Gloves Question

Most errors in retrieving games, is due to handler error/pointing. Our bodies tend to curve over the dogs, without us noticing the significance. Possibly straighten your body, or have an experienced person (as I have had on many occasions) behind you, checking if your and THE DOG'S alignment(tail, body, brain) is correct.

That's so right, Lablover.

I also found that I need to have my feet pointing along the right line, because if I over turn or under turn she'll run out in line with my feet!

That's why I was talking about making a diagram of correct foot placement after the turns, and practising them by myself, ie without the dog.

I draw them on the path, or paint them on the grass.

luvsablue & beckie the blue dog

Back to practicing about turns with no glove to get straight ahead focus.

As you mentioned retrieving is strong/rewarding, why practice about turns with no reward/glove?

Are you placing all three articles in EXACTLY the same position? What is wind direction? Try raising glove one and three on a stick or whatever helps for your dog to focus. Spread the gloves? Try a Noon, 3 o'clock drill, 6 o'clock, 9 o'oclock drill/game (you in the middle). Shorter distance to gloves may help also, as others have indicated? Making one and three impossible to retrieve/non rewarding (depending on dog).

Number one question: We..ask..ourselves in retrieving circles, do dogs lie...?

When your dog is in EXCELLENT heel position, does she focus on the glove you indicate? Watch the eyes CAREFULLY!! I vocal cue good, when correct and have no hesitation due to training-game history, saying NO.

So many questions sorry. Are all the the gloves the same white or fabric?

I like the sound of the clock game - that could be something we could try. Would it be okay to replace the glove I am indicating with a ball or dummy so that when she goes to the correct position(future glove) she gets instant strong reward? A bit like the food/target plate people talk about on here. I am thinking this may aid in training that locking in process. She can be told no in a retrieve pulled off whatever it is with to date no ill effects.

The gloves are all identical. She appears to be focussed on the correct glove but halfway out will veer off to the glove in number two position. Really want to conquer this as I think we would be hopeless at food refusal. :)

Edit to add have booked in for a lesson next week with an experienced trainer to pull us apart and hopefully put us back togethor again so that we are functioning properly. :)

Edited by kathq

I like the sound of the clock game - that could be something we could try. Would it be okay to replace the glove I am indicating with a ball or dummy so that when she goes to the correct position(future glove) she gets instant strong reward?

Absolutely, place a whole stack of them, in one place. That said, some dogs pick up one, drop it, pick up another, and drop it......etc etc, not so much a problem if you have a good recall. Start short distances.