Compulsory Desexing

keroppiyo

Hi. I'm just wondering what everyone's views on compulsory desexing is? My council requires dogs and cats to be desexed before 3 months before they can be registered. I intend on having my dog desexed, but wasn't planning to do it so young (I got her when she was 3.5 months, so I would've had to desex her straight away). I rang up a few vets at the time asking what age they recommended desexing, and all said roughly at 6 months. I understand there are both pros and cons for desexing early, and that it can be done before 3 months. But should they be able to make it mandatory if owners don't feel comfortable having it done so early? I asked if I could pay the non-reduced registration fee to delay desexing, but that was not an option. It was either have her desexed and register her, or not register and risk copping a fine. In the end I decided to not register her and hope the council didn't find out (wrong I know). And fortunately I didn't go ahead with the procedure, as later it was recommended by our vet to desex her after her first heat due to medical reasons. I then went to the council 1-2 months after getting my dog, to register her with a letter from the vet.

I would not desex my dog that early and whilst I know I should register I wouldn't if that was the ruling - or I would register at an address outside my shire and say she was visiting.

I think enforcing that for the general population has some merit, however I do not see that I should have to do it as a responsible dog owner.

What exemptions to that ruling can you get? ie for show dogs etc?

Ours used to have compulsory desexing until they brought in compulsory microchipping and now, as long as the dog is microchipped, it doesn't have to be desexed. And even with compulsory desexing, if it was registered with a canine organisation, it could be registered entire. So the way around that is to register with your state body, and if the dog isn't pedigree, register as an associate.

Hi. I'm just wondering what everyone's views on compulsory desexing is? My council requires dogs and cats to be desexed before 3 months before they can be registered. I intend on having my dog desexed, but wasn't planning to do it so young (I got her when she was 3.5 months, so I would've had to desex her straight away). I rang up a few vets at the time asking what age they recommended desexing, and all said roughly at 6 months. I understand there are both pros and cons for desexing early, and that it can be done before 3 months. But should they be able to make it mandatory if owners don't feel comfortable having it done so early? I asked if I could pay the non-reduced registration fee to delay desexing, but that was not an option. It was either have her desexed and register her, or not register and risk copping a fine. In the end I decided to not register her and hope the council didn't find out (wrong I know). And fortunately I didn't go ahead with the procedure, as later it was recommended by our vet to desex her after her first heat due to medical reasons. I then went to the council 1-2 months after getting my dog, to register her with a letter from the vet.

Keropiyo

what council are you with?

Is it Frankston?

If so there is a vet who may be able to help you with your council and possibly having the council bylaw ammended.

Edited by lilli

According to their website:

A dog/cat that is owned by a person or body that conducts a domestic animal business registered with Council. Where the dog/cat is used for breeding purposes in connection with that business.

A Dangerous Dog that is kept for guarding non residential premises

A Dangerous Dog that has under gone protection training

A dog/cat that is the subject of written Veterinary advice that the health of the dog/cat is liable to be significantly prejudiced if it is desexed

A dog or cat that is owned by a person who is a current member of an applicable organisation and the animal is registered with that organisation (proof must be provided of both owners and dog/cat membership at the time of registration)

For some reason I hadn't thought of registering my dog with an organisation. I don't really plan to compete with her, so maybe that's why it didn't cross my mind.

Keropiyo

what council are you with?

Is it Frankston?

If so there is a vet who may be able to help you with your council and possibly having the council bylaw ammended.

No, I'm with City of Kingston, so nearby. When I called the office about compulsory desexing, I did ask if they consulted with vets and if that was what they recommended. The lady over the phone said yes.

It's not really an issue for me now, since I have a legit letter from my vet, which makes Buffy exempt.

I just feel that responsible owners will naturally do what's best, and don't need this enforced by law on them. BYBs could probably keep their dogs or cats away from council's knowledge, like I did for a couple of months.

register as an associate.

With Dogs West I know that to be registered as an associate dog they have to be desexed, not sure about the rest of Oz, but imagine it would be similar.

Ah both my dogs are registered as am I, so that would be okay.

Edited by Rommi n Lewis

VicDogs has associate membership, I would check to see if that kind of membership counts under the 'applicable organisation' clause (I am assuming it would, but its best just to double check). You can join as a full member if you wish - its not that expensive, and its not just for showies and breeders :laugh:

VicDogs has associate membership, I would check to see if that kind of membership counts under the 'applicable organisation' clause (I am assuming it would, but its best just to double check). You can join as a full member if you wish - its not that expensive, and its not just for showies and breeders :laugh:

I thought unregistered pure breeds and cross breeds had to be desexed. or is that only in NSW........

6.6 Registration of Associate Dogs – on Associate Register (10/07, 7.11)

6.6.1 As from 1 January 2008, it is compulsory PRIOR to the registration of an

Associate Dog on the National Database, that the application to register such

dog is accompanied by a Sterilisation Certificate.

6.6.2 The dog to be permanent identified (such as Microchip) and the permanent

identified number to be recorded on the Sterilisation Certificate.

Is that from the ANKC rules or a state site Showdog? I'm pretty sure I registered as an associate prior to my girl's desexing - but maybe I'm muddled.

Is that from the ANKC rules or a state site Showdog? I'm pretty sure I registered as an associate prior to my girl's desexing - but maybe I'm muddled.

ANKC ,this rule governs all states

According to their website:

A dog/cat that is owned by a person or body that conducts a domestic animal business registered with Council. Where the dog/cat is used for breeding purposes in connection with that business.

A Dangerous Dog that is kept for guarding non residential premises

A Dangerous Dog that has under gone protection training

A dog/cat that is the subject of written Veterinary advice that the health of the dog/cat is liable to be significantly prejudiced if it is desexed

A dog or cat that is owned by a person who is a current member of an applicable organisation and the animal is registered with that organisation (proof must be provided of both owners and dog/cat membership at the time of registration)

For some reason I hadn't thought of registering my dog with an organisation. I don't really plan to compete with her, so maybe that's why it didn't cross my mind.

I think the simplest sollution is to get a vet to cite possible negative effects of early de-sexing with a recomendation to wait until an appropriate age.

There is a solution.

You can have your dog sterilised either by tubal ligation for the girls or a vasectomy for the boys. This helps to retain the hormones that some breeds may need for growth and development and when they reach the appropriate age they can be fully desexed. Keep in mind that the girls will still have seasons but cant fall pregnant.

There is a breeder I know in South Australia that does it with her litters and as far as I know hasnt had any issues with it happening at a young age and I am currently furthering my research on it as I plan to do the same with those dogs out of my litter not going to show homes.

No rule for it in SA,as far as I know but I can't see whats wrong with it. Good idea. :)

There is a clause for exemption with a recommendation from the vet so that covers those who would be too old or not up to surgery & the larger breeds that would benefit from waiting the extra couple of months.

Registered breeders are exempt.

There is also vasectomies etc, as posted.

This may help solve a lot of problems & reduce the number of puppy farmers, dogs PTS & unwanted dogs.

I think the simplest sollution is to get a vet to cite possible negative effects of early de-sexing with a recomendation to wait until an appropriate age.

All my vet wrote in the letter was "We recommend that Buffy not be desexed until after her first season for medical reasons", and the council accepted that.