Keeping Mozzies Off The Dogs When Outside

Kayann

Hi,

When the dogs are outside with us, the mozzies are all over them. Is there anything I can buy to put on them, or spray around them so that the mozzies don't bite them.

They are both Ridgebacks, 6 years old.

Thanks in advance.

Kath

Rufus and Coco make a spray called 'Bug Off' that is supposed to repell them. I have a bottle here that I bought for my Ridgie but I've never used it so I can't tell you if it works or not. Perhaps I should though, he doesn't get bitten all that often but when he does you can really see the lumps come up!

It does have a strong citronella fragrance though which I wonder whether would bother the dogs :laugh:

Be careful about using human spray, I made that mistake with the malinut at work one night, they were trying to carry him away! I had nothing else with me so I sprayed my spray onto his legs where the shorter fur is cause that's where they were all over him (about 10 up each leg) - it worked to keep the mozzies off him but he reacted pretty badly to it, big nasty red welts all over his legs and he lost a fair bit of fur... I kept the illium cream up and it went down really quickly but took a few weeks to properly heal and he is still missing patches of fur :(

Guest bigdogg

baby oil, dettol, citronella oil, pyrethrin, eucalyptus oil

cheaper than repelx and does the job..