Canon Cameras Sent For Repairs

rubiton

Just wondering how long others have experienced between dropping the camera in to be sent away and actually seeing the camera again?

Only time I ever sent one off it was gone for over 3 months and apparently waiting a month for approval after a quote (which had been approved for repair as soon as it was received but message was lost) - canon rep assures me at that time it was due to a massive stuff up in a changeover of computer systems and its much 'faster' now.

Well, not a camera but my 50mm lens was gone almost a month last July and the very same lens is back there again now, I think I posted it on March 7th this time. :cry: No word from them as to when I can expect it back. I will contact them in a couple of days to see. sigh...........

A month a could cope with, 5 weeks is cutting it close and 6 weeks is past the big raceday. The 50D will go next under warranty but once I have a working camera back I will be a lot happier (50D takes photos in focus sometimes - its better with IS off and with athe microadjustment but not good enough for what it should be able to do Im considering trying and seeing how I am at manual focus of a moving object after not having to try that for about 7 years!). The fact that only a handful work makes me think Im taking pics like I did 15 years ago but Im hoping those handful are enough to get by for now. I do have the little 350D as the back up but I dont want to overwork that camera.

My 40D stopped responding every time to the shutter - it was intermittent and no amount of battery changes, hot, cold, different lens etc was making a massive difference. I had been planning to send it off in May after the big raceday but after the weekend decided it wasnt worth waiting and one camera had to go so the one that takes focused shots but may not respond to the shutter went - last time this happened it was the 10D with a similar intermittent fault. Turned out to be the shutter and once it was sent back it was all nice and clean and firmware updated can only hope this wonderful camera is repaired and returned like that too.

I just had the same issue with my 40D as you did with yours.

Wasnt under warranty though. Michaels and Teds told me 5-7 weeks. I found out who they sent it to and went direct.

Had my camera back in a week and a half!

Hope you get get it back soon!

A month a could cope with, 5 weeks is cutting it close and 6 weeks is past the big raceday. The 50D will go next under warranty but once I have a working camera back I will be a lot happier (50D takes photos in focus sometimes - its better with IS off and with athe microadjustment but not good enough for what it should be able to do Im considering trying and seeing how I am at manual focus of a moving object after not having to try that for about 7 years!). The fact that only a handful work makes me think Im taking pics like I did 15 years ago but Im hoping those handful are enough to get by for now. I do have the little 350D as the back up but I dont want to overwork that camera.

My 40D stopped responding every time to the shutter - it was intermittent and no amount of battery changes, hot, cold, different lens etc was making a massive difference. I had been planning to send it off in May after the big raceday but after the weekend decided it wasnt worth waiting and one camera had to go so the one that takes focused shots but may not respond to the shutter went - last time this happened it was the 10D with a similar intermittent fault. Turned out to be the shutter and once it was sent back it was all nice and clean and firmware updated can only hope this wonderful camera is repaired and returned like that too.

That happened with our 40D then one day it stopped working completely.

Apparently it was out 18-55 mm kit lens that killed it. It cost about $80 for the repair.

Just wondering how long others have experienced between dropping the camera in to be sent away and actually seeing the camera again?

I took a lens in for repair. I picked it up within 10 days and had email notifications from them the entire time - couldnt be happier with the customer service. That's a bugger about your experience.

Its gone to Canon in Sydney - there is the extra cost for the courier as well as whatever the repairs will cost (apparently they will advise quote through the shop I put it in with and then fix it). So add a week or so for being non Sydney based.

Ashanali - thats what my fear was that it would stop working right when I was trying to take photos of an important race. I was able to get by at the equestrian event as once it was taking pics I could do the burst mode style - not my preferred option but gave me the photos I needed. It had been doing it now and again but once a month is not a problem but 50-70 times in one day was a problem. And I did get a lot of photos through it in mad march week.

The 50D can go away under warranty and they can send it back once its fixed and can show its as good as the 40D which people tell me its suppose to be.