Back Drops For Inside Photography

RottnBullies

Just wondering what people use or can use as back drops for photos taken Inside :laugh:

atm I'm using an old sheet, but I can't be bothered Ironing It, then I have to spend hours on PS to smooth out the creases, and It got me thinking there must be an easier way! :laugh:

Any tips will be greatly appreciated

Paper can be a good one, but won't last of course - many a professional photographer uses rolls of paper for backdrops and then you cut off the cruddy dirty bits. If shooting indoors it is the lighting that is the hardest thing to get right. To stop creases in fabric you could use a PVC pipe to roll the fabric on.

In these photos, the blue backdrop is a rather large sheet of paper. For Bella's photo it was just stuck to a wall, but I was doing a litter of pups so had to have something a little hardier and for the pup photos stuck the paper to foamboard. The photo with white is on foamboard.

I did get some upholstery facbric once but then decided I didnt like it and never used it

4510122039_1c9f2a4ac7.jpg

4446509384_19f422efb1_o.jpg

4509840713_d8bd1d6ee8.jpg

Edited by helen

I never thought about using paper! What a great idea. I use sheets too but with the white sheets, they always have creases in them. I can get the creases out of the black fabric by bringing up the black levels but the white takes forever!

I can see a shot of Zero on white and a shot of Mow on a pastel colour coming on....

Don't know about the posters above but if we are using the paper rolls they are the specific photo backdrop papers that you buy from professional photography stockists. Haven't bought one for years but they are around $150 for an 8 meter roll (give or take a few dollars).

Yes "the real thing" does not come cheap. I can't go near Lincraft or Spotlight without checking out the fabric departments. There is always something on special that you think yes-no-maybe and end up taking a few metres home to try out. It doesn't take long to build up a shelf full of okay backdrops for little expense. Steer away from anything too synthetic or shiny/reflective (polar fleece is synthetic but non-reflective, and washes/dries quickly).

Cotton linen mixes in soft marbled colours look very "studio" as a change from plain colour. Denim good for an informal look. Two minutes with an iron is quicker than half an hour with Photoshop. Cheap shed tripods from Bunnings are good for makeshift backdrop holders: staple the fabric to a curtain rod or like Helen said PVC pipe.

And google strobist for some tips on lighting to make the backdrops work better for you.

Yes "the real thing" does not come cheap. I can't go near Lincraft or Spotlight without checking out the fabric departments. There is always something on special that you think yes-no-maybe and end up taking a few metres home to try out. It doesn't take long to build up a shelf full of okay backdrops for little expense. Steer away from anything too synthetic or shiny/reflective (polar fleece is synthetic but non-reflective, and washes/dries quickly).

Cotton linen mixes in soft marbled colours look very "studio" as a change from plain colour. Denim good for an informal look. Two minutes with an iron is quicker than half an hour with Photoshop. Cheap shed tripods from Bunnings are good for makeshift backdrop holders: staple the fabric to a curtain rod or like Helen said PVC pipe.

And google strobist for some tips on lighting to make the backdrops work better for you.

Thank you all for the tips :confused:

My girl Is way TOO rough for expensive paper, so I think I'll just stick to fabrics and Iron them :cry:

Is there any other way to have a makeshift holder without stapling? I'm just thinking that would make It harder to wash them

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...