Irritated Eye. What Could It Be

Yesterday Oberon got out of his run which is not a big deal as the outer yard is fenced but i have no idea what may have irritated his eye. We got home and it was a little red in the white area and a bit gunky. Its worse this morning. Its weeping a fair bit. So I'll be making an appointment at the vets but in the meantime is there anything i can do to sooth it? Do dogs get conjunctivitis like humans because its kind of like that. definitely in both eyes.

I've previously been advised to bathe the eye with a very weak salt water solution.

If possible use saline solution for contact lenses

I've used a cotton ball being very careful not to cross contanimate the eyes and washing your hands carefully before and after touching the area as it could be conjunctivitis, which is very contagious.

Isn't it typical when things like this happen on a public holiday.

I once spent Christmas morning driving 200kms (400 return) to a vet for a dog with a scratched eye.

If you have any saline solution in the house I would be using that or you could use some cooled boiled water.

Dogs do get conjunctivitis, so it could be that. He also could have just got some dirt in it that has irritated him and you need to flush it out.

Hope he gets better soon.

i really am hoping it doesn't need a vet visit. I flushed it and it seems a bit better already. It is equally bad in both eyes. Would it be safe to leave it a day to see how it goes do you think or really go the vet visit. I doubt its a scratch since its both eyes. He's running around fine outside.

i really am hoping it doesn't need a vet visit. I flushed it and it seems a bit better already. It is equally bad in both eyes. Would it be safe to leave it a day to see how it goes do you think or really go the vet visit. I doubt its a scratch since its both eyes. He's running around fine outside.

If it was me (and I can't afford the public holiday rate today!) I would wait till tomorrow and then go to the vet if it hasn't cleared up. Just keep rinsing it out if it's not worrying him at all.

Ruff had gunky eyes a couple of weeks ago when it was really windy, probably just dirt. I just used saline solution for three days and it cleared up fine.

thanks everyone! His eyes are looking a lot better now so we wont be going to the vet today. I think it was like when we humans get conjunctivitis. it always looks a lot worse in the morning and then clears up

Sounds like conjuntivitis (particularly as it's in both eyes) but you'll want to get it checked out by the vet to make sure.

Provided he's not in any pain there shouldn't be a problem waiting it out for a day or two until the vet re-opens (are the vets open tomorrow?).

If it were me I'd not be using salt water as it can irritate the eyes even more (though the saline solution you can buy from the chemists is probably okay). Cooled boiled cammomile or calendula tea is excellent though, just squeeze a little into the eyes using a cotton ball every few hours and be sure to make up a fresh batch each time. I've used this on my cat, dog, child and myself and found it to clear up mild cases of conjuctivitis without an issue.

Hopefully it is nothing to worry about :)

Cooled boiled cammomile or calendula tea is excellent though, just squeeze a little into the eyes using a cotton ball every few hours and be sure to make up a fresh batch each time. I've used this on my cat, dog, child and myself and found it to clear up mild cases of conjuctivitis without an issue.

This is what i use too...you can use normal black tea as well - obviously as long as it's cooled! Works brilliantly for minor irritations (eg as a wash) and for conjunctivitis :)

Cooled boiled cammomile or calendula tea is excellent though, just squeeze a little into the eyes using a cotton ball every few hours and be sure to make up a fresh batch each time. I've used this on my cat, dog, child and myself and found it to clear up mild cases of conjuctivitis without an issue.

This is what i use too...you can use normal black tea as well - obviously as long as it's cooled! Works brilliantly for minor irritations (eg as a wash) and for conjunctivitis :)

I use Colloidal Silver on my dogs eyes as he gets a lot of gunk from allergies.

Sounds like conjuntivitis (particularly as it's in both eyes) but you'll want to get it checked out by the vet to make sure.

Provided he's not in any pain there shouldn't be a problem waiting it out for a day or two until the vet re-opens (are the vets open tomorrow?).

If it were me I'd not be using salt water as it can irritate the eyes even more (though the saline solution you can buy from the chemists is probably okay). Cooled boiled cammomile or calendula tea is excellent though, just squeeze a little into the eyes using a cotton ball every few hours and be sure to make up a fresh batch each time. I've used this on my cat, dog, child and myself and found it to clear up mild cases of conjuctivitis without an issue.

Hopefully it is nothing to worry about :laugh:

+1

we had a poodle come in to the kennels with this as his treatment as a just in case something happens as he is sensitive and of course something happened - it was windy! Well i love the treatment as it ia all natural and works a treat!! He had cleared up and was feeling much better after a day or so, we have used it on some other dogs at home as well and im a huge fan ;)