Question About A Dog I Saw

Bubitty

Heheeh supermic I must admit I was very awed by how gorgeous she/he was! Plus it was great for my puppy to meet this calm giant dog that was completely chilled and non threatening.

What are they like to live with? Active? Are they cuddly or aloof?

You should meet Cody (new neighbours mal!). She is the most sweetest, loving, smoochiest and cuddliest Malamute I've ever met. She is HUGE!!! Charlie walks under her no problems.

I fell in love her at sight. Didn't matter that she scared the heck out of me when I was jogging home and she decided she wanted to come jogging with me! We jogged the block together, then I took her home.. :laugh:

People used to go to our vet's, with their 2 malamutes (around same age). One of them was huge...& would fit the description Bub gave. The other was smaller & not as fluffy.

The big fella was a darling.....always smiling, very friendly & without a mean bone in his body. His owners told us he was teased mercilessly by the little cat next door!

The smaller one had a more reserved nature.

I used to know a guy with a massive Mal. He wasn't a very big guy. I have a vivid memory of this Mal inside suddenly spotting pizza on the table and walking over to it with two people hanging off him trying to stop him. :laugh: Luckily he was well-trained and stopped short of wolfing it down. :)

I saw a dog once that looked like a giant Lappie up in the Blue Mountains. Still have no idea what he was. Looked exactly like one of the darker black and tan lappies, only about GSD sized. The right ears, curly tail, pointy nose, the works. A clever lappie look-alike.

sounds like you saw a breed known as thebestsuperdogintheworld also known as the waybetterthananyotherdog or in some circles it gets shortend to alaskan malamute lol .... ill never own another breed thats for sure.

Like Supermic said, i too would never own another breed. I have 2 myslf, Bourbon is 10months (with standard coat) while, Twilight is 15months (shes a wooly/softcoat).. From the pic below, u can see the difference in coat texture :) .. Bourbon is at 38.2kg at the moment and still growing! while Twilight is only at 29.9kg..although i think she wont be growing much bigger lol!

Twilight would require double the grooming as compared to Bourbon..From bath to shampoo to brushing!I brush her at least twice a day to prevent any matted hair, she has to be blow-dry, hair to parted sections by sections n the list goes on....i always advice my friends, Yes they look gorgeous but DONT get a wooly mal, if u dont have the time n patience to groom!

i wont have twilight in any other way though :laugh:

DSCF4881-Copy.jpg

Edited by tivins

Oh yeh there are some big mals around, I have seen a few like that, they are like Mastiffs. I remember one at the dog park in Haberfield. It was the biggest dog there. I remember one day, my boy was laying down not taking any notice of anyone, and this mal walked nearby. The expression on my dogs face when he saw him was priceless. He was like "WTF !!??" :)

My parents have a mal called Mali. He is the cuddliest boy, and quite large. He always tries to get on my lap when I visit, and constantly wants cuddles. This is a problem when I have my dog with me, because he pushes Harry away from me and wants all my attention himself. Their previous mal, Max, was a bit taller, but both boys are/were very solid. Having had a great dane myself, I didn't see them both as huge, but now having a greyhound, he looks tiny next to Mali.

Harry the greyhound is taller, but Mali is very big chested and solid. He's 3 now, and no idea if he will fill out more as he's a rescue. Don't know anything about his breeding, but he is good natured and very smoochy, although a bit possessive of his toys and food. Certainly a very strong willed and determined boy, but my parents are teaching him well. I love him to bits, but, realistically, not a breed for me.