if vet said it was going to be a problem.

Ethical reliable breeders should always give a deposit refund if the pup is not what the client wants.

they picked it. and Black one has perfect pigment. And did say if vet says is a problem they would get money back for yellow pup.

Edited by skyehaven

In my last litter i had one yellow bitch with similar pigment

This is at 5 weeks

DSC00642.jpg

Again at 8 weeks

DSC00719.jpg

The new owners did express some concerns at the 4/5 weeks, mainly about sun cancer and asked me to have the nose tattooed but after much consultation with other Lab breeders and my vet we all agree it was not a necessary to tattoo the nose and all felt the pigment would continue to improve.

I did offer a full refund of the deposit.

As for the return of deposit on the other pup that's really up to you...me i would give them their money back if they are having concerns about the pup then they may never be truly happy, better to have someone want the pup warts and all so to speak.

This is the same pup at 6 months

full pigment

P6142123.jpg

edited to add

they are gorgeous pups skyehaven :)

Edited by Lab lady

In my last litter i had one yellow bitch with similar pigment

This is at 5 weeks

DSC00642.jpg

Again at 8 weeks

DSC00719.jpg

The new owners did express some concerns at the 4/5 weeks, mainly about sun cancer and asked me to have the nose tattooed but after much consultation with other Lab breeders and my vet we all agree it was not a necessary to tattoo the nose and all felt the pigment would continue to improve.

I did offer a full refund of the deposit.

As for the return of deposit on the other pup that's really up to you...me i would give them their money back if they are having concerns about the pup then they may never be truly happy, better to have someone want the pup warts and all so to speak.

This is the same pup at 6 months

full pigment

P6142123.jpg

edited to add

they are gorgeous pups skyehaven :)

Thanks, will let them have money back if they want.

IMO it is better to give them their money back and have them go elsewhere then to have then take a pup they are not happy to have or that they have slight apprehension of taking.

I feel people like that will find fault in a lot more as the pup grows. I have seen this many times over the years with other breeders.

I always tell potential puppy people they will not get to pick a puppy, I will select one that is suitable to them and their lifestyle. If they are not happy for that to happen then please go somewhere else. Works for me for many reasons and all have been happy with their pups.

As posted above the nose pigmentation does usually fill in over time

Edited by Stolzseinrotts

IMO it is better to give them their money back and have them go elsewhere then to have then take a pup they are not happy to have or that they have slight apprehension of taking.

I feel people like that will find fault in a lot more as the pup grows. I have seen this many times over the years with other breeders.

I always tell potential puppy people they will not get to pick a puppy, I will select one that is suitable to them and their lifestyle. If they are not happy for that to happen then please go somewhere else. Works for me for many reasons and all have been happy with their pups.

As posted above the nose pigmentation does usually fill in over time

I just laughed when they said they wanted PERFECT!

I do not take deposits on pups as it causes to many problems.

You pay when you collect your pup or if interstate, I send the pup when the cheque clears.

I take deposits, because of people that pull out, but don't bother to tell me, and have since told others they are all sold. So I tell them, they pay a deposit (if vet check at 6 weeks old reveals a problem with pup they get money back)if pup is healthy but they change their mind it is not refundable.

I have had pups not fully pigmented at 8 - 10 weeks, but they do get full pigment. I wouldn't expect full pigment at 4 - 5 weeks. The last boxer I bought didn't have a fully pigmented nose at 12 weeks, but she did get full pigment.

I am not sure how difficult it is to sell flatcoats, but I would refund both deposits and tell him (nicely) to truck off if pups are not too difficult to sell.

IMHO, EVERY time, the person who wants the "perfect" pup is always disappointed somewhere down the line, and it is ALWAYS the breeders fault.

Then when they break the dog (and this sort of person always does in my experience), it is never their fault. They usually have numpty vets too, and that causes more problems.

I don't take deposits either, and I don't let people come and see the pups until they are 8 weeks+. They can see photos etc before that.

I'd be careful about kelp tablets too - the methonine in kelp should help the pigment, but it is possible to overdose on iodine, which can cause problems with thyroid function. It will probably be ok (and if BB has been using with without problems, it should be). I have never used kelp on pups, and never had a problem with pigment. It is possible to purchase methonine, although a bit difficult, and this would be safer, I think, if you must do someting. At that age, I would be surprised if the pup wasn't fully pigmented in time. May just take longer than the others.

I have had pups not fully pigmented at 8 - 10 weeks, but they do get full pigment. I wouldn't expect full pigment at 4 - 5 weeks. The last boxer I bought didn't have a fully pigmented nose at 12 weeks, but she did get full pigment.

I am not sure how difficult it is to sell flatcoats, but I would refund both deposits and tell him (nicely) to truck off if pups are not too difficult to sell.

IMHO, EVERY time, the person who wants the "perfect" pup is always disappointed somewhere down the line, and it is ALWAYS the breeders fault.

Then when they break the dog (and this sort of person always does in my experience), it is never their fault. They usually have numpty vets too, and that causes more problems.

I don't take deposits either, and I don't let people come and see the pups until they are 8 weeks+. They can see photos etc before that.

I'd be careful about kelp tablets too - the methonine in kelp should help the pigment, but it is possible to overdose on iodine, which can cause problems with thyroid function. It will probably be ok (and if BB has been using with without problems, it should be). I have never used kelp on pups, and never had a problem with pigment. It is possible to purchase methonine, although a bit difficult, and this would be safer, I think, if you must do someting. At that age, I would be surprised if the pup wasn't fully pigmented in time. May just take longer than the others.

Thanks, would be able to sell again tomorrow had 10 left over orders, so that won't be a problem at all, told them they have until weekend to decide if they want them, and I think pigment will be fine, but won't guarantee it, as you say they may be more trouble than worth if want PERFECTION, gee I keep the best ones and haven't seen a pup yet! They suggested going onto next list but i said already 8 people on list, so they wouldn't be near the top, so they won't get anything Perfect then either.

gee i never knew they came in anythign except black.

Amstaff puppies and liver dalmatians can lack pigment on nose and can colour up all the way to 6 mths, i would only expect a big patch to not colour.