Would You Buy From A Petstore?

Guest acb123

QUOTE (LizT @ 11th Apr 2010 - 04:20 PM)

It was suggested to me recently, and I do find this point of view interesting.... that.... Pounds and Rescue groups contribute to the perpetuation of unwanted pets by finding homes for the 'rejects' and therefore increasing the demand and lessening the guilt by rehoming rather than destroying unwanted animals and lessening the effect of the statistics of unwanted and destroyed pets?

I find this bizarre and warped logic and shudder to think of the mountains of corpses there would be were rescue not working such wonders.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hate the sale of live animals in pet shops and dont support puppy farms, but how the hell would registered breeders support the demand for dogs in todays society? Become puppy farms themselves?

Whats the solution?

Breeders should be encouraging more people to become registered breeders.

How does that help? Being Registered doesn't mean you're good oe have a clue at what you're doing or keep your dogs in any better conditions that puppy farms.

Instead of showing being the focus of 'quality dogs', perhaps encouraging obedience, agility and other dog sports up there will appeal to a broader audience.

Showing is a showcase of breeding stock - it actually has a purpose .....all dogs can do obedience and agility etc.

Edited by sas

I hear of far too many health and/or behavioural issues on dogs from petshops. I would NEVER support this industry, in spite of the fact that it is this industry that keeps me in business (and poor). Yes, I'm a rescuer, taking dogs from the pounds and receiving lots of calls from people who made those impulse purchases and no longer want the dog.

I actually have what is most likely an ex-puppy farm dog here (that's where the petshop puppies come from, no matter what you may be told by the pro petshop people).

She is about 8 yrs old - that's the age where they stop breeding good litters usually. She is a cross breed herself, she was almost completely bald when I got her from the pound but worst of all, she ate her own poop. The minute she did one, she spun round and consumed it, no matter what consistency.

My vet advised it was best to put her to sleep - he knew that it was about to cost me a whole heap of money that I'd never recoup .... plus he couldn't find a reason for the baldness. Stress can cause baldness and I've had a few dogs over the years that have been similar and come good. I can't bear it when a dog has had a crap life and then gets euthanased, not if I can do something.

I understand from the RSPCA and other rescuers that have taken dogs from puppy farms, that this is the behaviour the breeding bitches develop when they are constantly caged - they have to keep it clean for their puppies. She has dry eye as well.

However, she now looks magnificent and has stopped eating her poop so is now hopefully going to find a loving home.

And that is what rescue is all about. I hope one day there won't be a need.

These sorts of actions give you hope that we're not all callous individuals living in a throw away society. People do care and do want to help dogs as this forum shows all the time. If it weren't for such actions I would genuinely despair of the human race. I know I nearly do everytime I walk past a pet shop..despair at people's greediness and thoughlessness - but this forum gives me hope.

I have never bought a dog/cat from a pet shop. My parents were registered GSD breeder when I was growing up, so that was installed in me from a very early age about supporting breeders (the right ones of course). They even bought my first dog from the AWL (as they supported shelters too). So all my dogs have been from shelters, except our Cavs which we bought from a registered (and ethical) breeder.

Not to say I haven't been tempted in the past when I have gone into a pet shop 'out of curiosity' Before we got Joey, I did come very close to actually buying a cute puppy from a pet shop while out and about once in a large shopping center. However my DH (who is very anti pet shops!) managed to get me out there without one ! Thank God!

We generally won't get our pet stuff from ones where they sell dogs and cats, but where we live it's hard to find such a pet shop (there's only the one here anyway). I have been in it once I admit to grab something (but I usually have a bit of whinge to people around me about my dislake of such places!)

I'm disappointed tho that my brother was brought up with strong pet owning ethics as well, but a year ago he and his now ex wife went and bought 2 Cavalier x's , more because of the wife insisting, which she has since left my brother, who didn't really want them at the time, but is stuck with them now.

Most of my friends have had no idea what goes on behind the scenes with pet shops and puppy farms. I think now they do know (from me), some of them just prefer to turn a blind eye to it.. :(

Edited by JulesLuvsCavs

With figures like 150,000 + dogs PTS every year I don't think we need to encourage ANYONE to breed more dogs, be they new registered breeders or BYB.

From what I can gather getting registered with any of the state dog council is a matter of paying your money and choosing a name. While they do have codes of conduct for members from what I have read on DOL they do not necessarily follow up any complaints from new puppy buyers and there is no safe guard just because you buy from a registered breeder **flame suit on** Having said that I know there are many wonderful breeders, my beautiful boy's breeder is a great example of this, so I don't mean to lump every registered breeder in this pot.

A decent ongoing education campaign from an organisation could make the difference from people buying from BYB and pet shops and steering them towards the registered breeders or rescue, arming would-be puppy buyers with information on what to ask and what to look out for. Dare I say this is something the RSPCA could do if they had enough testicular fortitude to actually want to make a difference.

Your average registered breeder could not afford the ongoing cost an education campaign like this would be. Changing the publics perception will take years of continual exposure to the correct message.

Putting an immediate stop to pet shop animals would go a long way to helping this horrible statistic.

sas

How does that help? Being Registered doesn't mean you're good oe have a clue at what you're doing or keep your dogs in any better conditions that puppy farms.

Of course it doesn't.

People need to be encouraged to breed, to get into showing and to get into dog sports. We need new people to continue breeding purebred dogs. If people want to breed they should be encouraged to do so by becoming a registered breeder.

Sas

Showing is a showcase of breeding stock - it actually has a purpose .....all dogs can do obedience and agility etc.

Not everyone likes the idea of showing...not all dogs are suited to the show ring. Just because someone doesn't want to show, it does not mean that they would be an unethical breeder. An ethical and registered breeder does not have to show their dogs to prove that they are worthy. It can be done in many other ways.

Edited by spotty

Good to hear the OP has resisted temptation. The pup you actually get (from a breeder) will be just as beautiful and you can be happy about where it came from. It's worth the wait.

I'm another one who bought a dog from a pet shop 12 years ago, only to discover he had some very serious health issues (corona virus). He was near death within 24 hours and stayed very close to death for almost 2 weeks. The pet shop refused to help pay any of his vet bills. They did say I could return him for my money back though - as if he was a broken toaster! I was just completely disgusted. Even my vet wrote them a letter.

He did survive in the end though - we were lucky. But pet shops that sell pups are horrible. Never again.

Just out of interest, what actually happens to sick puppies that are returned tp [et shops? I assume they would be PTS?

People need to be encouraged to breed, to get into showing and to get into dog sports. We need new people to continue breeding purebred dogs. If people want to breed they should be encouraged to do so by becoming a registered breeder

A quick look on the puppies for sale on DOL - 54 breeders of Cavs, 57 breeders of Labs, 33 breeders of Toy Poodles, 57 breeders of GSD's - even if they all had only 5 pups for sale theres 1005 purebred pups right there. Yes I know these are the high end of the scale and popular breeds at present, but I hesitate to guess that these are not the only registered breeders of these breeds here in Australia who actually have puppies for sale at present.

Can't imagine all of the breeders are old and about to give it up, some of them will be left to carry on :( Don't think we need any more!

Sorry quote didn't work

Good to hear the OP has resisted temptation. The pup you actually get (from a breeder) will be just as beautiful and you can be happy about where it came from. It's worth the wait.

I'm another one who bought a dog from a pet shop 12 years ago, only to discover he had some very serious health issues (corona virus). He was near death within 24 hours and stayed very close to death for almost 2 weeks. The pet shop refused to help pay any of his vet bills. They did say I could return him for my money back though - as if he was a broken toaster! I was just completely disgusted. Even my vet wrote them a letter.

He did survive in the end though - we were lucky. But pet shops that sell pups are horrible. Never again.

Just out of interest, what actually happens to sick puppies that are returned tp [et shops? I assume they would be PTS?

I imagine the same thing that would happen if you returned a sick dog to ANY breeder?? It would be left to the decision of the people and Veterinarians in charge of that particular case.

I think it would be very difficult to return a sick puppy to anyone. The desire to nuture and care for it after it has been in your family would be so strong (in most people I guess?) I imagine most people (like the people who 'chat' on this forum) would be inclined to try to help the pup in question BUT that said, most, if not ALL of the people on this forum wouldn't buy a puppy from a Pet Store.

Of course a Puppy from ANY breeder can still get sick and/or have some health problems or issues, despite the best of care and intentions. It's how these individual situations, the animals and people involved are treated and handled that makes you 'ethical'.

It was suggested to me recently, and I do find this point of view interesting.... that.... Pounds and Rescue groups contribute to the perpetuation of unwanted pets by finding homes for the 'rejects' and therefore increasing the demand and lessening the guilt by rehoming rather than destroying unwanted animals and lessening the effect of the statistics of unwanted and destroyed pets?

An interesting point of view I thought.

Rescues deal in real live dogs. The statistics may be interesting but I don't support the idea of a dog receiving an automatic death sentence because its been irresponsibly bred, impulsively purchased and/or poorly raised.

That would appear to be the consequence of any course of action OTHER than rescue.

People dump dogs without guilt regardless of what happens to them anyway. Out of sight, out of mind. :(

I totally agree.

What I find amazing though (AND this is my own experience) it the attitude of some people when they find out you have bought a Registered Purebred dog from a Breeder rather than go through a "Rescue Group/Pound etc. and 'Save' someone elses rejected dog. Of course some of the dogs are there for a reason, not necessarily any fault of their own, mostly behavoural problem due to bad handling, misinformation, poor fencing, errors in judgment and other "circumstances beyond their control". But am I a 'bad' person because I chose which dog I wanted? Every dog I've ever owned has been with me all their lives. I've had some heartbreaking experiences from adopting 'rescue dogs'. I won't do it again.

Can't imagine all of the breeders are old and about to give it up, some of them will be left to carry on :(Don't think we need any more!

I have plenty of concerns about registered breeders who prioritise show ring success over health or temperament issues. But the really good responsible registered breeders with the full welfare of their breed/s at heart I'd be very happy to see more of.

And to keep my post on topic, LOL - I won't buy from stores that sell animals apart from fish and rodents. But I am still a bit haunted by a kitten at my local that looked very unhappy and unwell and like it needed to be 'rescued'. I left it there and I think it died, poor little mite. Even though I know on balance it was the right thing to do, it feels very much like it was the wormg thing to have done for that kitten.

Edited by Diva