Bloat. Has Your Dog Bloated?

Jed

I would like to find out more about bloat. Read the scientific papers, read the theories, now am looking for some hands on. If your dog has bloated, I would be very grateful if you could answer some questions about it.

If I get a few replies,I'll post the results here. And maybe we'll all learn a little

What breed?

How old was the dog?

Was there a familial component?

What was the dog being fed? Need some detail of what exactly - if dry food, which one, if raw, what it was

How often was he fed? Once daily or more?

Was his bowl elevated, or on the ground?

What was he doing when he bloated? (ie, at a show, at home, playing, at home alone)

Has he bloated more than once?

Has he had a gastrowhatsit? LOL (too lazy to look it up, but you'll know :D )

Did he ever bloat after that?

Did the dog also suffer GDV

Did it have surgery?

What was done to relieve the bloat?

I might think of more questions later, but this about covers what I would like to know.

Edited by Jed

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What breed? -

Dobermann

How old was the dog?

7 with the first episode

Not that I am aware of

What was the dog being fed? Need some detail of what exactly - if dry food, which one, if raw, what it was

A mixture of dry and meat/rice

Once daily when The first episode happened twice daily after that.

On the ground initially, raised after first episode

What was he doing when he bloated? (ie, at a show, at home, playing, at home alone)

Crated and had been so since 10.30 the evening before. She woke me at 5am howling, looked normal was very bloated withing 10 minutes

Yes three times. Second time was over indulgence of raw meat and pasta

Third time broke into and ate dry Lupins

Has he had a gastrowhatsit? LOL (too lazy to look it up, but you'll know )

Yes she did after the the first occasion - GDV

Did he ever bloat after that?[/b]

Bloated but not tortioned

Yes the first time

Did it have surgery?

Yes 3 times

1st time - Initially passed a tube to decompress, the opened up and returned stomach and spleen to normal position and gastroplexy

2nd time, not sure was at breeders, but opened up and food removed.

3rd time - opened up and Lupins were removed from the stomach

Any more info required just ask. My second Dobe never had it happen. Be it good luck or good management I am not sure :D

Edited by Rommi n Lewis

I would like to find out more about bloat. Read the scientific papers, read the theories, now am looking for some hands on. If your dog has bloated, I would be very grateful if you could answer some questions about it.

If I get a few replies,I'll post the results here. And maybe we'll all learn a little

What breed?

Irish Wolfhound, stats from the last 15 years

How old was the dog?

1. 7years

2. 4.5 years

3. 10 or older (wolfhound X, rescue dog)

4. 6 years

Not immediate family, apart from number 4

1. optimum kibble & meat - bloated & torsioned shortly after meal

2. small handful of kibble as treat, had been drinking a fair bit of water

3. large recreational bone

4. chicken frames

All mine are fed twice daily, but number two had not had breakfast that day.

We feed with bowls on the ground

Mine are always rested before meals & after.

1. laying in bed sleeping after meal

2. on return from a show (was not being exhibited, in season and was happy in van & crate under the trees with me

3. laying in bed sleeping after chewing bone

4. laying in bed after meal

1. yes, first time was bloat & gdv with torsion surgery & gastroplexy, 2nd time a year later at eight years, was bloat only but pts due to poor recovery & tumours found on impaired liver :angel:

2. yes, first time bloat & gdv with unsuccessful attempts at decanting & tubing. torsion surgery & no gastroplexy, post operative infections and very slow recovery, 2nd time just over a year later, bloated four times over 36 hours & then torsioned - pts as very poor prognosis with suspected heart damage :D

3. No, once only bloat, but ultrasound revealed massive tumours on liver, kidneys and stomach, very old dog, vet recommended pts as thought the bloat was symptomatic of the large tumours in gastro system. :(

4. no, once only and just bloat, no GDV, surgery or gastroplexy, relieved by passing tube successfully. no reoccurance

Has he had a gastrowhatsit? LOL (too lazy to look it up, but you'll know :rofl: )

see above

I might think of more questions later, but this about covers what I would like to know.

I think you also need to include weather the dog also suffered GDV and if it had surgery or bloated and what was done to relieve the bloat.

fifi

Edited by fifi

Thanks, Rommi n Lewis, thanks fifi. I'll add those questions. They aren't relevant to what I want to know, but hopefully, if I get enough replies I can do a chart which might help us a bit. :D

Fifi, I have done a bit of research. I was reading something the other day regarding bloat, and it got the cogs grinding away ..... I don't suppose we will discover anything world shattering, but most of the studies I've read have had gneralised comments. I do realise that every case is different.

the Wycliffe poodles were cured of bloat by having their vaccinations split up (Jean Dodds). I wonder if the rabies vaccine, in combination with the others, does something to the system? That's not the purpose here though.

I just want to know what caused the bloat, or something similar each dog did.

Edited by Jed

What breed?

Pembroke Welsh Corgi

How old was the dog?

12.5yrs

No, and our very experienced breeder vet had never seen it in a PWC before. However some heavy Googling did bring up information of other PWC's (in USA) bloating in their senior years but certainly still a very rare occurrence.

1 cup Hills JD dry - same food/amount as she had had for the previous 2 years

Once daily at the same time as usual

on the ground (it is a Corgi after all!)

At home laying around whilst we were on computer/watching TV/asleep. No exercise after tea save for the usual toilet breaks.

No - she did not survive the first episode :D

Has he had a gastrowhatsit? LOL (too lazy to look it up, but you'll know :( )

as above

as above

I think it is also important to note that our girl was somewhat "quiet" that evening but nothing you could put your finger on and certainly none of the "usual" bloat symptoms. Was fed around 6pm, we went to bed about midnight and when we got up at 7am she was tucked in the back of her kennel and wouldn't come out. Coaxed her out and she looked like she had swallowed a football! Straight to the vet where they operated (she had also torsioned), she survived the surgery that morning but succumbed to shock in the evening of the next day :angel: She was otherwise in excellent health and did not look her age at all

How terribly sad for the dogs lost to this and their owners. I feel for you. Winpara, friend lost a dog in almost exactly the same way. Iread somewhere of a dacshund lost to bloat.

I'm sorry it's such a sad thing, and makes you think about something you'd rather forget., but am so grateful for the replies.

What breed?

Boxer

How old was the dog?

8yo

No

Eukanuba Premium, Raw meat, Raw bones

Twice

Elevated

Kenneled for the night, no exercise prior to or after feeding

it was a summer and quite warm so may have drunk more than normal that day

No

Has he had a gastrowhatsit? LOL (too lazy to look it up, but you'll know smile.gif )

Yes performed at time of surgery for this incident

NO

YES

Did it have surgery?

YES

Tubed then surgery

Edited by Crisovar

I listened to a podcast the other day (USA) that did a really good summary of reserarch to date - highlighted that the best indicator of potential to bloat was having a first degree relative.

from memory you need to navigate to the podcast about GDV

Will find the link if I still have it.http://www.akc-akcchf.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=504174

Edited by frufru

What breed?

Dobermann

How old was the dog?

10 yrs

Not known-rescue

A mix of mince & rice/pasta & lamb shank

Once a day

Slightly elevated...on first step of porch

At home in yard

no

Has he had a gastrowhatsit? LOL (too lazy to look it up, but you'll know :D )

Dog had absorption problems was on medication for this

Did not survive first episode

No

Did it have surgery?

No

Tried to pass tube

What breed?

Dane X deerhound

How old was the dog?

don't know

Soaked Bonnie , RMB

Twice

slightly off the ground- only a few inches

It was before he was fed- he grabbed about a dozen meatybites off the ground from where they spilled ( we only had them as an emergency measure that once - he was never fed them)

no - didn't survive the first

Has he had a gastrowhatsit? LOL (too lazy to look it up, but you'll know )

no

no

yes

Did it have surgery?

No - he was PTS

I phoned a vet,and I gave him degas capsules when I realised, but he had already torsioned. Due to long distance from a vet,and on vet advice I had to euthanise him.

What breed?

Chesapeake Bay Rt

How old was the dog?

Unknown she was from Chessy Rescue

Nutros dry with rice and meat but she was a garbage gut and would steal anything

Twice a day

On the ground at first. Elevated after incident.

At home in the middle of the night.

Yes but only twisted once.

Has he had a gastrowhatsit? LOL (too lazy to look it up, but you'll know :laugh: )

Yes

Yes but not twisted

Yes

Did it have surgery?

Yes

Tube then surgery and im pretty sure they sewed the stomach as to not twist again. She recovered and lived to 15.

I listened to a podcast the other day (USA) that did a really good summary of reserarch to date - highlighted that the best indicator of potential to bloat was having a first degree relative.

from memory you need to navigate to the podcast about GDV

Will find the link if I still have it.http://www.akc-akcchf.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=504174

Yep, 60% in one report I read. Others give different figures.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Keep them coming. I'll tell you why later.

Thanks SAS, I had read that report. :laugh:

Edited by Jed

What breed?

Bull Terrier (Miniature)

How old was the dog?

No

BARF diet

Once per day

On ground

Eating

No

Has he had a gastrowhatsit? LOL (too lazy to look it up, but you'll know :laugh: )

Yes

No

Yes

Did it have surgery?

Yes

Surgery to untwist the stomach and fix it in place. Another operation later that week to remove the piece of brisket bone from his esophagus that caused the bloat.

What breed? Great Dane

How old was the dog? 2.5 years

Was there a familial component? Yes, her father died of bloat.

What was the dog being fed? Need some detail of what exactly - if dry food, which one, if raw, what it was She had chicken carcasses and Bonnie dryfood

How often was he fed? Once daily or more? Twice daily

Was his bowl elevated, or on the ground? On the ground

What was he doing when he bloated? (ie, at a show, at home, playing, at home alone) Home alone

Has he bloated more than once? She died from this episode, this was her first bloat.

Has he had a gastrowhatsit? LOL (too lazy to look it up, but you'll know ) No

Did he ever bloat after that? See above

Did the dog also suffer GDV Yes, her stomach twisted, which is why she died.

Did it have surgery? See above

What was done to relieve the bloat? We found her dead and bloated. The vet suspects she drank too much water too quickly because it was a hot day, and she hadn't had any recent meals.

My other dog, a Lab x, bloats frequently. He gulps his food down very quickly and often gets a very distended stomach. He has never torsed though. It just seems to be one of his quirks.

This is a really interesting thread. I've seen a few at work, but couldnt give a lot of details about their history unfortunately. I've seen a bloated OES, BC x, Min Poodle and a few mini Dachshunds.

Must say too, after reading the results so far, I'm glad I had a prophylactic pexy done when Porp was desexed

I think like a lot of other people with large, deep chested breeds that this is one of my worst fears.

Many thanks to those people who have shared information, even though they have lost their dogs. I cannot help to think that by sharing you must be reliving the pain.