Hard To Mate Female

zzz Top

I have a 5 year old cocker spaniel who has had 1 litter 2 years ago,

It took 3 seasons to get her to mate she stands very nice and the male is the same one. He has had 3 litter with a different female and is the 1 she mated with, I then gave her a year off and have tryed to mate her the next two seasons no good Has anybody got any ideas?

I have a 5 year old cocker spaniel who has had 1 litter 2 years ago,

It took 3 seasons to get her to mate she stands very nice and the male is the same one. He has had 3 litter with a different female and is the 1 she mated with, I then gave her a year off and have tryed to mate her the next two seasons no good Has anybody got any ideas?

I would be getting her tested to see if there are any repro problems.

Does her vulva swell and come down normally? I have a bitch here that she is very slighty inverted (not sure if that is the word) and am finding it hard to get a tie from a very experienced dog. Although she has had pups before.

Question is are you acutally getting a good tie or more?

Not clear on what the problem is.

Is it

a) She stands but won't let him actually mate her.

b) She stands but he does not want to mate her

c) She mates with him but does not get pregnant.

A tie is not needed for the bitch to get pregnant. As long as he gets in her & ejaculates that does the trick.

Its just easier for us to know if we see them tie.

I am a reg breeder and yes she is just what you want from a breed bitch.

I live in the middle of Aus and there is only 1 vets here and he has had a look at her and can't find anything wrong.

She stands he tryes a lot.

Not sure if the tied the time she had a litter did not see it.

I do have a new stud but will have to wait till he is of age to see if this helps.

Thanks for your comments

Does her vulva swell and come down normally? I have a bitch here that she is very slighty inverted (not sure if that is the word) and am finding it hard to get a tie from a very experienced dog. Although she has had pups before.

Question is are you acutally getting a good tie or more?

She does swell but i was thinking maybe it is not at the right angle as well.

Yep AI. IF I cant get a mating and the bitch is standing rearing to go, I AI to cover her for a couple of days whilst he/she gets it together and actually gets a mating or AI all the way through if need be.

If the vet says there is no reason why you shouldnt get a natural mating, then I would say it's got more to do with the dog. Since you havent tried her with another dog you wont know.

Our matings are always supervised & our dogs are taught to be handled during this time.

Your bitch may need her rear end propped up(towels) to make it easier for the male to mate.

You really need to see what is happening to now where to start,

He may need help with direction & the likes which means getting on your hands/knees & assiting or do the mating on a table which ours will do

Yep AI. IF I cant get a mating and the bitch is standing rearing to go, I AI to cover her for a couple of days whilst he/she gets it together and actually gets a mating .

If thats the case, you do an AI then a couple of days later you get a tie.

Do you register the litter as an AI??

What if the pups are born early or late and you can't tell tell if they are the result of an AI or a natural mating?

BB

Yep AI. IF I cant get a mating and the bitch is standing rearing to go, I AI to cover her for a couple of days whilst he/she gets it together and actually gets a mating .

What if the pups are born early or late and you can't tell tell if they are the result of an AI or a natural mating?

BB

AI is only considered AI if it is chilled or frozen seamen.

BB

There is no need to register the litter as AI if it's fresh AI. It's only when it's chilled or frozen where vet intervention is needed and transcervical or surgical AI is required. Fresh AI with dog and bitch in the same location is regarded as good as and same as a natural mating. Therefore in answer to your second question I still start counting the 63 days from the first AI. I dont AI before the bitch is willing to accept the male. If a bitch is standing and accepting the male and you get a mating you count from that day yes? Same deal, but the AI has been done because something has put a holt to the mating process (bitch has a stricture, bitch is snappy and no co-operating, dog cant get it together, dog blows his stack before her gets in, dog hits and misses, the list is endless.)

The last 2 couplings I have overseen there have been AI's for various reasons. One was because the bitch had a stricture and the only way to get a mating was through AI. We performed 4 AI's, bitch conceived and delivered 6 puppies naturally 63 days later. The second was an inexperienced stud dog learning the ropes. Bitch had been standing for 2 days, he was stuffing around not getting the job done, so AI'd. Next day slip mating, next day he wasted it on the floor. The following mating we decided to collect him and inseminate as we didnt want him to waste it on the floor. The following day we got a tie. So he got the full experience for his first stud. First AI and last tie were a week apart. The ultrasound indicates that the first AI was the one she conceived from. Regardless 63 days from the first AI is when I'd count from.