Would You Buy From A Petstore?

Guest acb123

I hear of far too many health and/or behavioural issues on dogs from petshops. I would NEVER support this industry, in spite of the fact that it is this industry that keeps me in business (and poor). Yes, I'm a rescuer, taking dogs from the pounds and receiving lots of calls from people who made those impulse purchases and no longer want the dog.

I actually have what is most likely an ex-puppy farm dog here (that's where the petshop puppies come from, no matter what you may be told by the pro petshop people).

She is about 8 yrs old - that's the age where they stop breeding good litters usually. She is a cross breed herself, she was almost completely bald when I got her from the pound but worst of all, she ate her own poop. The minute she did one, she spun round and consumed it, no matter what consistency.

My vet advised it was best to put her to sleep - he knew that it was about to cost me a whole heap of money that I'd never recoup .... plus he couldn't find a reason for the baldness. Stress can cause baldness and I've had a few dogs over the years that have been similar and come good. I can't bear it when a dog has had a crap life and then gets euthanased, not if I can do something.

I understand from the RSPCA and other rescuers that have taken dogs from puppy farms, that this is the behaviour the breeding bitches develop when they are constantly caged - they have to keep it clean for their puppies. She has dry eye as well.

However, she now looks magnificent and has stopped eating her poop so is now hopefully going to find a loving home.

And that is what rescue is all about. I hope one day there won't be a need.

post-4751-1270962088_thumb.jpg

Edited by dogmad

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was suggested to me recently, and I do find this point of view interesting.... that.... Pounds and Rescue groups contribute to the perpetuation of unwanted pets by finding homes for the 'rejects' and therefore increasing the demand and lessening the guilt by rehoming rather than destroying unwanted animals and lessening the effect of the statistics of unwanted and destroyed pets?

An interesting point of view I thought.

Edited by LizT

I recently returned from Europe. While i was there we went to Harrods. I couldn't wait until we went to the 'pet kingdom" section and was prepared to spend. I was almost physically ill to find "Pure bred pug Puppies " for sale. And here's the price 2,200 pounds. Not dollars pounds. That's nearly $4,500!!! And these were not good pug puppies. I took photo's because I just couldn't believe it. They had "Chi's" as well and "griffies"

Do you think I could get an answer when I asked their "expert animal carer" where the puppy came from? No and even the lady next to me repeated the question but no answer. But what can you expect from someone who wasn't even aware that the pup he was holding was a he and not a she!!!

I couldn't buy anything from there and left in an extremely stressed state.

It was suggested to me recently, and I do find this point of view interesting.... that.... Pounds and Rescue groups contribute to the perpetuation of unwanted pets by finding homes for the 'rejects' and therefore increasing the demand and lessening the guilt by rehoming rather than destroying unwanted animals and lessening the effect of the statistics of unwanted and destroyed pets?

I don't think this makes sense at all. Something is very wrong in Australia - full stop.

In the UK, population of 60M approx, euthanasia rate of about 15,000 dogs per annum.

Australia, population of around 21M approx, euthanasia rate of about 150,000+ dogs per annum.

Hmmm, I don't think you can blame the pounds/rescues for that statistic. Blame the Australian population for not having commitment to their pets, for believing that dogs must have a litter to be nice, that it's OK to get a new puppy when they are bored with the old dog, to get rid of their dog when they have a baby, move house, change the colour of their loungeroom walls. Or that it's OK to make some quick bucks from breeding their dog with another undesexed dog - breed not an issue.

Next you'll be telling me that the dogs in pounds are there because there's something wrong with them.

I don't think this makes sense at all. Something is very wrong in Australia - full stop.

In the UK, population of 60M approx, euthanasia rate of about 15,000 dogs per annum.

Australia, population of around 21M approx, euthanasia rate of about 150,000+ dogs per annum.

Hmmm, I don't think you can blame the pounds/rescues for that statistic. Blame the Australian population for not having commitment to their pets, for believing that dogs must have a litter to be nice, that it's OK to get a new puppy when they are bored with the old dog, to get rid of their dog when they have a baby, move house, change the colour of their loungeroom walls. Or that it's OK to make some quick bucks from breeding their dog with another undesexed dog - breed not an issue.

Next you'll be telling me that the dogs in pounds are there because there's something wrong with them.

Well said, dogmad. :laugh:

LizT's right in that the argument she quoted is sometimes put about as an 'answer' to the huge dog dumping/euthing problem, in this country.

So it's fair enough to have it aired here on DOL & a sound rebuttal given.

The U of Q research found very much what dogmad has said.....& their recommendations for action didn't include watering down rescue efforts to seal off an easy dump option. The ease with which some people dump is another issue.

Edited by mita

Well I went to the pet store to look for some pet supplies for when I get my pup and there was a gorgeous pup there.

Absolutely gorgeous.....and I said I would never buy from a pet store because I don't support the concept or principle of it.

Then I :cry: at the thought of him being left there overnight.

I then asked if I could see him outside of the glass cabinet he was in and felt even worse about leaving him behind :p

The irony is that he costs the same amount as from a registered breeder. I'm on the wait list with a few breeders that I researched so what do you think?

How do you look at this? Are you supporting a terrible industry by buying from a pet store? Or do you see it as saving a puppy? :laugh:

I swore I would never buy from a pet store & I walked away but feel so bad for the pup!

To answer your question - no

Why?

Because:

1. You take one puppy out of the petshop they will replace it with another. This consequently feeds the BYB or puppy farm market. Demand = supply

2. Most pet shop pups I have seen have huge problems behaviourally - either fear or an inability to "speak dog" because they have been removed from their mother too young and have been put in a pen

3. I like the know the breeding of my pure bred. If I want a x, there are plenty in pounds.

Saying all of that, if your heart tells you you want this dog, go for it. But do it because you're in love with this dog not because of some misguided martyr syndrome. Otherwise you will end up with a house full of dogs you dont really want or love.

Just IMO

I would never buy from a pet shop as I am not in favour of live animals being sold that way. I would rather buy from a breeder even if I had to wait and know that the animal I am getting will turn out exactly how it should. Most pups sold in pet shops are of dubious parentage, though may look like a specific breed until it grows up and we all know that pups have the cute factor and sadly are bought on a whim and when the dog doesn't turn out how it was supposed to, that

leads to abandonment, neglect and of course rescues and shelters being overun with unwanted animals. Buying from pet shops is only keeping the back yard breeders in business.

Marion01

Long time back I bought a kitten from a petshop....she was extremely young & being kept in filthy conditions.

She grew up with all the signs of having been taken from her mother too early. Probably snatched off for selling after first sip from a saucer or nibble at some fish. She grew up hopeless at many regular cat behaviours.

We called her Hopeless Kate.....but she lived until she was 17 years of age.

Yes, a good point can be made from this. The presentation of helpless little animals in petstores can trigger a sympathy purchase.

So what others have already cautioned about that, remains true.

Edited by mita

Good to hear the OP has resisted temptation. The pup you actually get (from a breeder) will be just as beautiful and you can be happy about where it came from. It's worth the wait.

I'm another one who bought a dog from a pet shop 12 years ago, only to discover he had some very serious health issues (corona virus). He was near death within 24 hours and stayed very close to death for almost 2 weeks. The pet shop refused to help pay any of his vet bills. They did say I could return him for my money back though - as if he was a broken toaster! I was just completely disgusted. Even my vet wrote them a letter.

He did survive in the end though - we were lucky. But pet shops that sell pups are horrible. Never again.

I think the flaw in that argument is that most people have no idea how many dogs are rehomed and euthanised each year. Most people, even many breeders, are shocked when you tell them the real figures of how many dogs are dumped, and how many of those end up PTS, each year.

So, it's not like BYB are basing their decisions whether to breed on the true facts of how many dogs are euthanised/rehomed, since most of them simply don't know these facts.

I think you're right that many people have a false impression that "most" or "all" unwanted dogs end up finding new homes, but in that case I think the solution is to more widely publicise how many nice but unwanted dogs get PTS every year. Not to PTS more of them. :cry:

If it were more widely publicised, I think it would be good to break it down by breed and dog type, too. I've heard the argument "oh, but that's just mutts/big dogs/pitbulls. Cockerpoos/snoodles/toy breeds/white dogs are very popular, they never end up in the pound!" And BYB wash their hands that way, since their "type" of dog has nothing to do with the pound situation... :laugh:

No, I won't be "telling you" anything of the sort! As I said I found it an 'interesting point of view'. I agree with your statement about the pathetic reasons that dogs end up in pounds. I also know for a fact that people will leave a dog that has escaped their property in a pound because they are sick of paying the release fee but will then go out and get another (and I guess they hope "better" puppy instead.)

I think the reason we have a higher figure for animal euthanasia is because we have a higher rate of pet ownership? This is probably due to the higher rate of home ownership and more houses with yards and less apartment living.

How do you look at this? Are you supporting a terrible industry by buying from a pet store? Or do you see it as saving a puppy? :laugh:

Nope, you are pretty much condemming more dogs to be used a breeding machines in lives of issolation to keep pumping out puppies for people to buy on impluse or when people feel sorry for them at petshops

I know exactly how you feel. I saw a beautiful 12 week old BC puppy in a pet shop on the weekend. It was all I could do to stop myself from bringing him home.

Whenever I feel like that though I remind myself of the pup we PTS at 7 months because of a health issues and how bad I felt then.........Walking away from the beautiful little man in the window was not a drop in the ocean compared to that.

Did a puppy farmer tell you that?

Rescues deal in real live dogs. The statistics may be interesting but I don't support the idea of a dog receiving an automatic death sentence because its been irresponsibly bred, impulsively purchased and/or poorly raised.

That would appear to be the consequence of any course of action OTHER than rescue.

People dump dogs without guilt regardless of what happens to them anyway. Out of sight, out of mind. :laugh:

Good for you not buying from the pet store :laugh:

Me, personally, I don't buy from a pet shop that sells puppies or kitten in there and i don't allow my boyfriend to do so either. I just don't support them. It's to much for me to go in there and see puppies in a glass box.

I hate the sale of live animals in pet shops and dont support puppy farms, but how the hell would registered breeders support the demand for dogs in todays society? Become puppy farms themselves?

Whats the solution?

Breeders should be encouraging more people to become registered breeders.

There is a lot that can be done, but it just isn't happening.

Edited to expand

1. The pet advertisement websites are absolutely flooded with back yard breeders and petshops. Petlink, Gumtree, the Trading Post, just to name a few. There a few registered breeders, but they get drowned out by the back yard breeders.

2. Breeders are very protective of their dogs, and rightly so. But unless they let a few more of their dogs go on main register then who is going to breed after the current breeders stop?

3. Instead of showing being the focus of 'quality dogs', perhaps encouraging obedience, agility and other dog sports up there will appeal to a broader audience.

4. Never have I been on a breeders website that has said "If you want to become a registered breeder then go here > do this > buy one of my dogs to start your breeding program > hey I will even be your mentor!"

Just a few thoughts :shrugs:

Edited by spotty

NO I do not buy anthing from pet shops that sell animals

Same here. I refuse to give them a cent.

Same, although I do sometimes shop at a store near me that is a rehoming centre for AWL, so there are some animals instore being the store owners cat and dog that hang around in the shop and some desexed animals waiting to be rehomed, and they've assured me they screen purchasers for suitabliity first, though you can't be sure.

NO I do not buy anthing from pet shops that sell animals

Same here. I refuse to give them a cent.

Same, although I do sometimes shop at a store near me that is a rehoming centre for AWL, so there are some animals instore being the store owners cat and dog that hang around in the shop and some desexed animals waiting to be rehomed, and they've assured me they screen purchasers for suitabliity first, though you can't be sure.

I think that's a great idea, as long as they screen people reasonably well to make sure they are suitable owners. If people are going to decide which animal to adopt based on impulse instead of research (and let's face it, many people always will), then getting them buying a pound puppy or kitten instead of buying from a puppy farm is IMO the way to go.

Even if petshops just hold the pups or kittens there on display, and make the prospective buyers contact the rescue organisation to arrange adoption, that would be an improvement. At the moment it's so much easier for people to buy a pet shop puppy than adopt from rescue, since pet shop puppies are so well advertised and so accessible.