Stud Male Advertising

GK & Saxon

I am new to all this and our dog is our first. Saxon is an American Staffordshire, 8 months old and the breeder that sold him to us informed us he would make a great stud male.

I would like to ask what the process is with regards to advertising him as a stud and finding him suitable mates? what age?, the general rules that apply? etc.

Thanks for any help you can give us.

post-34150-1270556820_thumb.jpg

I am new to all this and our dog is our first. Saxon is an American Staffordshire, 8 months old and the breeder that sold him to us informed us he would make a great stud male.

I would like to ask what the process is with regards to advertising him as a stud and finding him suitable mates? what age?, the general rules that apply? etc.

I wouldn't be worried about the advertising itself, just yet.

Maybe pop into the Amstaff thread and chat with some knowledgeable folk there who can guide you with relation to relevant health testing etc.

Is he ANKC registered? If so, is he on the main register? Do you show your dog? so many questions before anything else......

It's not YOUR job to find him 'suitable mates'... but rather breeders need to want to use HIM.

IMHO, a guality dog who is visible to the breed community needs little promotion.

ETA - WHY does the breeder think he would make a great stud dog?

Edited by jerojath

Your breeder is the one who you should be seeking advice from.

If they sold you a male for stud work they are the ones who bets now there lines & what there faults & weakness are .

You need to now your own dogs faults aswell

You need to get the health tests done hips/elbows etc etc & ensure he has good dentition & above all is worthy of being used at stud.just because they where sold as suitable doesnt mean they are.

Basically you need to understand what your dog has to offer the breed & why people would wish to use him especially as your in NT.

Also be aware that at present the Am Staff people are about to fight some new legal aspects in QLD that could affect the breed nationally for the worse

Here's the Amstaff thread:

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=75473

Lots of people in there will be around to answer your questions. :laugh:

And the Amstaff breed 101 thread:

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=173200

The main questions you have to ask yourself are these: Is he ANKC registered? Is he on the main register?

If you answered no to one or both of them, the simple answer is you shouldn't breed from your dog. There are a lot of amstaffs out there (285 alone listed on Dogzonline) and you're not doing your boy a favour by trying to stud him out if he hasn't got the pedigree to back him up. The best advertisement for him is to put him in the show ring or do another dog sport with him. I have rarely seen people use a dog/bitch for a mating that hasn't at least made an appearance in the ring. If he is worth breeding from, someone will ask you if they can use him for a litter.

ETA: Showdog's advice is fantastic - a wealth of knowledge. :)

Edited by ~*Shell*~

Maybe pop into the Amstaff thread and chat with some knowledgeable folk there who can guide you with relation to relevant health testing etc.

Is he ANKC registered? If so, is he on the main register? Do you show your dog? so many questions before anything else......

It's not YOUR job to find him 'suitable mates'... but rather breeders need to want to use HIM.

IMHO, a guality dog who is visible to the breed community needs little promotion.

Hi There,

Thank you for your help. He is registered, he will be shown within the next month or so. We will get health checks etc done soon then, I guess the show people will also be able to help us there.

Well the breeder was only a new breeder, this was her first litter, maybe she just meant he would be good because he is a nice colour.

Hi There,

Thank you for your help. He is registered, he will be shown within the next month or so. We will get health checks etc done soon then, I guess the show people will also be able to help us there.

Well the breeder was only a new breeder, this was her first litter, maybe she just meant he would be good because he is a nice colour.

Show him,enjoy him & then consider the stud aspect.

get to now your dog & his faults.there is no rush for stud work & reality is many dogs are never used at stud .

Stud work should only be considered for the betterment & often it means saying NO more than YES

Your breeder is the one who you should be seeking advice from.

If they sold you a male for stud work they are the ones who bets now there lines & what there faults & weakness are .

You need to now your own dogs faults aswell

You need to get the health tests done hips/elbows etc etc & ensure he has good dentition & above all is worthy of being used at stud.just because they where sold as suitable doesnt mean they are.

Basically you need to understand what your dog has to offer the breed & why people would wish to use him especially as your in NT.

Also be aware that at present the Am Staff people are about to fight some new legal aspects in QLD that could affect the breed nationally for the worse

Thank you,

I have emailed my breeder. We will get health checks done soon, there is one other Amstaff at the shows and I think there is at least one other breeder in Darwin ;)

Yeah bloody Qld, an Amstaff is basically a Pitbull but Amstaffs have been breed for showing for hundreds of years, they're nature is very different though I believe it comes down to the owner.

Thanks again.

Hi There,

Show him,enjoy him & then consider the stud aspect.

get to now your dog & his faults.there is no rush for stud work & reality is many dogs are never used at stud .

Stud work should only be considered for the betterment & often it means saying NO more than YES

Yeah thanks again,

I think the only reason we've started thinking about it now is because the dog whisperer says, males can get sexually frustrated and should mate at least twice a year once they hit maturity. He is very calm normally though and very well behaved. We will just have to keep him away from certain males.

I think the only reason we've started thinking about it now is because the dog whisperer says, males can get sexually frustrated and should mate at least twice a year once they hit maturity.

Omph - what crap. Sorry, not directed at you but that dog whisperer is full of it.

Lovely looking boy. ;)

Yeah thanks again,

I think the only reason we've started thinking about it now is because the dog whisperer says, males can get sexually frustrated and should mate at least twice a year once they hit maturity. He is very calm normally though and very well behaved. We will just have to keep him away from certain males.

No offence but that is the worst reason i have heard for breeding .

I am surprised he actually said that .

will ask on his FB page about that one.

Edit I have had aquick look through some info & no mention of using any dog at stud but emphasis on breeds hitting an age phase & behaviour to look out for during sexual maturiy

Edited by showdog

Some dogs handle their hormones fine and some do not BUT producing puppies to an already over saturated market because you think your dog needs sex is pretty irresponsible.

If you think he needs 'relief' then do it via hand or take him to the Vet to get him relieved but I think your Vet will look at your equally as strangely.

Your dog may not even be good enough to be bred, you really need to research this alot more, there are a huge amount of Staffy Breeders already.

Edited by sas

Yeah thanks again,

THAT is a very dangerous thing to say and the man who said it must be an idiot. Not only is it complete codswallop, it gives EVERY tom, dick and harry an excuse to go off and mate their dogs due to sexual frustration! And with the pounds already overflowing ... :rofl:

Look, do your research. The breed standard is your bible as well as your breeder's. Read it, memorise it, most importantly apply it to your dog. As your breeder is new they might not interpret the standard in the appropriate way. Plus their ideals and ideas of breed perfection may change - I know mine have changed a bit. See your dog's faults and merits and think how putting him out to stud may better the breed - as has been previously said (and needs to be said again it is so important) - it often means saying NO to people more than saying YES. Show him and see how he fares against his peers - if he does well in teh showring this would be all the advertising you will need. As others have said, carry out all appropriate health checks. Lastly, as someone once said to me very early on in the piece - just because you've put him at stud doesn't mean people will want to use him! Harsh but very true.

Good luck with your boy, he does look a handsome man :)

I can tell you I have an entire 5 year old male who has never done it and lives with an entire bitch. Gets a bit whiny, knows nothing is coming and gets over it quickly. They dont have to breed, dogs really dont get sexual frustration unless you have them living with a kennel full of bitches on heat all the time!

Yeah thanks again,

THAT is a very dangerous thing to say and the man who said it must be an idiot. Not only is it complete codswallop, it gives EVERY tom, dick and harry an excuse to go off and mate their dogs due to sexual frustration! And with the pounds already overflowing ... :rofl:

Look, do your research. The breed standard is your bible as well as your breeder's. Read it, memorise it, most importantly apply it to your dog. As your breeder is new they might not interpret the standard in the appropriate way. Plus their ideals and ideas of breed perfection may change - I know mine have changed a bit. See your dog's faults and merits and think how putting him out to stud may better the breed - as has been previously said (and needs to be said again it is so important) - it often means saying NO to people more than saying YES. Show him and see how he fares against his peers - if he does well in teh showring this would be all the advertising you will need. As others have said, carry out all appropriate health checks. Lastly, as someone once said to me very early on in the piece - just because you've put him at stud doesn't mean people will want to use him! Harsh but very true.

Good luck with your boy, he does look a handsome man :laugh:

Ah thank you very much. I am starting to understand now which is all I was after. I have never even owned a dog, let alone a pure breed and certainly didn't understand the importance of knowing what my dog has to offer the breed.

In the Dog Whisperers defence, he had said ideally people should neuter their dogs but if not then naturally, if they were in a pack they would mate at least twice a year as this is how often females come on heat and just like most males animals if they don't mate they can get frustrated.

I can tell you I have an entire 5 year old male who has never done it and lives with an entire bitch. Gets a bit whiny, knows nothing is coming and gets over it quickly. They dont have to breed, dogs really dont get sexual frustration unless you have them living with a kennel full of bitches on heat all the time!

Ok thanks for that. I will get him into agility training as well which should keep his mind off it, he is a very happy, balanced dog anyway, its just that we have never had a dog before so wasn't sure how it would all go. Certainly won't neuter him though.

I think the only reason we've started thinking about it now is because the dog whisperer says, males can get sexually frustrated and should mate at least twice a year once they hit maturity.

Omph - what crap. Sorry, not directed at you but that dog whisperer is full of it.

Lovely looking boy. :rofl:

Oh thank you and in the Dog Whisperers defence, he had said ideally people should neuter their dogs but if not then naturally, if they were in a pack they would mate at least twice a year as this is how often females come on heat and just like most males animals if they don't mate they can get frustrated.

Some dogs handle their hormones fine and some do not BUT producing puppies to an already over saturated market because you think your dog needs sex is pretty irresponsible.

If you think he needs 'relief' then do it via hand or take him to the Vet to get him relieved but I think your Vet will look at your equally as strangely.

Your dog may not even be good enough to be bred, you really need to research this alot more, there are a huge amount of Staffy Breeders already.

Eww no thanks, he can just go without until perhaps we find that he is a good contribution to the breed and someone wants to use him as a stud.

He is a very happy well balanced dog so I'm sure he'll be fine.

Also he is not just a Staffy and we're in Darwin where I think there is currently only one breeder, as our breeder left town so you never know :rofl:

I will get him through the tests and get him into the show ring, if he doesn't enjoy that, I will get him onto agility courses.

Yeah thanks again,

No offence but that is the worst reason i have heard for breeding .

I am surprised he actually said that .

will ask on his FB page about that one.

Edit I have had aquick look through some info & no mention of using any dog at stud but emphasis on breeds hitting an age phase & behaviour to look out for during sexual maturiy

No the Dog Whisperer actully said ideally people should neuter their dogs but if not then naturally, if they were in a pack they would mate at least twice a year as this is how often females come on heat and just like most males animals if they don't mate they can get frustrated which can lead to aggression.