Tongue Flicking/licking The Air

corvus

I've heard tongue flicking described as an appeasement gesture or calming signal, and I also know that in one scientific study at least it was used as an indication of stress. I guess that these interpretations are correct in the right context, but I have a different context I'm seeing this in. Erik tongue flicks when he is getting a massage or a rub. OH keeps asking me if that means he's stressed. I think that highly unlikely because he obviously loves the attention and seeks it out. To me it looks like it goes along with him calming himself down. He often yawns before he goes to the tongue flicking. I've seen a lot of calming signals used in similar situations that look like they mean much the same thing to me. Kind of like when we take a deep breath to slow our breathing down and relax.

How do you interpret tongue flicking?

In that context, I think it is exactly the same as the reflex that causes them to kick their hind leg when you're hitting an itchy spot. My girl often licks the air when I tickle the right spot. It's not a communication, IMO, just the way her wee brain is wired up.

Reminds me of my little Aussie terrier I had growing up. She had what I called the "yawn spot" If I scratched her on the back of her neck it would make her constantly yawn. Was a cool party trick!

Reflex, eh? That makes sense. OH wants to know why he seems to have a positive need to lick something, preferably our skin, when he's having a cuddle. He's been postulating that skin tastes good. ;) :D

Reflex, eh? That makes sense. OH wants to know why he seems to have a positive need to lick something, preferably our skin, when he's having a cuddle. He's been postulating that skin tastes good. ;) :D

Their way of showing affection?

I recently read in Paul McGreevey's book "A Modern Dog's Life" that tongue flicking can also be the dog activating some glands in his mouth/throat to do with smelling. I can't remember exactly which glands - but I'll grab the book tonight and re-read that bit and edit this post with the correct info.

I recently read in Paul McGreevey's book "A Modern Dog's Life" that tongue flicking can also be the dog activating some glands in his mouth/throat to do with smelling. I can't remember exactly which glands - but I'll grab the book tonight and re-read that bit and edit this post with the correct info.

Kinda like tigers do?

I think you're thinking of the vomeronasal organ? The dog's "other" smell system that processes smells to do (mostly) with sex.

My old boy used to do this when he smelled the urine of on heat, or almost on heat, bitches - get an intense, far away look in his eyes, flick his tongue, and chatter his teeth. ;)

I don't think that would be going on here, though.

Reminds me of my little Aussie terrier I had growing up. She had what I called the "yawn spot" If I scratched her on the back of her neck it would make her constantly yawn. Was a cool party trick!

Not exactly the same, but simmilar enough

Not exactly the same, but simmilar enough

There must be something with Dobes. Years ago, when I was a Vet Nurse, we had 2 patients that came in that did a similar thing Mon. They were both Dobes and when the owners scratched them on the side of their face their snouts would twist to the side. ;) It was hilarious to watch. I thought they were unique until I just saw Divani (was it the Diva??) on that clip.

Jessie yawns and flicks her tongue when you tickle her back feet inbetween the pads of the foot my other stafford used to do this too wonder if its just a weird staffy thing or a dog thing in general ;)

There must be something with Dobes. Years ago, when I was a Vet Nurse, we had 2 patients that came in that did a similar thing Mon. They were both Dobes and when the owners scratched them on the side of their face their snouts would twist to the side. ;) It was hilarious to watch. I thought they were unique until I just saw Divani (was it the Diva??) on that clip.

Divnis grandfaterh Thunder does this as well, but my Rex and Furia dont. Actually must try Furia again, but she never stands still long enough :D

Our little JRT Sniffy is a licker. Drives us mad, she will come flying up and jump on our lap and start licking the air like crazy usually in the direction of our mouth. Its so annoying and when we growl at her to stop I think it makes it worse. I see her behaviour as a submissive thing, as she often averts her eyes whilst doing it and then will often lie on her back when we growl at her to stop.

Hmm, well if it can be a reflex thing in similar situations, but also a sign of stress or an appeasment gesture in other contexts, maybe she licks the air as a reflex and when you growl at her she does it more as appeasment/calming signal?

Licking used to drive me nuts, and I taught my last dog a "don't lick" cue, but Erik somehow makes it less annoying. Slightly. When he gets a bit intense about his licking we encourage him to do one of those flip-flops onto his back he does to get a belly rub. At least then he's facing away from us so he has to make do with licking the air. He does flip-flops right off your lap sometimes. I've had to catch him before!