Horse Feed; Dog Food

Erny

Furthre investigations... Cockatiel SEED Budgie SEED Wild Bird MIX Parrot MIX Lorikeet FOOD Large Bird MIX

that's not totally true Rozzie - I went to the supermarket just now, and checked the Trill - it says Bird FOOD.

Furthre investigations... Cockatiel SEED Budgie SEED Wild Bird MIX Parrot MIX Lorikeet FOOD Large Bird MIX

that's not totally true Rozzie - I went to the supermarket just now, and checked the Trill - it says Bird FOOD.

ETA - how dare Erny just leave us like that???

Now does supermarket food differentiate between bird types?

I'll have a look tomorrow - from what I remember most is parot, wild bird, "mix", but the Trill stood out.

I will take pen and paper (or camera) tomorrow!

ETA - how dare Erny just leave us like that???

:) Haven't left - just had to focus on other things (the more mundane being some internet host issues). But I've been watching and reading the posts in the meanwhile. I couldn't leave you all alone like that ......

Bringing the word Bird "mix" into the equation really is going off the tangent a little though. "Mix" describes that it is a mix of seed variety. It is a description of what food/feed it is. Now, if it said "Bird Mix Feed" then that would go back to my opening post and I'd still be asking "why"?

Now, Wiki tells us the definition for "Fodder" is :

"In agriculture, fodder or animal feed is any foodstuff that is used specifically to feed domesticated livestock such as cattle, goats, sheep, horses, chickens and pigs. Most animal feed is from plants but some is of animal origin. "Fodder" refers particularly to food given to the animals (including plants cut and carried to them), rather than that which they forage for themselves (see forage). It includes hay, straw, silage, compressed and pelleted feeds, oils and mixed rations, and also sprouted grains and legumes.

The worldwide animal feed industry consumed 635 million tons of feed (compound feed equivalent) in 2006, with an annual growth rate of about 2%. The use of agricultural land to grow feed rather than human food can be controversial; some types of feed, such as corn (maize), can also serve as human food, while others such as grass cannot. Some agricultural by-products which are fed to animals may be considered unsavory by human consumers."

Note throughout the text there is the switch between the use of the word "feed" and "food" - I've highlighted them to make it clearer/easier.

But it still begs the question raised.

ETA: Actually, I think it explains it and it is what someone here has already thought. IE That "Feed" relates to the feeding of farm livestock. "Food" seems to relate to humans and the more closely aligned to family type pets such as cats and dogs. Hhhhmm. Wonder why anyone thought there needed to be a difference in terms to differentiate, though.

Edited by Erny