Would You Buy From A Petstore?

Guest acb123

Guest acb123

Well I went to the pet store to look for some pet supplies for when I get my pup and there was a gorgeous pup there.

Absolutely gorgeous.....and I said I would never buy from a pet store because I don't support the concept or principle of it.

Then I :) at the thought of him being left there overnight.

I then asked if I could see him outside of the glass cabinet he was in and felt even worse about leaving him behind :)

The irony is that he costs the same amount as from a registered breeder. I'm on the wait list with a few breeders that I researched so what do you think?

How do you look at this? Are you supporting a terrible industry by buying from a pet store? Or do you see it as saving a puppy? :)

I swore I would never buy from a pet store & I walked away but feel so bad for the pup!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How do you look at this? Are you supporting a terrible industry by buying from a pet store? Or do you see it as saving a puppy? :)

If you rescue this pup, you're directly causing the pet shop to replace him with another pup. Supply and demand.

Pet stores will only stop stocking live animals when people stop buying them.

No, I never would.

If you rescue this pup, you're directly causing the pet shop to replace him with another pup. Supply and demand.

I agree with this.

Guest acb123

That's exactly what I think .....but feel so :( for the pup!

The number of people that were looking at it and going "go on ...get it...." and the reply "dunno...maybe....dunno if I'll be allowed to keep it" :)

I felt so sad knowing that this pup might not go to a forever home but a "you're cute for now" home :)

That's exactly what I think .....but feel so :( for the pup!

The number of people that were looking at it and going "go on ...get it...." and the reply "dunno...maybe....dunno if I'll be allowed to keep it" :)

I felt so sad knowing that this pup might not go to a forever home but a "you're cute for now" home :)

It would be sadder if the pup has something like PRA and your dog is blind by the time itis 5 or 6. :) It is also sad for the puppy farm bicth that will be having to push out another litter because people are buying the pups.

Guest acb123
Why would you go for the overpriced mutt or purebackyardbred dog when you could get one from a registered breeder for the same price?

mainly because I'm a soft touch.....they told me the pup will be sleeping in the building overnight :):):)

It's never about money for me

Guest acb123
It would be sadder if the pup has something like PRA and your dog is blind by the time itis 5 or 6. :) It is also sad for the puppy farm bicth that will be having to push out another litter because people are buying the pups.

I know you're right.....it's just so sad :)

I know I can't do it and I know they will just get more pups in stock it feels like a no win situation.

I need to go to a pet store that doesn't sell animals! It's too heartbreaking! It doesn't help that I'm very "dog clucky" at the moment!

Guest acb123
That is why I get my supplies from Petbarn...no puppy dogs in windows there, it always makes me sad when I see them behind the glass

You beat me to it GoldenGirl! :)

I could not buy one on principal,I never go into a pet store who sells puppies/kittens............Because I am a soft touch and because I can get a little agitated and I might cause a scene. I so loathe petshops selling puppies/kittens

Its hard when you see such tiny, helpless little pups but I would never ever do it again, its just not worth it.

Find a petstore that dosnt sell animals, it will be easier on you.

Edited by Wolfsong

No way.

I have been tempted to "rescue" some puppies in a pet shop that is pretty nasty and filthy,but I know if I had brought the puppies, the pet shop would only get more and I'd be helping them make a profit.

The best thing is to buy from pet shops that don't sell animals and online.

No. Every time someone saves the gorgeous puppy they are promoting this & allowing it to continue

http://www.alv.org.au/issues/puppyfactories.php

Please read & go to the home page for more specific info & more raids.

Think about this carefully & realise the puppy you save will be replaced. They sold it & made a profit from you didn't they ?

So why should they stop ?

Do not look in pet shops any more.

It is annoying when people with pet shop dogs tell me they have a "rescue" dog because they rescued it from the petshop. It is hard to leave them there, but if you paid for one, you're just perpetuating the cycle. You may be helping one puppy, but you are indirectly contributing to making the lives of many more dogs miserable.

Don't do it. My ex bought a cute puppy from a pet store - he grew larger than the breeds he was supposedly crossed from, he was highly reactive and fearful, had severe seperation anxiety (was removed from his mother too soon I suspect) and ended up passing away at only 7 years from complications due to diabeties.

You don't know what the temperament of the parents are like, its unlikely any genetic/health testing has been done on either parents or puppy, and you have no come back in terms of breeder support. By from a breeder, and if you are a softie like me, online shopping is lots of fun!

Guest acb123

Then they told me that the pup came from a "reputable breeder" :laugh:

How do you even start to inform them that they can't be a "reputable" breeder if they sell them to pet stores who don't even check the prospective owners :)

How could a "reputable" breeder even sell their babies to a pet store! They don't know who will end up with their pups!!!

Oh I'm so sad. I know I can't "rescue" it as I will be supporting an industry of ill treatment of animals but by heavens it's hard :laugh:

Guest acb123

Hey Lappiemum,

I also was thinking along the lines of "what breed exactly would this be?" given that for the first time in my life I saw a "Beaglier" (Beagle x Cavalier?) next to the pup I saw there.

It's so sad & equally frustrating.....but you can't save the world....even though you might want to.....

Edited by acb123

An ethical breeder doesn't sell to pet stores, and reputable may mean puppy farmer......! :)

Don't get suckered in - esp when you can't be guaranteed what you are buying! - and if you are paying the same amount as you would if you were buying from a registered and ethical breeder, then its a no-brainer!!