Stud Male Advertising

GK & Saxon

Also he is not just a Staffy and we're in Darwin where I think there is currently only one breeder, as our breeder left town so you never know smile.gif

I am from a breed which has around 15 entrie males in the country and my 4 month old is one of two dogs from a certain line. However I don't see this as a reason to breed and I would definately be getting health tests (including hips and elbows done at 2 and DNA tests), a show title and proving his working ability. When he is judged worthy he will be available.

I think showing, reading and resarching the breed will let you be able to judge just where your boys strengths/weaknesses lie and you must remember anything your boy sires will refelct back to you.

(I am not very good at wording things and this is not meant as a critisism, just an observation I have made) :rofl:

No the Dog Whisperer actully said ideally people should neuter their dogs but if not then naturally, if they were in a pack they would mate at least twice a year as this is how often females come on heat and just like most males animals if they don't mate they can get frustrated which can lead to aggression.

Except that most wild dogs (such as dingos) only come on heat once a year, not twice like domestic dogs.

Plus in the wild dog pack the alpha male mates, and might prevent other males to mate, so its not exactly true what Cesar said.

I own a 10 year old very famous show dog with titles galore that has been used at stud. In his entire life he had aprox 10 girlfriends, so hardly two a year.

And he hasnt had a girlfriend in abut 3-4 years, lives with 2 entire bitches and might get a bit frustrated when they are on heat, but I certainly wouldnt think he needs to mate!!!! Dogs can mate any time of a year and a male would do it daily if given an opportunity, so the two times a year is a total BS.

All I can say is that if the dog has not mated he doesnt know what he is missing, once he does mate, he wants it more. Also you need to consider the fact that your dog can potentially become a bit dog agressive after he studs (refer the paragraph about alpha male eliminating other males)

Hi, I have read the majority of posts here and like most I think the dog should be checked in terms of health and conformity to the standard. However I also can appreciated your question, you would like to know of places where your dog can get exposure to breeders of your particular type of dog. There are:

* Showrings

* Agility Comps

I would also like to know some places, are there any legitimate places to get exposure (there are certain sites you can advertise on, but the legitimacy may be lacking)

if anyone else can list some things, it would be appreciated.

I agree with what everyone else says :(

But wanted to add, does he have a DOL profile? With males dogs you have the option of specifying if they are available at public stud. So once his health checks are done (and several can't be done until they are over a year old) then you can always opt to say yes. Then if people look him up to find out more they can see that it might be worth contacting you :)

But most requests would be received by word of mouth :laugh:

Good luck showing him :laugh:

DOL

breed specific web pages

breed specific magazines

catalogues for specialty shows

your own website

All in all a dog has to prove itself to others to be worthy of being used, no matter how much advertising one does if the dog is sh*t it most likely wont get used.

Breeders know what they want most of the time, and know what they dont want all the time :(

DOL

breed specific web pages

breed specific magazines

catalogues for specialty shows

your own website

All in all a dog has to prove itself to others to be worthy of being used, no matter how much advertising one does if the dog is sh*t it most likely wont get used.

Breeders know what they want most of the time, and know what they dont want all the time :(

Wanted to add .. and if people only want to use your dog because of his colour, ask yourself if their bitches are likely to produce the kind of pups you want acknowledged as having been sired by him. I'd not let my dog be used on any bitch if her quality wasn't up to scratch.. ditto her health checks.

Hi, I have read the majority of posts here and like most I think the dog should be checked in terms of health and conformity to the standard. However I also can appreciated your question, you would like to know of places where your dog can get exposure to breeders of your particular type of dog. There are:

* Showrings

* Agility Comps

I would also like to know some places, are there any legitimate places to get exposure (there are certain sites you can advertise on, but the legitimacy may be lacking)

Aslo Obidience/Rally/Flyball/Endurance Test and any other sports/activities that show the dog is well behaved, well mannered and athlectic.

The next show in Darwin is on the 24th of this month.

Have you entered??

If you haven't, come along anyway and come and say hello - I'm fairly busy but can usually stop for 5 mins at a time.

If you are entered I will find you as I can always spot the new people - been showing up here for 16 years or so and know pretty much everyone :laugh:

PM me if you want any help entering shows or finding out information.

I own a Stafford and he's now around 2.5 years and never mated and I don't think he is frustrated :(

I have a 21/2 year old entire male - he has sired one litter (when he was just over a year old) and hasn't mated since - he doesn't seem to be frustrated. Our neighbour's bitch was on heat a few months ago and he didn't even acknowledge the fact (probably thought she was beneAth him, as she's a bitser :( )

Thank you so much to everyone, for your wise words, I understand very well now. I will get tests done, show him when I can and perhaps do agility courses. If he is a value to the breed and someone wants to use him for a stud, I think, with the right bitch he will make Blue puppies, which are such a beautiful colour. His father was blue and I'm hoping he turns out a beautiful example of his breed because both sides of his family were great show dog, champions. However if not, I just love him so it really won't matter. After all, its not all about us, its about them.

Remembering I have never owned a dog before, is it normally for an 8 month old to want to hump after his dinner every night and try to hump most of the females at obedience school? It seems the other male dogs don't do this.

I am new to all this and our dog is our first. Saxon is an American Staffordshire, 8 months old and the breeder that sold him to us informed us he would make a great stud male.

I would like to ask what the process is with regards to advertising him as a stud and finding him suitable mates? what age?, the general rules that apply? etc.

Thanks for any help you can give us.

I wouldn't be worried about the advertising itself, just yet.

Maybe pop into the Amstaff thread and chat with some knowledgeable folk there who can guide you with relation to relevant health testing etc.

Is he ANKC registered? If so, is he on the main register? Do you show your dog? so many questions before anything else......

It's not YOUR job to find him 'suitable mates'... but rather breeders need to want to use HIM.

IMHO, a guality dog who is visible to the breed community needs little promotion.

ETA - WHY does the breeder think he would make a great stud dog?

I would be interested to know what the dog brings to the table also???

Thank you so much to everyone, for your wise words, I understand very well now. I will get tests done, show him when I can and perhaps do agility courses. If he is a value to the breed and someone wants to use him for a stud, I think, with the right bitch he will make Blue puppies, which are such a beautiful colour. His father was blue and I'm hoping he turns out a beautiful example of his breed because both sides of his family were great show dog, champions. However if not, I just love him so it really won't matter. After all, its not all about us, its about them.

Remembering I have never owned a dog before, is it normally for an 8 month old to want to hump after his dinner every night and try to hump most of the females at obedience school? It seems the other male dogs don't do this.

At 8 months.. They want to hump anything and everything. Damn annoying at times. They also want to pee on everything and OVER everyone else's pee. Easiest way to relieve.. and an eeeww factor here (hand relief) if it is too much, especially if there are bitches in season around.

To breed blue puppies because they are a "nice colour" is not a good enough reason to breed. Although that is a reason that some will use. If you are going to be in the game for the long haul, the last thing you want to be known as is a "colour breeder" or "puppy farmer". Colours of certain breeds will always be a fav with joe public. Certain breeders will breed to this market and have quite a few litters each year.

If you get lumped into that category. Your choices of quality studs/bitches down the track (presuming here you are going to get a bitch later on and continue on in this world) will not be available to you. Doors will start to close and you will only be limited to inferior animals from people who are labelled in a similar category.

I have a really nice dark red BC. I have been having stud enquiries on him since he was 6 months old. Not because he may be a nice dog (he's still a puppy, so who knows what he will turn out like), but his colour and the colour he may carry. He has some nice qualities that MAY when he matures be useful. But until he matures, he is a goofy pet that I am having fun with showing and in other activities. If the dog is good enough. People will notice him if he is out there of his own accord, and not just for his colour. That is what you want. The really good dogs advertise themselves without any help.