> flame retardants and mite control! It is designed to be come a gel. It

> is highly toxic. Now you would think a child's toy would be safe because

> it is for children, but they don't expect a child to eat the stuffing of

> the toys... huummmm that seems a bit scary too. But we all know dogs

> demolish stuffed toys.

>

> So do not give or buy your dog any children's stuffed animals... some

> people get them at goodwill etc. The vet will be posting a warning and

> story and I will send any other facts as needed and as I learn more.

> Maybe some children's toys do not have this ingredient, but better to be

> safe then sorry. So meanwhile, make sure all your dog toys are for

> dogs. Please pass this on... it is a horrible death she described and

> one that can be avoided.

>

>

>

>

>

I appreciate that many materials used for clothing soft toys etc are often treated with chemicals. Formaldehyde being one of them (google it for drtails of this chemical) There fore I always wash any soft toys and clothing purchased for myself to reduce any traces of this.

I often buy toys from second stores and markets for my dogs as they destroy them often and buying them from pet stores is very costly.

The biggest warning I could give is to not give stuffed toys that have sewn on hard noses or eyes. These are chewed off very quickly and become lodged in throats and intestines just as easily. I specifically look for really strong materials and stitching also.

I purchase 2nd hand toys for the dogs.

I have never found anything other than the normal white or coloured stuffing. (hate having to go around the yard to pick it up) :confused:

But in this day and age who knows ????????????????

Geez my dogs must have killed hundreds of stuffed toys in their lives, they havent been harmed. The only harm has been white stuff all over the house.

I always buy second hand ones, that have been used well.

And I wash mine in hot water, surely the "said" stuffing would turn to gelatin then..........

I suspect this post fits into the 'myths' category. USA legislation comes down like a load of bricks on anything that might -- even with the remotest possibility -- be fatal to children. If someone's putting really toxic fire retardants [for Christ's sake, stuffed animals are not a big contributor to fire hazard] into children's toys, I'd expect that the powers that protect children would have given them a kick (of the $$ kind)where it hurts. I'm not ready to give up buying the $1 special from the Good Sammies that I've been giving my pups for many years now.

I appreciate that many materials used for clothing soft toys etc are often treated with chemicals. Formaldehyde being one of them (google it for drtails of this chemical) There fore I always wash any soft toys and clothing purchased for myself to reduce any traces of this.

Bad thing is that alot of cleaners and detergents in Australia contain Formaldehyde!!!!

I suspect this post fits into the 'myths' category. USA legislation comes down like a load of bricks on anything that might -- even with the remotest possibility -- be fatal to children. If someone's putting really toxic fire retardants [for Christ's sake, stuffed animals are not a big contributor to fire hazard] into children's toys, I'd expect that the powers that protect children would have given them a kick (of the $$ kind)where it hurts. I'm not ready to give up buying the $1 special from the Good Sammies that I've been giving my pups for many years now.

Neither am I, and I put it on the list. Better to be aware with a heads up, than sorry later on. :)