Puppy Testing For Dog Sports

I really research the parents, grandparents etc. Find out what sort of dogs they are. Then if I am happy with all that I am not too fussed which actual puppy I get.

I did go and look at Poppy's litter armed with a test sheet. However Poppy left the other pups and bolted meters to get to me. She chucked herself at my feet and would not leave me the whole time I was there. I did a bit of a test but she had me.

Thats what I'm hoping will happen :kissbetter: I've done heaps of research and have been told the litters tend to be very even so I guess I can't go too far wrong!

I really research the parents, grandparents etc. Find out what sort of dogs they are. Then if I am happy with all that I am not too fussed which actual puppy I get.

I did go and look at Poppy's litter armed with a test sheet. However Poppy left the other pups and bolted meters to get to me. She chucked herself at my feet and would not leave me the whole time I was there. I did a bit of a test but she had me.

And in the end you make the best of whatever you get dealt :kissbetter: . After all they are a pet dog first competition dog second and sometimes its to hard to not let your heart rule even in the mostly carefully calculated decision making process.

Edited by ness

My instinct is to go for the naughty one who will retrieve!

:kissbetter: Want Ruby? :)

I always swore my next pup would be a laidback one as Ruby has been a handful, but you know what, I actually want another just like her! The cheeky one who is into everything, at least then they find training one big game and just really want to be there! I'm probably not going to get another Ruby if I stray from the Labrador to another breed, but the closest I will get is ensuring I pick a very outgoing one that is a little bit naughty ;) In the end, it's all chance anyway right? That and actually knowing how to train properly, which is where I still lack :laugh:

I always pick the naughty ones too! I bring a rag or something like that (a leash works too) along and drag it along the ground to look for puppies who have interest in toys and are keen to play with it or even tug it. I preffer to train dogs with toys and games rather than food so I look for that.

Another test that some people recommend is taking the puppy away from the litter, if possible to somewhere that the pup hasn't been before or not often and see what the pups confidence is like away from it's mates and in an unfamiliar environment. See if puppy will play there or show interest in food/toys and you etc.

I have a big thing about nerves, I want dogs that have strong nerves and aren't going to freak out about little things so this is pretty important to me. The last pup I had I bred myself so I had an advantage with the testing. But the next pup will be coming from someone else so I'll be putting these things into practice in a few months time myself!

I hope it's easy to pick your puppy!!

Steven Lindsay said for the military dog training program he was involved with years ago if they got a pup that retrieved naturally they were pretty excited. If he also dived into chasing a rag, they knew they had a great dog that would make it through the program. I found that quite interesting. Kivi did both those things... What happened?? :) Then again, Kivi did both those things at a leisurely amble whereas Erik has always been one to do these things as fast as he can, and then tug and shake the toy and start ripping bits off it. Kivi lacks alertness to my eyes. It's why we love him, but it's not surprising that he's a bit slow when he just doesn't notice things. He lives in a cloud, bless him. Erik is uber alert and latches onto anything that predicts things happening, whether good or bad. I've always thought of it as him being an especially opportunisitic dog. Kivi lets life happen to him, but Erik tries to manipulate everything to his benefit.

I'd be looking at a combination of the Volhard Puppy Test (basically tests for social confidence but does test for a retrieve), breeder observation and conformation.

No point in having the most resilient, drivey dog in the world if its likely to become unsound. :)

Erik sounds socially dominant, high drive and resilient to me Corvus. "Optimistic" to me suggests a dog must be aware of a range of possible future outcomes. I'm not sure they are. They live in here and now IMO.

Kivi is low drive. I suspect he notices everything. He just doesn't care that much.

Edited by poodlefan

Erik sounds socially dominant, high drive and resilient to me Corvus. "Optimistic" to me suggests a dog must be aware of a range of possible future outcomes. I'm not sure they are. They live in here and now IMO.

I don't want to diverge off topic too much, but "optimistic" in this sense doesn't require awareness of a range of possible future outcomes. Just a range of possible outcomes at any given moment. This translates to whether an animal is likely to try something new or stick with what it knows is a safe bet. That's the grossly simplified version. There are all sorts of things about depression and stress and environmental effects tied up in it. But what we do know is that some people are more prone to pessimism than others, and it appears that this may hold for other animals.

I have a 4 month old Aussie pup who is hopefully going to be a great little obedience/agility dog when she gets older. I'm an absolute novice so we'll see how we go :thumbsup:

One thing the breeder could tell me about Ava from a young age was that she was eager to please, this really stands out to me as a trait that will be good for training later. If I run around the yard pointing at places or items, she follows me enthusiastically, checks out or picks up the items, goes around things if I indicate, jumps into the garden beds if I've pointed to them, and generally does everything that's asked of her :)

She is definitely naughtier than we expected, and an absolute bundle of energy, but her desire to please makes her quite easy to live with most of the time ;)

Our older dog is definitely a "couldn't care less" dog so the difference between him and the puppy is amazing.

I think this choosing is where an good understanding of the lines comes in.

We have protective breed and I choose for confidence and intelligence 1st of all.So far I have found that pups showing a lot of persistent dominance with their litter mates don't neccesarily display the same dominance to their families/owners.At least it has not been a problem for us,maybe strong pack drives here?

It seems to relate more to the willingness to tackle a confrontion with this line.

I see strong nerves and confidence as the essential part in chosing a pup.I want to be able to take my dog anywhere with out him being intimidated.

I do watch closely tho' how they handle a reprimand,or say being held against their will.I expect them to accept this after the intitial struggle.

I would also expect a pup to chase a rag or toy and be willing to participate in games.

I like a dog who is very alert to their suroundings and I would say"happy" rather than optimistic and a dog who likes to be with you and thinks you are good fun!

I think this is a good thread that could benefit a lot of us for the observations people make.

All my dogs i have picked because i simply fell in love with that pup. The only dog i have had issues with and i honestly think dogs can get ADHD and not from a lack of training she really has issues we did the vollhand tests she passed all those with flying colours and according to that test she woul dhave been the most suitable one for trialling never again will i use those tests i believe if you love the dog you can really do almost anything with them of cause it might be a struggle but you have to be attached to them. One dog we adopted her and i just didn't gel training as a team just didn't happen she then went to live with friends who were stoked to have a dog that was trained to come sit drop stay heel etc she just would never make it as a trial dog too nervy but is fantastic for them and they love her too bits so good result for us all.

Agree 100%. If the breeding is what I want then it won't matter which pup, as they will be fairly consistent across the litter. Both my girls came from very consistent litters. I would have been happy to have any of the pups. Looking at them now as adults & knowing most of their siblings, they are all very similar in terms of structure & temperament & drive, even taking into account environmental factors.

If you ask 10 sheepdog people which pup they choose, 9 will tell you "whichever one is left".