Handling At Open Shows

RallyValley

So the scenario is that I got my appendix out on Thursday, I own a rare breed and thier is an open show tonight.

I am thinking of maybe attending the show but getting a friend to handle Lincoln for me, only he isn't a member of CAWA, is this allowed? I am obviously feeling up to sitting, walking around ect I just can't run BUT I think it would be a shame to not show Lincoln because the trainee judge tonight most probably won't have seen a Chesapeake before so it will be educational.

Thoughts?

(hmmm, well if you'd just gone along and done it, no one would have known if the handler was or wasn't a member of CAWA, but now you've announced it on a public forum.......)

Only members and their registered dogs are supposed to participate in events. So that means, handling/owning/exhibiting is by members and exhibits are all registered dogs owned by registered members.

You could get someone else to handle your dog who is a registered member. And you could also find out when the breed lecture is on for aspiring judges and take your dog along that night - then more than one aspiring judge will get to see your breed in the flesh and talk about it and have more of an understanding about the breed, before having to judge it.

Edited by nynka

Nynka thanks for the info :laugh: I honestly didn't know I have only been to 4 shows myself, so I am a total newb.

If I can't go its not the end of the world. And I have heard breed lectures won't look at dogs under 12 months (plus thier is no Chessie lecture scheduled this year)).

What a shame you're not in Qld, here non-members can exhibit in open shows.

106. Persons over 18 years of age who are not members of the CCC(Q) may enter or handle eligible dogs in CCC(Q) sanctioned events, eg, Open Shows, Parades, Obedience Sweepstakes, or Field Trial Sweepstakes.

The Chesie would be covered in one of the lectures, maybe there is just a lecture for retrievers? If it's the only example available, I'm sure they would welcome a dog under 12 months, but then there's always another time.

Edited by nynka