False Pregnancy

Cavalblaze

Our (co-owned) Cavalier is overdue by 5 days.

She is bigger in the abdomen area but not huge.

She has milk, she is nesting and acting rather uncomfortable trying to positioning herself to rest in the whelping box. On palpation around day 40 the stud owner thought she could feel 2 pups but being a maiden bitch it's a bit tricky to tell and she wasn't co-operative either.

We have no ultrasound equippment in her residing area and have let her go naturally as there has been no signs indicating trouble.

She has had no discharge and we are all tapping our foots waiting. We have made a appointment for Thursday with the local vet.

The bitch is 2 years old, 3rd season and first mating. She excepted her stud partner once for a 25 minute tie, afterwards she refuse any further attempts.

My question is, should we be acting sooner for a veterinary consultant? I'm in the frame of mind that this could this well be a phantom/ false pregnancy!

This is my first litter and very I'm concern. I have heard some dogs can go 7 days over and have been told to wait but its killing me!!!

I would personally be going to get an x-ray right now. Over baked can be just as bad as premmie.

Did you do any prog tests for mating, do you know she is 5 days overdue from ovulation or just the mating?

She could have total uterine inertia or she could just have everyone fooled with a phantom......an x-ray or ultrasound is the only thing that is going to give you any answers, but if she is already 5days over due I would not be waiting until Thursday to see the vet.

I would personally be going to get an x-ray right now. Over baked can be just as bad as premmie.

Did you do any prog tests for mating, do you know she is 5 days overdue from ovulation or just the mating?

She could have total uterine inertia or she could just have everyone fooled with a phantom......an x-ray or ultrasound is the only thing that is going to give you any answers, but if she is already 5days over due I would not be waiting until Thursday to see the vet.

I agree with this.

I have a bitch that had UI (twice) - call the vet now and tell them where your at now - don't delay.

If in doubt go to the vet is the best advice I can give.

I don't know how many times I have called and said this is probably a stupid question - but - and not once did they make me feel like it was.

Good luck..

I agree with TnC not to mention any decent vet could palpate and have some idea if there is a puppy present.

She needs to be checked by a vet if she hasn't been already...

Glad you agree with my initial thoughts. I have requested the co-owner take her in to see the vets ASAP. I didn't want to come accross as a panic freak which is why i posted this discussion.

Her whelping due date was calculated from her mating date.

I would at this stage say that she has NOT made a effort to strain and even look like going into whelp. Uterine inertia is a possibility but i would imagion we should of witness a sign of being lethagic or being exstremely uncomfortable but at present she is eating, drinking and besides being not able to jump up onto her favourite chair she is walking around and rather happy. She does toss and turn a bit to get comfortable for the night but in all she isn't in any pain.

She isn't large, I'm not expecting a big litter as she is nothing like what i've seen other dogs of the same breed look like at full term. She is slightly rounder than usual but you would question yourself in thinking has she just put on weight.

Maybe she has fooled all of us or I might get a suprise!

Update:

It is a Phantom..... ;)

We are looking at trying again but this time getting all test done including prog, bloods and xray.

If it fails then she will be desex.

Should note that parvo has been very active in the area and the vets have been advising her co-owner to try and avoid un-nessacary contact with the clinic regardless of the fact she is up to date with vaccinations.

+ 1

Another possibility is that she was mated early and it took. . . she is prego but not five days overdue.

I agree with others about seeing the vet. But the situation may not be dire.

+ 1

Edited by sandgrubber

Update:

It is a Phantom..... :laugh:

We are looking at trying again but this time getting all test done including prog, bloods and xray.

If it fails then she will be desex.

Should note that parvo has been very active in the area and the vets have been advising her co-owner to try and avoid un-nessacary contact with the clinic regardless of the fact she is up to date with vaccinations.

Oh that's a shame.

Best wishes for next time. If you try doing prog tests when she next comes into season you will know the best time to mate her and increase your odds at getting a litter, you will also be able to calculate her exact due date from ovulation.

I can sympathise with you at the moment, I went back for a 2nd ultrasound on one of my girls today as I had a sneaking suspicion she may have had one or two hiding in there.......no such luck I'm afraid, she's empty :)