Calming Down After First Heat

So, my pup has just finished her first heat a few weeks ago. Ever since, she's been much calmer and cuddlier than before her heat (relatively speaking - she is a malinois after all!)

Is it normal for an entire female dog to "settle down" after her first heat? Will her temperament stay like this, or will she be back to her crazy self when dioestrus finishes & she goes into anoestrus again?

A lot of bitches become quieter after a season, it's caused by the release of the calming hormones produced during pregnancy. Even though she hasn't been mated her body still 'thinks' she's in whelp and is releasing the appropriate hormones. One of my bitches wasn't able to be shown following a season, she didn't even want to run round the ring. They usually return to normal after about 10 weeks.

A lot of bitches become quieter after a season, it's caused by the release of the calming hormones produced during pregnancy. Even though she hasn't been mated her body still 'thinks' she's in whelp and is releasing the appropriate hormones. One of my bitches wasn't able to be shown following a season, she didn't even want to run round the ring. They usually return to normal after about 10 weeks.

Thanks Miranda. Is it a progestrone thing then? Pretty sure dogs make progesterone from the corpora lutea through diestrus even though they aren't pregnant, right?

She's still working OK, so I guess it will be nice to have 20 weeks of cuddle puppy every year. :laugh:

Yep... I can always predict when my girl is coming into season because she becomes really cuddly and she's a lot calmer when we're training though I'm kinda liking it for a few precision behaviours!!!

Edited by TerraNik

Thanks Miranda. Is it a progestrone thing then? Pretty sure dogs make progesterone from the corpora lutea through diestrus even though they aren't pregnant, right?

Yes you are correct. The corpus luteum produces progesterone and also inhibin, a hormone which sends a signal to the pituitary gland when it's time to decrease production of the follicular stimulating hormone and the luteal hormone eventually bringing an end to standing heat, the period during which a bitch will accept a male.

My Lab settled down hugely after her first season at 9 months. Not only was she more affectionate and sooky while in season (which is weird for her! she likes her space), she turned into a well behaved young lady. Craziness slowly crept back though :laugh: But on the whole, she was much calmer. Any future females I have I will be letting them have one or two seasons for this reason. Both my girls are desexed now.