Never Seen So Many Purebreds In Public In My Life.

pixie_meg

So Saturday, the kids and i went to the easter egg hunt at PetStock. So all the public had their dogs trotting around the store looking for easter eggs. Lots of fun but the interesting thing was that i did not see one crossbred dog instore at all. They don't sell dogs or cats at this store. We saw a St Bernard, a Samoyed, some fox terriers, plus some others.

So then i went down to Brissie to watch some hockey and went over to the local dog park at wavell heights near shaw park. I only saw 2 mixed breeds and one atleast was a rescue. The other dogs were 2 dalmations, 2 siberian huskies, one mini poodle, 2 labradors and a ridgeback. I also saw some large spaniel or setter type dog. I didn't get close enough to figure out what it was but it had a long brown(liver) and white coat. And was about 50-60cm tall i'd say. any ideas?

So it was just delightful to see so many purebreds and looking so healthy. Oberon had a lot of fun with them. Not one oodle seen all day. :laugh:

Good spotting, pixe.

I went to a doggie thing in the north-western suburbs this morning....& also only saw mostly purebreds. St Bernard, Dobie, Springer Spaniel, Fox Terrier, Poodle, Maltese, Cocker Spaniel etc. And of course our Tibetan Spaniels.

I wonder if owners of purebreds are more likely to take part in doggie social events than owners of oodles???? Would love to do a survey!

The American Kennel Club has a Purebred Pride Day each year, when owners of purebreds meet up all over the country to show & mingle.

I'd love to see a similar event here in Oz.

So then i went down to Brissie to watch some hockey and went over to the local dog park at wavell heights near shaw park. I only saw 2 mixed breeds and one atleast was a rescue. The other dogs were 2 dalmations, 2 siberian huskies, one mini poodle, 2 labradors and a ridgeback. I also saw some large spaniel or setter type dog. I didn't get close enough to figure out what it was but it had a long brown(liver) and white coat. And was about 50-60cm tall i'd say. any ideas?

LOL! That's our local park. I am often down at Shaw oval training one of the poochies. I was exceptionally hung over yesterday, so we just did some training indoors instead - can't believe we missed you!

LOL! That's our local park. I am often down at Shaw oval training one of the poochies. I was exceptionally hung over yesterday, so we just did some training indoors instead - can't believe we missed you!

i thought i had a chance of seeing you. i noticed in one of your pics the hockey nets and instantly knew where you were. Only found out late in the day that we were going down. i'll be going down again in a few weeks i'd say.

I also saw some large spaniel or setter type dog. I didn't get close enough to figure out what it was but it had a long brown(liver) and white coat. And was about 50-60cm tall i'd say. any ideas?

Perhaps an Irish Red and White Setter? :laugh: I don't know much about them though, not too sure about height.

I also saw some large spaniel or setter type dog. I didn't get close enough to figure out what it was but it had a long brown(liver) and white coat. And was about 50-60cm tall i'd say. any ideas?

Perhaps an Irish Red and White Setter? :laugh: I don't know much about them though, not too sure about height.

If an red and white is similar in face shape to the regular red then i'd say not. It was also brown, not red. hmm, off to look at pics.

oh and Huski, i'll be sure to let you know when i visit next.

just my 2cents worth mind.....

i think pb dogs in cities are becoming a fashion statement... the country areas... people often have lower incomes and can't see why a free dog should be des sexed, males especially.

when folks are tight for money they don't see the need.

just my 2cents worth mind.....

i think pb dogs in cities are becoming a fashion statement... the country areas... people often have lower incomes and can't see why a free dog should be des sexed, males especially.

when folks are tight for money they don't see the need.

I think you're right. We're on the rural Sunny Coast and most dogs are staffy crosses. We do have a fair few border collies too but not much else.

In Sydney, I mostly see oodles in the eastern suburbs - I only know of 3 in my area but a friend of mine's husband is a vet over the other side of town and he says 80% of his clients have oodles, he even has one himself. :laugh:

That being said, when we shot a promo over there last year, down in the doggie daycare they run they had 3 cocker spaniels, a japanese spitz, a maltese, 3 staffies, an amstaff, a pug, a beagle and a mini poodle. There were also the oodles but out of all of them that were there, there were more purebreds than oodles. From memory, there were 4 oodles. 2 cocker spaniel x poodles, a labrador x poodle and a maltese x poodle. Oh and a rescued terrier mix.

It's a little bit disturbing to see so many of them over that way.