God I'm Fuming Atm!

julesluvscavs

Long story cut short, our Renae had to stay at the vets last night to be put on a drip, as she she had been vomiting heaps, and had the runs bad..

I asked them if i could stay, but they said No.. but told me someone comes in and checks on them through the night..

She not used to being alone...

Anyway I rang them up at 9am as they said too, and they said she had escaped out of her cage, and got out of her drip and found wandering the clinic this morning. They said she was a lot more perkier and had drank some water, but was still vomiting..

The vet is coming in at 11am to see her, and will make a decision what to do then..

I am not allowing her to stay one more night there! I will treat her at home if I have too!

I'm so angry!

It's costing us heaps just having her there with the drip (that she didn't get to much of anyway!), you would think they would have a vet nurse stay ovenight! It's not right having our precious sick pets on their own all night till the next morning ! :) Humans don't even get treated like that !

I am bringing her home after I see the vet regardless what they have to say!!!

Edited by JulesLuvsCavs

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im the same, I wont leave my dogs overnight at the vet either. If they are with me and are sick I will sleep next to them and so on. If you are lucky a vet will check the dog once through the night. Drips arent that difficult to manage overnight at home.

If you want a vet nurse to stay overnight it will cost you extra, you'd have to pay their wages for the whole night. Dogs don't get out very often and it is negligent of the vet to let you take home a dog on a drip, so you wouldn't be able to have a drip on your dog at home unless you know what to look for and do. Though with some conditions it can be better to have the dog at home, but others it is better off at the vets.

OMG! That's awful Jules.

While no one normally stays overnight (unless absolutely neccessary) it is unthinkable that renae got out of her cage :) Obviously it was ot closed properly. Awful, I would be very upset too. If she is drinking she does not need a drip(unless meds are in it) and should be better at home. I dont' leave mine either and am lucky here as my vet will let me go in with mine if they have to be there.

Poor Renae, she must have been very frightened :laugh: ;) Hope she is feeling a lot better now.

The only places I know that may have someone overnight is very very large vet hospitals, vets really cannot have people in there overnight. If an animal is on the edge, car accident, snake bite etc. a vet will usually stay, otherwise I've never heard of it. So they are not unusual, but really, the cage SHOULD have been closed properly!!!!!!

If you want a vet nurse to stay overnight it will cost you extra, you'd have to pay their wages for the whole night. Dogs don't get out very often and it is negligent of the vet to let you take home a dog on a drip, so you wouldn't be able to have a drip on your dog at home unless you know what to look for and do. Though with some conditions it can be better to have the dog at home, but others it is better off at the vets.

and they are charging me the earth as it is !!

Well it seems she wasn't getting treated anyway there, if the drip had come out :)

It is not common practice for staff to remain at a clinic overnight.

In fact, with 12 years Vet Nursing in numerous clinics I have never seen it occur.

If you have grave concerns, you can ask your Vet for a referral and take to an AEC or similar, which are only open outside

of normal clinic hours and have Vets/Nurses working all night.

Hope she continues to improve though, Jules! :)

OMG! That's awful Jules.

While no one normally stays overnight (unless absolutely neccessary) it is unthinkable that renae got out of her cage :) Obviously it was ot closed properly. Awful, I would be very upset too. If she is drinking she does not need a drip(unless meds are in it) and should be better at home. I dont' leave mine either and am lucky here as my vet will let me go in with mine if they have to be there.

Poor Renae, she must have been very frightened :laugh: ;) Hope she is feeling a lot better now.

The only places I know that may have someone overnight is very very large vet hospitals, vets really cannot have people in there overnight. If an animal is on the edge, car accident, snake bite etc. a vet will usually stay, otherwise I've never heard of it. So they are not unusual, but really, the cage SHOULD have been closed properly!!!!!!

Thanks Monah :D

I was allowed to stay a few hours with a dog of mine once at another vets .. I just layed on a blanket next to him.. then went home when he was sleeping..

My husband rang them up (from work), and they told him about it, and said most likely she will come home with some medication and special tinned food.

I don't know if they gonna run tests on her yet..

In fact, with 12 years Vet Nursing in numerous clinics I have never seen it occur.

If you have grave concerns, you can ask your Vet for a referral and take to an AEC or similar, which are only open outside

Thanks jerojath ;)

I realize that, but they did say someone would be checking on them through the night..so I'm not sure what went on :laugh:

The costs so far won't include extra staff, but I know it seems like it should because the charges can be enormous. They can't leave you alone in a vet clinic for liability purposes, too much dangerous equipment and drugs there. They obviously didn't know that she would get out and pull out her drip, they would have thought she needed it, maybe talk to them and ask if they can drop that off the bill. Animals can be unpredictable and sometimes things happen.

That's horrible, I couldn't think of anything worse than being told my dog had been wandering around a strange environment not getting the treatment expected. I would have thought the vet would check on your dog before 11 am if in their opinion it was necessary for her to stay overnight. I guess I am lucky one cosideration when I chose my vet was that he lived on the premesis and will be there to keep an eye on my pets if they ever need to stay overnight, something I have avoided so far.

Don't beat yourself up about it, you know now and doesn't sound like it will ever happen again to your girl. Hugs and gentle pats to Renae.

I'm the opposite, and I work in a clinic! When Orbit has been sick I bring him straight here, put him on a drip in a cage and he stays here. My boss does live here but he isn't watching him 24/7.

I've never seen or heard of an animal escaping its cage before. Yep, some pull their lines out, but its not that often. I would say too that 90% of dogs and cats, when put in their hospital cages, are quite happy to lay down and sleep.

Personally, I think if its not a life or death situation where the patient needs intensive care monitoring, there shouldn't really be a problem with the patient staying overnight. Being cage confined is helpful and you also don't have worried owners stressing the animals out even more with their worrying.

If something is sick enough to need 24/7 watching, then it should be at an overnight emergency service.

This is why I think crate training is so important. There are going to be times when pets need to stay in hospital, no question.

I'm the opposite, and I work in a clinic! When Orbit has been sick I bring him straight here, put him on a drip in a cage and he stays here. My boss does live here but he isn't watching him 24/7.

I've never seen or heard of an animal escaping its cage before. Yep, some pull their lines out, but its not that often. I would say too that 90% of dogs and cats, when put in their hospital cages, are quite happy to lay down and sleep.

Personally, I think if its not a life or death situation where the patient needs intensive care monitoring, there shouldn't really be a problem with the patient staying overnight. Being cage confined is helpful and you also don't have worried owners stressing the animals out even more with their worrying.

If something is sick enough to need 24/7 watching, then it should be at an overnight emergency service.

This is why I think crate training is so important. There are going to be times when pets need to stay in hospital, no question.

She is crate trained (she used to be a show dog, and I crate her at times too).. but she must have been so frantic to get out it :)

Edited by JulesLuvsCavs

The costs so far won't include extra staff, but I know it seems like it should because the charges can be enormous. They can't leave you alone in a vet clinic for liability purposes, too much dangerous equipment and drugs there. They obviously didn't know that she would get out and pull out her drip, they would have thought she needed it, maybe talk to them and ask if they can drop that off the bill. Animals can be unpredictable and sometimes things happen.

Yeah I know, I just feel really upset :)

I'm going try asking them to drop the price.. thanks :laugh:

That's horrible, I couldn't think of anything worse than being told my dog had been wandering around a strange environment not getting the treatment expected. I would have thought the vet would check on your dog before 11 am if in their opinion it was necessary for her to stay overnight. I guess I am lucky one cosideration when I chose my vet was that he lived on the premesis and will be there to keep an eye on my pets if they ever need to stay overnight, something I have avoided so far.

Don't beat yourself up about it, you know now and doesn't sound like it will ever happen again to your girl. Hugs and gentle pats to Renae.

They probably wen't meant to tell me that.. perhaps ... but they did !

Thank you...

Poor Renae :laugh: I hope she's feeling better and home soon Jules. Not at all good that she got out of her cage, she could have hurt herself or gotten into something :)

I know, thank you Aussie3 :D

I just want her home back with us, and Joey.. he's missing her as well ;)

Our vet clinic is manned 24 hrs to look after the animals & to take any emergency cases that may come in. But it is one of the largest clinics/surgeries in Brisbane & you definitely pay for it.

Hope Renae is feeling better soon Jules.

Thanks Mrs D.. yeah well we are in coastal country town, so we don't have many other options. We have been fairly happy with them in the past, altho they do seem to lack a bit of personal compassion at times imo. :)

I am prepared to pay whatever if they get the right care and are monitored ..

Edited by JulesLuvsCavs