Oodle Story

BooBooBear

Yesterday I was at the park and a lady was there with her Labrador x Poodle and she proceeded to tell me all about him and where he came from etc.

He is 2 and has been 'bred' from twice (he's a cross already) and his puppies are $2000.00 each :laugh::wave: :D She said oh the breeder is amazing and she only has about 4-5 litters a year. She said her dog was a prize winning 'labradoodle' (using that word reluctantly) because of his chocolate colouring and goodness knows what else!!!

Hmmmm could you imagine paying $2000.00 for a 1/4 cross whatever? ;) :D

Sigh.....I didn't say anything as I didn't want to begin an argument etc as she obviously believes that her 'breed' is superior and very expensive.

and you know what the funniest thing is - I was there with my beautiful handsome Humphrey (all 4 months of Golden Retriever jumping joy) and she never asked me a question about him or his breeding :wave: :D

We have a staffy x lab at home too and she's perfect but she's a crossbreed and I would never say otherwise and I love her just as much! She cost $30.00 we call her the 30 buck pup :D :laugh: and she's 14 now ;) I think we got a bargain :D

lol, I woldnt have been able to help myself and asked what he had won too, them proceeded to tell her about my import and his pups from a gr ch bitch and they still cost far less to buy and are health tested as well then her oodle x bred..lol Im a bitch though... ;)

From the forum rules ;)

We also ask that you refrain from unnecessary designer dog discussion. (ie discussion that has no real purpose other than to express dismay at the latest 'cross breed' you saw (or read about)). Sure, we all know they are out there, but we prefer to concentrate on discussing the pure bred dog (ANKC recognised breeds).

In defense . . . many of our breeds were cross breeds at one time. I get oodles of oodles in kennels. Some of them are LOVELY dogs -- and some are disasters. If the best of 'em could be settled into type would be a great breed. Have a chocolate standard poodle Labradoodle in at the moment who moves beautifully, has great bone, and has super skill relating to both people and other dogs. Not a gutser like many (most) Labradors. Not as aloof as some poodles.

I don't think breed is a museum piece. DD's for profit with no attention to health, etc. is a problem. But there has to be a way for new breeds to emerge to suit the changing needs of changing times.

Edited by sandgrubber

In defense . . . many of our breeds were cross breeds at one time. I get oodles of oodles in kennels. Some of them are LOVELY dogs, and if they could be settled into type would be a great breed. Have a chocolate standard poodle Labradoodle in at the moment who moves beautifully, has great bone, and has super skill relating to both people and other dogs. Not a gutser like many (most) Labradors. Not as aloof as some poodles.

I don't think breed is a museum piece. DD's for profit with no attention to health, etc. can be a problem. But there has to be a way for new breeds to emerge to suit the changing needs of changing times.

Sure won't be done with F1 crossbreds though. ;) And you have to define type before you can settle it. With the current "Labradoodle standard" you can have pretty much anything in terms of height and coat.

At least one "Standard Labradoodle" shipped west was PTS aged under 5 from severe HD. Her owner was on here for a time.

The post was about a quarter cross, by definition, an F2 hybrid. It's fine with me if the Labradoodle ends out a breed. There are great things about Labs and great things about poodles. It's going to take more than F1 to end out with a stable variety/breed/whatever. I, personally, have no objection to the concept of a labradoodle or a spoodle. I object if inferior dogs are mated to inferior bitches in the hope that 'hybrid vigor' will take care of deficiencies in sire and dam.

But I think new breeds should be allowed to evolved as suits the social circumstances of the day.

In defense . . . many of our breeds were cross breeds at one time. I get oodles of oodles in kennels. Some of them are LOVELY dogs, and if they could be settled into type would be a great breed. Have a chocolate standard poodle Labradoodle in at the moment who moves beautifully, has great bone, and has super skill relating to both people and other dogs. Not a gutser like many (most) Labradors. Not as aloof as some poodles.

I don't think breed is a museum piece. DD's for profit with no attention to health, etc. can be a problem. But there has to be a way for new breeds to emerge to suit the changing needs of changing times.

Sure won't be done with F1 crossbreds though. :laugh: And you have to define type before you can settle it. With the current "Labradoodle standard" you can have pretty much anything in terms of height and coat.

At least one "Standard Labradoodle" shipped west was PTS aged under 5 from severe HD. Her owner was on here for a time.

Edited by sandgrubber

Oh that's a shame. I would have highly recommended that she share her pride on DOL. :laugh: She could benefit from an education (post-flame) and lessen the risk of sharing the idea about the breedability of an 'oodle' with other equally bright bulbs in the bunch.

Sigh.....I didn't say anything as I didn't want to begin an argument etc as she obviously believes that her 'breed' is superior and very expensive.
Edited by Ms Genki