Pet Dog Rosco Strangled While Being Groomed

SwaY

More likely one person was doing the front legs or something and someone else was holding the dog around its throat.

That's what I was thinking. Holding the dog around it's throat to stop it from squirming and held it too hard.

Poor dog :(

Pamela White and Rebecca Haire from Telford, Shropshire, had held terrified Rosco by the throat as he struggled and accidentally strangled him.

Personally I think their story is full of holes. A dog becomes unconscious before it stops breathing. And yet they'd have us believe they continued to hold him AFTER he stopped struggling?

Fell off a grooming table while left unattended on a noose? Now that I'd believe. Of course that puts all the blame on them and none on the dog.

+ 1

Perhaps it's just me, but I can't even imagine leaving my girl all by herself in a situation with strangers where she was terrified of them!

You'll stay with her if she has to stay overnight at the vet?????

Perhaps it's just me, but I can't even imagine leaving my girl all by herself in a situation with strangers where she was terrified of them!

I think leaving your dog at a Vet, is a lot different than leaving your dog with some person who grooms dogs. Vets have to go to Uni for years, dog groomers don't, silly comparison.

I think leaving your dog at a Vet, is a lot different than leaving your dog with some person who grooms dogs. Vets have to go to Uni for years, dog groomers don't, silly comparison.

Agreed.

Unless you know the groomer VERY well you never know what goes on behind closed doors.

I'm not saying there aren't some wonderful groomers out there, my mum used to be one but there are some shady ones.

All of my mums clients used to leave the dogs at her house and then come pick them up later because they trusted her completely. After a few visits most of the dogs actually liked coming to see her!

I actually saw one of my own dogs on a grooming table and was terrified because she tried to stand up when she saw me through the doorway and I said "quick quick, she'll fall off the table and strangle herself".

It was so dangerous and I could see how easily it would happen. My grooming friends have since told me that it is an absolute no no to leave a dog unguarded in that position but in a busy salon or where a person steps away to answer the phone etc etc and didn't follow proper procedures, I could see it happening.

Yes, Rozzie, if she was terrified then I would want to stay with her overnight. If she were happy and comfortable there, I'd be fine to leave her.

I certainly don't ever leave her there for them to do scary or painful procedures on while I'm gone. Too much risk that she'll panic and hurt them, or that they'll panic and scare her further.

And I trust my vet far more than most groomers, especially a groomer that had never worked on my dog before.

Firstly - poor puppy.

Secondly - having worked as a groomer for years - it is well known that the majority of smaller dogs are little shits to groom and the big dogs are a breeze. Why ? because their owners train and discipline them - the little dogs get away with murder !

Still, there is no reason I can think of to restrain a dog in this way. If we had a really bad case where you just couldn't touch them without the dog having a heart attack and trying to kill you then we would ring the owner and tell them, flatly that the dog would need to go to a vet to be sedated and groomed.

But generally you can get around it - this is why groomers have alot of equipment - most bad dogs we had were generally 'top and tummied' - double arm on table and soft noose on neck and tummy, they were then muzzled and if they were really bad their rear feet were raised off the table slightly. Thats all it takes - take the weight off their rear legs and they lose their power to fight you. By the time you got to their head they were tired of not winning and would just stand there and let you finish. (A dog with a muzzle on was constantly checked and given breaks if need be for a drink also). When you finish and they let you handle then without having a go then they would get treats and cuddles - they soon learn, I don't believe any dog is stupid - some just take more patience than others ;).

Also, golden rule in grooming - NO DOG IS LEFT ON A TABLE UNATTENDED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF.

I hope these people are never allowed to work with animals in any capacity ever again.

Secondly - having worked as a groomer for years - it is well known that the majority of smaller dogs are little shits to groom and the big dogs are a breeze. Why ? because their owners train and discipline them - the little dogs get away with murder !

What a stupid statement. Talk about being prejudiced against small dogs :cry: . I cant believe you work with dogs with an attitude like this. This dog was a PUPPY getting it's first clip for heavens sake!!

Have you never considered there may be other reasons that (as you perceive) smaller dogs are harder to groom? Dogs bred for companionship and not for working may have a lower tolerance to pain, may be less trusting of strangers, may be more likely to have had bad grooming experiences in the past (I bet the groomers in this story would not have attempted the same 'tactics' with a large dog due to the likelyhood of getting bitten).

Anyone else want to put the boot into groomers?

This is one very awful situation and an unacceptable result BUT lets keep it in perspective - who knows hw many dogs go to groooming salons every week across Australia, have an unstressful experience and come home beuatifully groomed and happy.

No dog should ever be terrified or panicked at a groomers - please don't lump us all in the same boat, some of us are very caring and go to great lengths to ensure our dogs are happy and relaxed during their grooming.

What a stupid statement. Talk about being prejudiced against small dogs :( . I cant believe you work with dogs with an attitude like this. This dog was a PUPPY getting it's first clip for heavens sake!!

Have you never considered there may be other reasons that (as you perceive) smaller dogs are harder to groom? Dogs bred for companionship and not for working may have a lower tolerance to pain, may be less trusting of strangers, may be more likely to have had bad grooming experiences in the past (I bet the groomers in this story would not have attempted the same 'tactics' with a large dog due to the likelyhood of getting bitten).

Did you actually read the rest of my post ? Regardless of smaller dogs being spoilt rotten and often ruined by the majority of their owners we always took the time to ensure that their experience with us was a positive one.

• 3 weeks later...
I've also left her at a kennel when I was hospitalised. She was shaking but relatively happy when I picked her up and it has done her the world of good - she was more confident of strangers.

Hey Megan :rofl:

:thumbsup: (and what a horrible, tragic topic it is :rofl:) .... but I want to assure you that your girl did not shake the whole time during her stay at the kennels. In fact, during my time working with her she didn't shake - she actually just got on with her training and had her little exploration around the exercise yard - admittedly, she didn't want to do tricks like your other guy will willingly and happily do, but she did her sits and little recalls etc, and enjoyed the food treats I gave her. But yes, she was shaking a bit when I brought her out (mind you, I was holding her ..... which is a bit of a first and IMO a major step forward - couldn't have done that not so long ago). She is shy, as we both know, but I don't want you to think she spent the whole time being a nervous wreck.

Edited by Erny